U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 11:00 AM

8,319 posts, read 8,596,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manteca man View Post
Like the killer taunting the grieving parent? Would you sue the killer for instigating the fracas, or would you go after the person from whom you knew you could collect damages?

Actually, the killer made the family members come to court. Had he not killed multiple people, to include their innocent daughter, the father would not have been there to lash out, nor need to. See how that works? No one made YOU come to court as well. There ARE other jobs out there.

All that said, people die every day in this world and we don't lose sleep over them, and most of those people dying didn't do anything to deserve an early death. Scum like this killer, though, their deaths at the hands of their victim's family members should give us a very good night's sleep indeed.
I'd sue the person who threw the punches. You don't seem to get something. The killer didn't instigate what occurred in the court room. The person who resorted to physical violence there did. I agree they were provoked. However, the point is that, in life, you don't get to act out just because someone provokes you. If you do, there are consequences, particularly if your behavior takes place in a court of law where decorum is critical to its very ability to function.

The father had no need to come to court. The process was taking care of what needed to be taken care. No one other than someone accused with a crime and court officials has a "right" to be in court. As a courtesy, and during good behavior, they are allowed to attend. Fail to behave and you can be prevented from ever attending court again.

No one should have to accept the risk of being assaulted in court. It just shouldn't happen period. Anyone engaging in that behavior should face consequences. If an innocent person is hurt in court because of their actions, than consequences should be severe.

People like you just don't seem to get that there is a reason why we have courts. If we don't take steps to prevent this kind of a thing, we would very soon not have courts have all. It strikes to the very heart of the judicial system.

If you can't behave in court:

1. Don't come.

2. You aren't welcome.

3. Spare the rest of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 02:53 PM

609 posts, read 509,792 times
I agree. Save taxpayer's money on lethal injections,
the electric chair and gas for the gas chamber. If a
family member is willing to carry out the execution
then so be it. A crime as hideous as this one (the monster
that did this is believed to have cut off the limbs of at least
one of the victims while she was still alive) I would have no
problem carrying out the job and I don't even know the victims
or their families.

Old 06-04-2016, 06:13 PM

418 posts, read 163,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
No one should have to accept the risk of being assaulted in court. It just shouldn't happen period. Anyone engaging in that behavior should face consequences. If an innocent person is hurt in court because of their actions, than consequences should be severe.
I'd say no one should have to accept the risk of their loved one being killed and mutilated either. It just shouldn't happen period.

Let me guess, you care about both situations equally.

Do you ever wonder WHY so many people on this forum seem so 'bloodthirsty,' for lack of a better term? Because they've lost trust in the system you believe in. They're tired of those who try and minimize every discomfort to the criminal element while sticking it to the victims and their families. About the only time criminals aren't defended is when rape is involved, and then it's 'don't blame the victims,' etc, etc.

I'd back a prison release program that places former offenders in the houses of those who defend criminals, who think they're no longer a threat to society, that they've paid their dues, and deserve a second chance. Oh, don't forget that they won't be armed (legally), so unarmed equals no threat to you or others. Put them in the guest bedroom next to your daughter.

Old 06-04-2016, 06:25 PM

4,766 posts, read 1,879,033 times
Great words Manteca.

I personally think the father should get 1 hour with that thing. Just one. I wouldn't care what he did either.

Old 06-04-2016, 06:40 PM

8,903 posts, read 4,844,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Great words Manteca.

I personally think the father should get 1 hour with that thing. Just one. I wouldn't care what he did either.
I would care because it is rather against the Constitution. I do not like it when politicians try to do things that are against the document, no matter how reasonable their argument may be...................

.............................and I don't think we ought to be allowing private citizens to do it, either.

If it becomes okay for citizens to "do it"..........................then what is to stop the politicians?

Old 06-04-2016, 07:49 PM

8,319 posts, read 8,596,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manteca man View Post
I'd say no one should have to accept the risk of their loved one being killed and mutilated either. It just shouldn't happen period.

Let me guess, you care about both situations equally.

Do you ever wonder WHY so many people on this forum seem so 'bloodthirsty,' for lack of a better term? Because they've lost trust in the system you believe in. They're tired of those who try and minimize every discomfort to the criminal element while sticking it to the victims and their families. About the only time criminals aren't defended is when rape is involved, and then it's 'don't blame the victims,' etc, etc.

I'd back a prison release program that places former offenders in the houses of those who defend criminals, who think they're no longer a threat to society, that they've paid their dues, and deserve a second chance. Oh, don't forget that they won't be armed (legally), so unarmed equals no threat to you or others. Put them in the guest bedroom next to your daughter.
Less than 1% of families do something similar to what this man did.. So, its easy for me to reject your premise that "the public has lost faith in the system".

Just beecause a few people can't contain themselves doesn't mean the system requires massive changes. What it requires is more respect for the law. If education won't work, than penalties have to be applied.

*Again, its necessary because it strikes at the heart of ability of the system to function.

*(Will be repeated until this last statement is understood)

Old 06-04-2016, 11:20 PM

615 posts, read 379,730 times
the families of victims should be able to legally do this...why are the criminals protected? makes no sense....they shouldn't be allowed to sit there and breathe after taking someone's life like that

Old 06-05-2016, 08:02 AM

11,062 posts, read 6,230,230 times
The convicted murderer was sitting feet away from this grieving father in court as he read his victim impact statement. The father spoke of his 18 year old murdered daughter saying,

“I was thinking about how he mutilated my child, how you cut my child, and you did all this while my child was still alive so you caused my baby great pain,” he said."

The killer was smiling, seeming to enjoy this father's torment. Evil doesn't begin to describe this convicted killer.

The judge sentenced the serial killer to the death penalty and he will likely live in prison for decades before he pays for his crime, if ever.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 06-05-2016 at 08:12 AM..

Old 06-05-2016, 08:22 AM

2,367 posts, read 1,525,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reen79 View Post
the families of victims should be able to legally do this...why are the criminals protected? makes no sense....they shouldn't be allowed to sit there and breathe after taking someone's life like that
No, they really shouldn't, although I understand the emotion involved in that statement.

First, we are not animals, and a democratic society cant exist under the will of the strongest. Which would be why we have laws in the first place. What if the criminal is able to kill or beat down the victim's family member instead - where would the justice be in that?

Second, what if the justice that has been applied proves in time to be fallible? There are still plenty of innocent people convicted of criminal activity, including torturous rape and murder We see example after example of people who are eventually released because DNA or other evidence finally comes forth, and proves beyond any doubt that the person convicted is innocent of the crime.

I'm not saying that that happened here, but it does happen. What good citizen wants to be responsible for killing or harming someone that it is eventually proven was indeed innocent? Would that same person now admit their guilt of their own crime?

Two wrongs don't make a right, and the attack may have felt good at the moment - but nothing is going to undo the torture and death of that man's child over the long haul.

It should be enough for the average citizen to feel there is one less psychopath on the streets.

Last edited by ConeyGirl52; 06-05-2016 at 08:33 AM..

Old 06-05-2016, 08:34 AM

11,062 posts, read 6,230,230 times
As the OP said, it is a wonder more family members don't try and take revenge against such creatures as Michael Madison. It boggles the mind how many grieving families can sit in court a mere feet from the person responsible for the loss of their loved one and restrain themselves. The civility of most families who suffer such a horrific loss speaks volumes about our citizens and our respect for the law. However, I don't think I could be so close in proximity to the man who tortured and murdered my 18 year old, innocent daughter without doing the same thing this father did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or