U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 12:00 PM

1,129 posts, read 683,004 times

Advertisements

Even if it is OK to go out of your way to run over a guy sitting on a motorcycle. How is it OK to injure or kill the woman on the back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 01:56 PM

325 posts, read 188,532 times
The driver of that car is so $*(#(*@@(# dumb.

Old 06-01-2016, 02:35 PM

605 posts, read 316,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHfan View Post
Not unreasonable? He instigated a violent action when he could have drove away and called 911. What he did was stupid and a felony. He had other options.
Umm, I'm not so sure. Remember the Land Rover driver who ran over the motorcyclists in NYC a couple of years ago? He was in the SUV with his family. He was being intimidated by a group of motorcyclists who blocked his way on the Henry Hudson Parkway. He panicked, and drove over a couple of them. The guy in the Land Rover wasn't charged. 15 motorcyclists were arrested.

It's hard to get the whole story from that video. It's hard to tell if there was something blocking the way directly ahead of him. I don't think this can be dismissed as road rage. I think the guy was scared, and he panicked. From that video, we can't tell what his options were.

I'm not saying he was right to do what he did. If I had some big bearded idiot on a Harley in my face intimidating me, I'd have called 911. But that's me.

--

Old 06-01-2016, 02:44 PM

1,166 posts, read 509,289 times
Quote:
Not unreasonable? He instigated a violent action when he could have drove away and called 911. What he did was stupid and a felony. He had other options.

I wouldn't be so sure about your assessment. It will ultimately be up to a jury to decide and I would be willing to bet that at least one member of that jury will have seen bikers acting like thugs more than once. You have a burly, leather clad biker with a group of his fellow leather clad bikers all looking and acting like wannabe 1%ers, verbally confronting and threatening the driver of the car for what they claimed was poor driving. There is no provision in the law for vigilante bikers to hand out beatdowns for what they perceive as dangerous driving. Since the bikers had already proven that they were aggressive and willing to become violent and they were on motorcycles and could have simply chased the car down if he drove away, I would consider it totally reasonable to drive over the ringleader and hope that it took some of the fight out of a gang of feral Harley riders.

What I find really interesting is that if the car driver had been armed with a gun and shot the biker instead, he would almost certainly not be facing any charges due to Florida's self defense laws. To most people, a large leather clad biker that is being verbally aggressive, using profanity and telling you to get out of your car would be considered a threat and justify the use of deadly force.

Old 06-01-2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
Umm, I'm not so sure. Remember the Land Rover driver who ran over the motorcyclists in NYC a couple of years ago? He was in the SUV with his family. He was being intimidated by a group of motorcyclists who blocked his way on the Henry Hudson Parkway. He panicked, and drove over a couple of them. The guy in the Land Rover wasn't charged. 15 motorcyclists were arrested.

It's hard to get the whole story from that video. It's hard to tell if there was something blocking the way directly ahead of him. I don't think this can be dismissed as road rage. I think the guy was scared, and he panicked. From that video, we can't tell what his options were.

I'm not saying he was right to do what he did. If I had some big bearded idiot on a Harley in my face intimidating me, I'd have called 911. But that's me.

--
UPDATE: The Florida Highway Patrol has amended the charges against Robert Vance. He is now charged with two counts of attempted murder. Vance is still charged with leaving the scene of a crash with injury and driving with a suspended license. Florida Highway Patrol says Vance is classified as a habitual traffic offender.

Vance has an extensive criminal history that includes two stints in state prison. Hes been convicted previously on drug, burglary and felony traffic charges out of Brevard County.

Still think the guy was just scared. You can try to defend the idiot all you want but the fact is he backed up to run over the couple on the bike. Sounds like rage to me.

Old 06-01-2016, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
I wouldn't be so sure about your assessment. It will ultimately be up to a jury to decide and I would be willing to bet that at least one member of that jury will have seen bikers acting like thugs more than once. You have a burly, leather clad biker with a group of his fellow leather clad bikers all looking and acting like wannabe 1%ers, verbally confronting and threatening the driver of the car for what they claimed was poor driving. There is no provision in the law for vigilante bikers to hand out beatdowns for what they perceive as dangerous driving. Since the bikers had already proven that they were aggressive and willing to become violent and they were on motorcycles and could have simply chased the car down if he drove away, I would consider it totally reasonable to drive over the ringleader and hope that it took some of the fight out of a gang of feral Harley riders.

What I find really interesting is that if the car driver had been armed with a gun and shot the biker instead, he would almost certainly not be facing any charges due to Florida's self defense laws. To most people, a large leather clad biker that is being verbally aggressive, using profanity and telling you to get out of your car would be considered a threat and justify the use of deadly force.
The car diver was already a felon. Carrying a gun is automatic jail.

Old 06-01-2016, 02:58 PM

6,805 posts, read 3,302,669 times
Quote:
I think there was a car in front of him and he had no where to go.

Old 06-01-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
I think there was a car in front of him and he had no where to go.
You think there was a car in front of him doesn't prove there was one there. He backed up to run over the bike.

Old 06-01-2016, 03:16 PM

2,746 posts, read 3,460,999 times
Hard for me to find sympathy for a motorcyclist most of them are complete a holes. From harley riders to crotch rockets. The harleys ripping up quiet residential neighborhoods giving people heart attacks with the noise. Crotch rockets racing up the highway driving between cars and on the shoulder when traffic is backed up. Plenty of stories.

I also find it funny when they are stopped at a light they always feel the need to have a conversation with each other while they are waiting for the light to change

Old 06-01-2016, 03:18 PM

6,805 posts, read 3,302,669 times
Quote:
You think there was a car in front of him doesn't prove there was one there. He backed up to run over the bike.

Hahaha! Did I say it proved anything?

It MAY have explained why he backed up, and then ran into the lane of the motorcycle. That's pretty much what I would have done if I was blocked in and there were a bunch of bikers that were confronting me that I thought might be armed and life-threatening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or