U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 09:53 AM

177 posts, read 233,727 times

Advertisements

This guy is a dick. Poor man being ripped off by the police for going 25% over the speed limit. The speed limit is this low for a reason. I am tired of idiots like him endangering kids and pets by speeding through residential areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 10:38 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,453,691 times
He films this video thinking he's an Einstein and people will appreciate his cleverness. He dumped two buckets of coin saying that's exact change. Exact change for who? Claims the person who brought it in - yes that's very believable. Lady should have stopped him and let him wait while she does the counting.

Old 05-31-2016, 10:48 AM

9,525 posts, read 13,362,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
It's really not that big of a deal. One can just take said pennies to the bank, drop them in the machine, and have it count it for you at a 2% fee. No one has to individually count every single penny.
Whose pocket do you think that fee would have come out of? The city? Not Likely, meaning either some poor clerk did sit and count or someone in that office took the money from their own pocket, or maybe out of a general slush fund if they had one. I do hope they made the moron stick around until the amount was verified.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:09 AM

7,790 posts, read 5,351,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Whose pocket do you think that fee would have come out of? The city? Not Likely, meaning either some poor clerk did sit and count or someone in that office took the money from their own pocket, or maybe out of a general slush fund if they had one. I do hope they made the moron stick around until the amount was verified.
Debit/Credit transactions also cost the business, which is why many agencies charge fees for processing. Last time I paid a ticket with a card, I was assessed a $5 fee.

Maybe just add a 4% convenience fee for cash transactions? Just in case?

Old 05-31-2016, 12:32 PM

11,095 posts, read 6,596,198 times
Quote:
It's really not that big of a deal. One can just take said pennies to the bank, drop them in the machine, and have it count it for you at a 2% fee. No one has to individually count every single penny.
The clerk took the pennies to a Coinstar location, which has a 10.9% fee.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
The clerk took the pennies to a Coinstar location, which has a 10.9% fee.

I use a FCU affiliate, and inside each branch is a machine that charges 2%. I forget the name of the machine -- it's not Coinstar. Publix has them in their stores also, but they charge more. When I used TD Bank, there was no fee.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:41 PM

2,659 posts, read 2,825,072 times
In semi -suburban areas limits are often set on what may be 10% of the length driven on a road section. Often the 90% can easily be a higher speed safely, but it's difficult(?) to post changes multiple times. People who frequent these roads know this and tend to drive faster on those stretches ... where the police can easily set up traps to generate business.

"Safe" speed also varies depending on the time of day, traffic, and other conditions but of course speed limits don't.

Another annoying tactic is to set up a drop in speed on the outskirts and/or entry to a town or section that may call for a reduced speed, coming from a higher speed which may have been for miles. A great place to trap the newby passerby and even some locals.

Nevertheless, someone has to pay the town and the others who get a cut...the pennies are sorta dumb but (if he was 'gamed' somehow) I admire the guys annoyance. There isn't much that can be done and often it is unfair under the circumstances. Try following the cop, magistrate, or town officials home and see what s/he does.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
I use a FCU affiliate, and inside each branch is a machine that charges 2%. I forget the name of the machine -- it's not Coinstar. Publix has them in their stores also, but they charge more. When I used TD Bank, there was no fee.

Good for you? I'm sure this clerk didn't have the time to run all over town trying to find which machine has the lowest fee. She mostly likely had other things to do with her time, and couldn't just spend the day on this one guy who thought he was sticking it to the man by paying in pennies.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Good for you? I'm sure this clerk didn't have the time to run all over town trying to find which machine has the lowest fee. She mostly likely had other things to do with her time, and couldn't just spend the day on this one guy who thought he was sticking it to the man by paying in pennies.
Just making a statement that there are NUMEROUS alternatives to using a 10.9%-fee'd machine in pretty much any town, and it shouldn't require anyone to "run all over town" to find one. I'm sure this agency uses a bank to make deposits? Wouldn't common sense dictate that she should have taken the change to said bank, as opposed to run into a Wal-Mart with 22,000 pennies? Other things to do with her time; seems like she chose a much more time-consuming alternative.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Just making a statement that there are NUMEROUS alternatives to using a 10.9%-fee'd machine in pretty much any town, and it shouldn't require anyone to "run all over town" to find one. I'm sure this agency uses a bank to make deposits? Wouldn't common sense dictate that she should have taken the change to said bank, as opposed to run into a Wal-Mart with 22,000 pennies? Other things to do with her time; seems like she chose a much more time-consuming alternative.
Or maybe that was the coin machine at the bank they use. They're not just in Wal-Mart.

But know what would have been an even better alternative that wasn't time-consuming? The guy could have not been a complete jerk to the clerk, and just payed his speeding ticket like any other normal person does. Then there wouldn't have been a concern about trying to get the lowest fee to turn the coins into cash, or having to roll 22,000 pennies to just deposit them at the bank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events