U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 04:07 PM

11,572 posts, read 17,506,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by linda814 View Post
I worked at a court for years taking people's money for tickets and traffic fines. ..One man did this to us too...not as many and they were mixed coins...our Court Administrator refused it unless it was rolled...he left. .no scene..didn't put it all over the media etc..came back with bills....Places have signs they won't accept anything higher than a $20 bill.

While federal law states that coins are legal tender, it does not compel anyone to accept them. If a business doesn't want to take pennies or a $100 bill, for that matter it has a legal right to refuse them.

From an article in Time Magazine. .
That's correct.

This is nothing new. You hear about this from time to time, people attempt to pay in pennies. Frequently actually, it almost never works. There are several ways this could have gone down:
-The clerk could have (rightfully so) agreed to accept payment.
-He could have been charged with disorderly conduct or some other offense for dumping pennies all over the counter and creating a nuicance.
-He could have been asked to roll it all before accepting payment (and he would be there all night likely).

He is very lucky the first and second event did not occur. Now he simply comes off as a vindictive d-bag. How did this action help the rest of us if he felt it was an unjust fine? It doesn't even help himself.

So some poorly paid clerk now has to spend time sweeping it up, using taxpayer dollars perhaps to work overtime. Manual labor on the back of the working class, paid for by taxpayers. Way to go anti-hero, you showed the justice system.

Last edited by Dd714; 05-31-2016 at 04:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 12:35 AM

4,093 posts, read 2,823,415 times
I feel sorry for the lady, she seemed to be quite nice when he approached her window. If he wanted to inconvenience somebody, he should've contested the charges which would've forced the officer who wrote the ticket to appear in court.

The fine was excessive, especially for <10MPH over the limit.

I'd like to know if this 30MPH speed limit is indeed on a residential street, as some on this thread have speculated.

Old 06-01-2016, 01:14 AM

11,039 posts, read 6,579,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
I feel sorry for the lady, she seemed to be quite nice when he approached her window. If he wanted to inconvenience somebody, he should've contested the charges which would've forced the officer who wrote the ticket to appear in court.

The fine was excessive, especially for <10MPH over the limit.

I'd like to know if this 30MPH speed limit is indeed on a residential street, as some on this thread have speculated.

He did try to fight it in court, even went through a jury trial. But since he lost, he had to come up with some other way to feel good about speeding through his neighborhood. And yes, it was on a residential street in his neighborhood.

Frisco Man Pays Speeding Ticket With Buckets of Pennies | NBC Chicago

I wonder if the fine was so high because he chose to have a jury trial and lost? I've never heard of a jury trial for a speeding ticket, so it seems like he must have appealed the ticket a number of times. Seems like the court costs would start to add up.

Old 06-01-2016, 01:53 AM

8,871 posts, read 4,832,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
..........I wonder if the fine was so high because he chose to have a jury trial and lost? I've never heard of a jury trial for a speeding ticket, so it seems like he must have appealed the ticket a number of times. Seems like the court costs would start to add up.
I'm also wondering what he was driving.

That video I posted earlier, about the difference that 5 kmph/3 mph makes, got me thinking tonight of how that little of speed could make so much difference......

.........and then it hit me that the cars overseas are often a lot less than what we have here in the US.....and now we are talking about Texas.

Perhaps in the jury's eyes, driving 9 mph in excess in a full size pick up, if that is what it was, does make it quite serious indeed.

Old 06-01-2016, 02:17 AM

11,039 posts, read 6,579,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Perhaps in the jury's eyes, driving 9 mph in excess in a full size pick up, if that is what it was, does make it quite serious indeed.
I was wondering what the jury was even supposed to be deciding. He didn't get a reckless driving ticket, he got a speeding ticket. He admitted to being guilty of speeding, so what was the purpose of the jury trial?

Old 06-01-2016, 03:12 AM

8,871 posts, read 4,832,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I was wondering what the jury was even supposed to be deciding. He didn't get a reckless driving ticket, he got a speeding ticket. He admitted to being guilty of speeding, so what was the purpose of the jury trial?

Decided to do a little research, see if I could bring up the trial. Came up with something else instead:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Brett+Sanders

There is a possibility that he draws attention to himself, right or wrong, intentionally.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:07 AM

6,131 posts, read 4,062,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
A jackass who speeds in a residential area endangering his fellow citizens acts like a jackass in paying his fine by taking advantage of a civil servant. Where's the news in that, FOX25? Although I bet there are a lot of his fellow jackasses out there who think he's cool.
I nominate you to be the screamer of cars on a road in my turf which is a 25mph zone and has signs for "slow down or pay" as well as a speed register at one area and police speed traps who still don't otherwise. I DO the 25mph or a tad less and get tailgated almost all of the time.

But yeah, I agree that not only endangered others but cost taxpayers even more money in paying the fine.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:24 AM

5,147 posts, read 3,608,589 times
I think that him paying in 22,000 pennies was an asshat move. Really, making a low level clerk suffer for the fine and speeding?

As for whether the fine was justified, I would have to know the road, traffic conditions, its surroundings, the kind of car he was driving, and the driver's experience and accident record. I'm inclined to say that it was justified but too high, because if he'd been going just 5 mph slower he would have probably been okay (fines for speeding 1-4 over are NEVER justified - if 1-4 over is dangerous, lower the speed limit). 9 over can be an honest mistake, I typically keep to 32-33 on a 30 but I've got up to 39 unconsciously - that's extremely rare for me though. I've never had a ticket or even a fender bender, and I'm 23. On the other hand, under certain conditions (heavy traffic, kids playing, inclement weather, etc) the fine could have been wholly justified.

As another poster said, Texas adds $85 in fees/court costs to each fine. Take off the $85 and $135 seems like a reasonable fine. That said all of the governments should have to stop tacking court costs, etc onto tickets... if you want to give someone a $200 fine, for instance, don't give them a ticket that says $100 then tack $100 of BS onto it. Just say $200.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:50 AM

9,451 posts, read 7,600,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Joke's on him since he didn't even use his own pennies - he went to a bank and bought rolls that he had to break apart. It is too bad though that our taxpayer money has to go to someone having to count it out. If it was me I'd make HIM count it out when he was paying...THAT would be hilarious!
Yes. The clerk should have required this idiot to count it out instead of just dumping change all over the counter and floor. The police could then arrest him for littering AND disorderly conduct.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:08 AM

4,093 posts, read 2,823,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Yes. The clerk should have required this idiot to count it out instead of just dumping change all over the counter and floor. The police could then arrest him for littering AND disorderly conduct.
I don't know what's more ridiculous, the notion that the court clerk has the authority to force the citizen to count the money, or the notion that his behavior constitutes disorderly conduct under the Texas Penal Code.
PENAL CODE CHAPTER 42. DISORDERLY CONDUCT AND RELATED OFFENSES
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events