Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 01:29 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times

Advertisements

Some creepy stuff, would make a fascinating Forensics Files story.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...d-the-trigger/

Quote:
A possible murder witness is talking.

The question is whether anyone should listen.

His name is Bud, and he’s an African gray parrot in Ensley Township, Mich., with a filthy mouth, according to NBC affiliate WOOD-TV.

His latest phrase — the one he won’t stop shouting at the top of his lungs mimicking his owner’s voice — is a chilling one: “Don’t f—ing shoot!”

The bird’s antics might be laughed off, were it not for the fact that Bud’s owner, 45-year-old Martin Duram, was fatally shot at his home in May 2015, according to ABC affiliate WABC. His body was found near his wife, Glenna, who had suffered a gunshot wound to her head but is alive. Although police initially assumed Glenna Duram was a victim of the shooting, police reports obtained by WOOD-TV reveal that she is now a suspect in the slaying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3ldk1Vo09w
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 01:33 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,364,292 times
This could actually be true.

But could a parrot's testimony be accepted in court?

I don't think it's too far-fetched to be automatically dismissed as a possibility.

When a tracker dog follows the scent of a suspect or a victim, that's taken as evidence in court. Is a parrot less reliable than a canine?

Old 06-05-2016, 06:20 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
Sounds like a case for Perry Mason.

Old 06-05-2016, 06:30 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
This could actually be true.

But could a parrot's testimony be accepted in court?

I don't think it's too far-fetched to be automatically dismissed as a possibility.
No.

The parrot is not going to testify.

People might testify as to what the parrot heard. But the parrot most certainly will not. Because... it's a freakin' parrot.

Old 06-05-2016, 06:59 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
No.

The parrot is not going to testify.

People might testify as to what the parrot heard. But the parrot most certainly will not. Because... it's a freakin' parrot.

I doubt any credence could be given to this anyway because it means nothing. It could be something he heard on television. Or maybe the husband wanted to commit suicide and screw his wife on the way out so he taught the parrot the phrase, grazed the wife and took his life.

We've heard of weirder plots in real life, haven't we? Or did aliens abduct me and force me to watch some movie with this plot line on Lifetime TV?

Old 06-05-2016, 07:45 PM

10,019 posts, read 8,621,189 times
Bud said he knew who did commit it
but Bud is a bird and they would not permit it
So the bird took the stand,
and instead of his hand
He pointed his wing at the person who did it.

Old 06-06-2016, 04:16 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh
Sounds like a case for Perry Mason.
They should listen to the parrot!!!! (African Greys are quite good)

Old 06-06-2016, 05:04 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,641,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I doubt any credence could be given to this anyway because it means nothing. It could be something he heard on television. Or maybe the husband wanted to commit suicide and screw his wife on the way out so he taught the parrot the phrase, grazed the wife and took his life.

We've heard of weirder plots in real life, haven't we? Or did aliens abduct me and force me to watch some movie with this plot line on Lifetime TV?
That could be, but the bird is imitating the voices of the husband and wife. You can hear the distinct difference. One is the voice of a man and the other the voice of a woman. The bird actually recalls the argument between them before the man's voice says "don't effn shoot!".

Also, there aren't many (if ANY) TV shows, or movies for that matter, that use the 'f' word.

Old 06-06-2016, 06:42 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
That could be, but the bird is imitating the voices of the husband and wife. You can hear the distinct difference. One is the voice of a man and the other the voice of a woman. The bird actually recalls the argument between them before the man's voice says "don't effn shoot!".

Also, there aren't many (if ANY) TV shows, or movies for that matter, that use the 'f' word.

You must not have cable, or you just don't watch those shows.

Parrot's don't duplicate the exact voice, they just change the range and intonation to get a closer match between males and females. And you're assuming the bird "actually recalls the argument between them".
Nobody knows with any certainty that this is what happened.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:59 AM

759 posts, read 636,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
They should listen to the parrot!!!! (African Greys are quite good)
Indeed.

Those birds can not only repeat what they hear... a lot of times they can repeat it IN THE VOICE of the person they are mimicking.

I had an ex with an African Grey... and she used to yell for her son all the time in the house...

"Michael!"

... and the bird would randomly do it as well. I couldn't tell if it were her or the bird.

Also... the beep from the microwave. The bird would mimick that as well and again, you couldn't tell.

Lastly... I had some fun with it... I decided one day to see how smart he was... so every time I walked by his cage I'd say "Help! They've turned me into a parrot!"

In less than 48 hours the bird was saying it... clear as day.

Amazing creatures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events