U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 05:20 PM

15,619 posts, read 9,174,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Are you sure about that?

I thought that swimming and recreational use of the beach at the invasion site was still not allowed.
The landing beaches and coastline have both memorials and recreational services. We visited last September on a damp windy day so they were quiet then. To me it's fitting and wonderful that families can frolic in those waves again - it's what those men were fighting for. I do have some distant pics of a surrey trotting along the waters edge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoasters View Post
For those who have visited the landing beaches in Normandy, how was it? Were there any particular sites that you would recommend, perhaps ones that really impacted you? I imagine it to be a very hallowed place. Thanks to all veterans for their service.
Oops dinner time but I'll be back. Might post a few pics too. It is atmospheric and moving - lots of memorials dotting the coastline. Also little museums and restaurants.

More later
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 06:19 PM

19,290 posts, read 20,184,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Since everyone seems to have forgotten, Monday, June 6th was D Day.

Just thought it was worth mentioning, since so many died.
We didn't forget.

D-Day Remembrance

Old 06-07-2016, 09:02 PM

23,966 posts, read 31,191,719 times
Quote:

I didn't forget at all. In fact I mentioned it at work.

Old 06-07-2016, 11:13 PM

2,809 posts, read 2,523,995 times
Peyton Manning would make a good president he remembers D Day!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1IZdqPYuts

Seriously, one thing I always recall my Dad (WW2 vet) relating, was the last minute switch announcement before he was deployed (to Pacific Theater). They had initially provided them different climactic weather gear and then switched his AAF Signal Corp unit destination and were given tropical oriented gear.

He never spoke much about the landing his unit had at Leyte Gulf beach Oct 1944, but mentioned botched LST landings as being horrific. So, when I saw Private Ryan the first time, it gave me a chill with an excellent portrayal - besides the static WW2 film shots (post landing) we discovered after a basement flood years ago.

Funny thing is how well Hollywood emblazons imagery.... eddie albert swinging in bell tower by botched air drop, boots on wrong feet, and a great tune to an excellent movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g43Q0KuLAm0

When I watch the movie now I'm reminded of my Dad cause he looked much like Robert Mitchum. Thanks Pops! From another topic...
Reminiscing on the Second World War

Old 06-08-2016, 12:51 AM

21,564 posts, read 26,190,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nice2bfree View Post
How thankful I am for Canadian and American service men and women who fought the enemy together on different fronts. Our forebears took seriously the freedoms worthy of sacrifice, which the President of the United States seems not to see as important today. I salute these fine men and women who gave their all!
Daddy was US Navy. The tanks and crews his LST carried were Canadian.

He never talked much about the war until he discovered there was a sort of alumni association for old LST sailors and went to a few conventions they had. I went with him and my mother to one of them in Biloxi and we were fortunate to be able to tour a restored LST that was being prepared as a memorial. Daddy was a Storekeeper second Class, and his main job was keeping the ship provisioned. A perk was being one of the first off the ship when it made port. His "office" was a stand-up desk in about six square feet of space.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:28 AM

23,624 posts, read 31,218,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApePeeD View Post

I visited Normandy back in '90. What sometimes gets left out of the history books are the CLIFFS that are at the edge of the beaches. Getting up the beach is one thing, but I don't know how the heck those servicemen made it up those cliffs under fire.
Which beach was that? I went to several, though I don't recall going to all five. I don't remember one looking like that.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:48 AM

13,470 posts, read 7,181,256 times
This is the first year I've noticed that it hasn't been in the headlines - very sad.

Old 06-08-2016, 12:12 PM

5,714 posts, read 12,840,961 times
We are a military family and didn't forget. Sadly the news media chose to cover Ali on every station for hours, and only a "by the way" mentioned D-day or the soldiers that drowned in Texas, or the Blue Angel pilot that was killed. What happened to America? Apparently the media decides.

Old 06-08-2016, 12:14 PM

51 posts, read 24,000 times
Quote:

I didn't forget my dad was in the 2nd ww and he was a paratrooper who jumped behind enemy lines. He would tell us about that day and what it was like;

Old 06-08-2016, 03:14 PM

15,619 posts, read 9,174,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Which beach was that? I went to several, though I don't recall going to all five. I don't remember one looking like that.
I didn't recognize that shot either. Pointe du hoc is one if the most famous cliff sites from d-day. Rangers scaled 100 foot high cliffs to take out the German position there. Memorialized in several movies - including the longest day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events