U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 10:12 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,040,293 times

Advertisements

The original thread for this was closed because too many people could not frame their opinions without insulting someone. If people attempt to use this thread to rehash that it will also be closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 10:33 AM

2,054 posts, read 984,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
The new one looks much better. Here's a picture of the old one:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-syxeVV3ZYM...0/IMG_5171.JPG

I don't see much of a barrier there.

Old 06-03-2016, 10:46 AM

1,679 posts, read 2,177,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
I don't see much of a barrier there.
Exactly. This is why I stated that I think the barrier should be tall, and people will still be able to see the exhibit.

Old 06-03-2016, 11:50 AM

20,872 posts, read 22,451,999 times
Some of the barriers I have seen at zoos are tall and wide but the spaces between the wires are large enough for small feet to use as a ladder to climb. And I have seen little kids trying to climb them. The height usually deters them but then if you get just one kid who is agile enough to make it, that's all that needs to happen for him to make it over the top.

Last time my friend and I went to the zoo we saw this happening. There were some kids trying to climb the fences. My friend yelled at them to get down. They did. I don't know where the parents were.

As I mentioned before, I am afraid that some parents will think all fences or barriers are foolproof and will think they don't have to watch their kids.

Old 06-03-2016, 11:56 AM

6,306 posts, read 3,483,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
Exactly. This is why I stated that I think the barrier should be tall, and people will still be able to see the exhibit.
If the barrier is taller than most people and it's designed to be unclimbable, then how will people be able to see the exhibit? The only barrier I can think of that might work on both counts would be Plexiglass, and it would be quickly scratched up, as it's very soft.

Old 06-03-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
If the barrier is taller than most people and it's designed to be unclimbable, then how will people be able to see the exhibit? The only barrier I can think of that might work on both counts would be Plexiglass, and it would be quickly scratched up, as it's very soft.
Zoos do use Plexiglass barriers to view the animals at eye level all the time. Usually the people walk down underneath the exhibit to see animals swimming underwater but sometimes like in the case of the big cats they are often ground level.

I found this to be an interesting article written in 2012 regarding barriers and the fact that there is no barrier from stupidity.

Zoo officials: Toddler's death in Pittsburgh shows no zoo is 100 percent safe - U.S. News

Old 06-03-2016, 04:36 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,177,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Some of the barriers I have seen at zoos are tall and wide but the spaces between the wires are large enough for small feet to use as a ladder to climb. And I have seen little kids trying to climb them. The height usually deters them but then if you get just one kid who is agile enough to make it, that's all that needs to happen for him to make it over the top.

Last time my friend and I went to the zoo we saw this happening. There were some kids trying to climb the fences. My friend yelled at them to get down. They did. I don't know where the parents were.

As I mentioned before, I am afraid that some parents will think all fences or barriers are foolproof and will think they don't have to watch their kids.
They used to have the tall wire ones and no incident. Now granted it is appealing for some children to climb, but they are not going to make it to the top and go over.

Old 06-03-2016, 06:49 PM

6,306 posts, read 3,483,383 times
Quote:
They used to have the tall wire ones and no incident. Now granted it is appealing for some children to climb, but they are not going to make it to the top and go over.
Ignored for a long enough period of time, some children absolutely WILL climb all the way up and go over.

That's the big problem: no safety barrier is 100% insurmountable, and none is an effective substitute for watchful parenting.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Maybe, maybe not. I wouldn't want to take the chance.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:38 PM

14,945 posts, read 16,541,636 times
The gorilla exhibit at the Cincinnati Zoo was built in 1978.

That means it has been accessible to zoo patrons for 38 years.

The Cincinnati Zoo receives approximately 1.5 million visitors per year.

That means roughly 57 million (57,000,000) people have potentially viewed that exhibit without a single child crawling in and being accosted by a gorilla. Until last week.

The existing barrier is just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or