Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2016, 12:50 AM

13,232 posts, read 7,286,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
There won't ever be another world war. And you don't need to school me on it, since my father was shot to pieces at The Bulge. My family is on top of the details of that conflict.

So, relax. Today's young ones who have enlisted will keep you and me safe.

America's future is assured.
Not with cowards in the back of that bus.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 02:14 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Does anyone remember Kitty Genovese?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Kitty_Genovese

Old 06-08-2016, 03:52 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,524,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
Like many of you, I was wondering why one or two of the other passengers didn't help but some people here in Washington seem to act so laid back, I'm not all that surprised. If I had been on that bus, I'd like to think that I would have tried to do something (I weigh 126 pounds but I do know self defense). While his back was to me, I would have tried to do anything to get him off the woman. I think a lot of people would and the behavior of some of the people on that particular bus doesn't reflect poorly on anyone other than themselves.

This happened in Port Angeles, Washington last Saturday, June 4.

I would not categorize Washington residents as "laid back".

Old 06-08-2016, 06:14 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Not with cowards in the back of that bus.

Maybe it's time for you to clean out the old Y2K bunker in the back yard, then.

Stock up on peanut butter and bottled water.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:22 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,032,982 times
In Hollywood and behind the keyboard everyone is productive, honest, righteous and a hero...

Old 06-08-2016, 09:23 AM

3,305 posts, read 8,555,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Did you see the guys in the back of the bus run like cowards leaving 2 woman to deal with this lunatic. While the guy found it easy to attack an 80 year old woman and an older bus driver if I had been there he would have ended differently.
This!

If I was sitting behind them and saw that, you damn well better believe I would have knocked that SOB out. I wouldn't have had to even think about it, it would have been instinct. I can't believe the men that actually ran off the bus and allowed this attack to continue. Shameful

Old 06-08-2016, 10:06 AM

4,481 posts, read 3,636,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
It may sound abrasive but I think if they did a poster of the elder woman being attacked & added, this could be your grandmother. Please STOP the abuse! It may help. Graphic, but I hope grandchildren would become viligant & watch for episodes like this.
I thought about something similar - I thought if that had been one of the passenger's grandmother, he/she would have broken their neck to get up and defend the woman. I'd like to think that someone would come to the aid of of my elderly relatives if someone attacked them, but perhaps not.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:08 AM

4,481 posts, read 3,636,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
This happened in Port Angeles, Washington last Saturday, June 4.

I would not categorize Washington residents as "laid back".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
Like many of you, I was wondering why one or two of the other passengers didn't help but some people here in Washington seem to act so laid back, I'm not all that surprised. If I had been on that bus, I'd like to think that I would have tried to do something (I weigh 126 pounds but I do know self defense). While his back was to me, I would have tried to do anything to get him off the woman. I think a lot of people would and the behavior of some of the people on that particular bus doesn't reflect poorly on anyone other than themselves.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. That is why I always say "some."

Old 06-08-2016, 11:41 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,829,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Part of me says yes they are cowards. But part of me also says that A, they might be running for help & B, they might know that if they get involved & beat the hell out of the man they might get sued. I know that sounds crazy but it happens.
This is an urban myth that needs to die. If the other people on the bus took action most likely it would fall under the "good Samaritan law." Plus if anyone who tried to help the woman being attacked was charged with a crime and/or sued in court no jury would convict them. People who attack senior citizens do not get any sympathy.

If anything the bus driver and the bus company are far more likely to be sued and held liable. Although I think the chances of that happening are extremely slim.

I watched the video only once and it looked like the attacker was the biggest person on the bus. That doesn't excuse the people who ran off the bus, but size can be intimating.

Old 06-08-2016, 12:08 PM

24,456 posts, read 17,203,514 times
What a loser. The guy was probably off his meds. All on that bus are fortunate that he did not have a gun, knife or something other.

It is so difficult to say how any of us would react in a situation like this. We all like to think we would be the hero and beat the guy up or pull a gun and hold him for the Police but as we saw it is far easier for people to just get out of the way.

I recently saw a video where a guy was waiting in line to get tickets and a guy with a weapon came up to him stuck it in his back and ordered his wallet. The guy emptied his pockets dropping the contents on the ground, the robber went for the goods, the man circled around a woman that was right behind him and came back with his guy out. When the robber realized what was happening he lifted his weapon and was shot twice.
This was a crowded area and even after the gun shots people still stood around talking, playing on their cell phones or otherwise completely oblivious to what just happened mere feet from them.

It is hard to say how any of us would react in a situation like what happened on that bus unless you were trained to respond to such violence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events