Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 04:34 PM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I wonder how many of you people being negative consider yourself "Christian"
Consular Affairs policy is not based on any religion, your question is irrelevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 05:27 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,085,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
In Honduras, both the woman and doctor face prison time in cases of an abortion. It doesn't matter what the circumstances are. I think it varies from country to country based more on culture than religion, but I could be wrong.
Then this sad little creature and its mother should be sent home posthaste so that the Honduran people and their culture can deal with the financial consequences of such policy. America has better ways to spend, er, waste, it's tax dollars.

Old 06-04-2016, 05:40 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Ok well I am a plain old white lady and I have the same question.
I already answered the question, but I'll play. Are you anti-American?

Old 06-04-2016, 06:22 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,244,991 times
I have a friend of a friend who is an emergency room dr on Long Island and he says it's very popular for south americans to come here without any insurance or a way to pay for it to step off a plane and wind up at the emergency room to get a full health work up.

It's a terrible loop hole in our medical system and those folks know about it and work the system to their advantage.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:12 PM

37,103 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
A cure is unlikely?

That isn't the goal. It is a perfectly reasonable and obtainable medical goal to develop medicines that lower viral load and prevent transmission to the fetus during pregnancy. And you are wrong again, a mother child pair with Zina antibodies would absolutely help understand when and how much viral load is required for transmission.
Yes, a cure is unlikely.

This disease is not like HIV, for example, which usually does not cross the placenta. By the time Zika, which is already known to cross the placenta throughout pregnancy, is diagnosed, the fetus has already been exposed. With HIV, treating the mother to reduce viral load and treating the baby with anti-HIV drugs at birth can help keep the baby from being infected. That will not work with Zika.

In addition, Zika only affects the fetus if it is acquired during pregnancy. Again, by the time a mom knows she has it (and 20% of those who get it never know they had it), the baby has already been exposed. Lowering the viral load at that point would not be helpful. Those women who are infected prior to pregnancy will clear the virus and it will no longer be a threat to the baby. There is no chronic carrier state such as that with HIV and hepatitis B and C. It is not yet known how long protective antibodies last after Zika infection resolves. That is important to know, because it gives a baseline for vaccine developers. If the protection after wild infection is short lived, a vaccine might have to involve frequent boosters.

Viral load is not measured by antibody levels. You have to measure the virus itself. In addition, testing for Zika is currently difficult. Antibodies to Zika are hard to differentiate from antibodies to dengue with current technology.

Old 06-04-2016, 11:49 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,949,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
In Honduras, both the woman and doctor face prison time in cases of an abortion. It doesn't matter what the circumstances are. I think it varies from country to country based more on culture than religion, but I could be wrong.
Thanks! That is unfortunate when there is so little hope for a child at the time of birth.

Old 06-05-2016, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royy moore View Post
I am OUTRAGED that an applehead was snuck into our country. The Appleheads are a SEVERE THREAT to godly mothers and christian baybies. We need to BUILD Mr. Trumps wall now before more appleheads wash ashore and kill our economies!

I have more ideas for Mr Trump: Mr Trump should buy a million sizing wands to give to each postman. The should inspect each home and measre the baybie head. If it is smaller than coconut but about the size of a Granny Smith, then brother you have troubles right there!

What the H is an *applehead* and where was it stated that anyone "was snuck into our country"?

I don't like our system that allows for care of foreigners when American citizens are being turned away, but I'll take this woman and her child over someone like you any day.

Old 06-05-2016, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Thanks! That is unfortunate when there is so little hope for a child at the time of birth.
Yes, and some people don't believe in abortions, so personally have no choice. What a terrible thing to be faced with, and heartbreaking no matter how they proceed.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:35 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
There is not going to be any wall. Ok. Fughedaboutit. Trump is already walking back all the wall talk. I'm not sure how a wall would have helped in this case anyway. On final approach into any airport in our country's south an airliner would clear Trump's wall with more than 15,000 feet to spare.

When the top tax rate was 90% and there was no Capital Gains beeswax and the Tax Code was not the size of a NYC phone directory Americans were a lot more charitable. America will never be great again until we stop trying to run it by running middle class taxpayers into the ground!

We are just about a decade or less to the point where antibiotics, about the only thing Big Pharma ever invented that has actually worked, will no longer be effective against the many common maladies that affect humanity. Just about every STD you can name, TB, and our favorite MRSA, are getting to the point where they can no longer be controlled by our medicine.

In less than a decade it will not be advisable to go to a hospital for any other reason but a dire, dire, trauma related accident. Elective surgery will be history. And I don't see that Big Pharma cares! They know the issue but they do not care. The profit on Cancer drugs, Erectile Dysfunction drugs and the legacy antibiotics and chronic disease palliatives make so much wealth for them that they are uninterested in rolling up their sleeves and getting down to the hard work of coming up with 2nd Generation Antibiotics.

There will never be an HIV cure or vaccine, there will never be an Ebola cure or vaccine, we have evidence with the "cure" of Hep C that was introduced that cures will be unaffordable for any but the 1% wealth class. So I am not sure what the fuss in this thread is about. This is the America you all WANT! You get very agitated when anyone suggests tax increases on the wealthy or mandates or regulations on our Industrial Sector. This is the result. Stop complaining. Relax and enjoy.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:52 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I wonder how many of you people being negative consider yourself "Christian"

Being a Christian has nothing to do with this. A terrible, baby-destroying virus that we know little about, and have no cure for, has purposely been brought into our country. Anyone who has zero concerns about that is demonic, not human.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events