Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 03:11 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times

Advertisements

I feel some amount of sympathy for these women who are carrying babies that have the Zika virus, but this story raises a few questions for me. First and foremost, what kind of insurance does she have that a hospital in NYC is in her network? I know there are global locations now that are considered within network, but I'm just curious. And if there isn't any insurance, which I suspect, why are U.S. hospitals taking in foreigners and turning away citizens without insurance if they cannot pay upfront? Second, how was she allowed to fly so close to her birth? And finally, this is the first baby with Zika born here. Does her traveling here put anyone else at risk?

Story here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 04:21 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,879 times
Drown the damn thing!

Old 06-03-2016, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Drown the damn thing!
I know you're kidding, but for the sake of others let me state I have no interest in going after innocent women and children. I do have an interest in going after a system that allows this if the rest of us are paying for this while our own citizens are being refused treatment. And I'm also concerned about putting others at risk now.

Old 06-03-2016, 06:09 PM

860 posts, read 1,337,715 times
The risk is that if a mosquito bites either the baby or its mother, it could pick up the Zika virus and then spread it to other humans that it bites. So ultimately through mosquito to human to mosquito transmission everyone will be at risk, starting with the people closest to where this woman lives. Hopefully she goes back to Honduras before the mosquito season.

Old 06-03-2016, 06:16 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiru View Post
The risk is that if a mosquito bites either the baby or its mother, it could pick up the Zika virus and then spread it to other humans that it bites. So ultimately through mosquito to human to mosquito transmission everyone will be at risk, starting with the people closest to where this woman lives. Hopefully she goes back to Honduras before the mosquito season.
It's also possible to transmit Zika sexually. We've already had several cases in the US.

Old 06-03-2016, 06:22 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I know you're kidding, but for the sake of others let me state I have no interest in going after innocent women and children. I do have an interest in going after a system that allows this if the rest of us are paying for this while our own citizens are being refused treatment. And I'm also concerned about putting others at risk now.

I have an interest in not allowing women to enter this country for the sole purpose of flopping out babies who will then be supported by taxpayers. How's that?

Old 06-03-2016, 06:25 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,603,621 times
It's like we want it here.....just like Ebola. Why not fly to Cuba, it's got better hospitals?

Old 06-03-2016, 06:25 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,429,204 times
She's actually in New Jersey where she apparently has family however no sign of any insurance. The baby was born by caesarean ($$$$$) with visual and intestinal issues which means it will need special care ($$$$$) All to be paid by the American tax payer.

the best way I've heard this explained is; If you have a herd of cows would you introduce one with hoof and mouth just because you felt sorry for it?

Zika is already in this country and with people like this woman being allowed in will spread in no time.

Old 06-03-2016, 06:28 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Of note, Hackensack is a research hospital associated with the Rutgers School of Medicine, which is running a Zika project right now. The race is on to find a cure. While Hackensack may not have known she was coming, they probably weren't entirely unhappy to have a research subject show up in their OB waiting room.

Old 06-03-2016, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
I have an interest in not allowing women to enter this country for the sole purpose of flopping out babies who will then be supported by taxpayers. How's that?
Aren't we saying the same thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events