U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 08:45 AM

4,829 posts, read 4,805,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Always has to be one I guess... Obviously you've got no clue about the dogs actual condition unless you were her vet or owner.

Have you ever heard of compassion? It's NOT that a dog is "not frisky enough", it IS about pain,suffering and quality of life AND about being compassionate enough not to force an animal to linger on when it's suffering no matter how hard it is emotionally.
They walked the dog to get killed, and "frisky" is just a paraphrase of owner's words, he said nothing about "pain and suffering", the old dog was no longer younger self, that's all it says. Did you read that stupid article at all? And what about you? Do you want to be taken to a pound for a shot in the name of "compassion" as soon as somebody else will decide that your "quality of life" is not acceptable (to them), without being asked whether or not you want that shot?

Last edited by RememberMee; 06-08-2016 at 09:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 09:56 AM

4,429 posts, read 3,103,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
They walked the dog to get killed, and "frisky" is just a paraphrase of owner's words, he said nothing about "pain and suffering", the old dog was no longer younger self, that's all it says. Did you read that stupid article at all? And what about you? Do you want to be taken to a pound for a shot in the name of "compassion" as soon as somebody else will decide that your "quality of life" is not acceptable (to them), without being asked whether or not you want that shot?
Don't be that "guy" or "gal"

Old 06-08-2016, 10:59 AM

377 posts, read 574,295 times
Quote:
In the comments section on the video on Facebook the owner said she was going through kidney failure and in pain since some commented wanted to know why she was being put down. I would not want to put my dog through that painful quality of life.

Edit to agree with CatTX... Renal failure, not kidney failure.

Last edited by Jeepchic; 06-08-2016 at 11:15 AM..

Old 06-08-2016, 11:08 AM

1,333 posts, read 635,092 times
Quote:
According to another article, the poor dog had chronic renal failure for almost 2 years. In pics in both of the articles I've read, she looked ill and tired. Having had several with renal failure, they get to the point where the nausea is so bad that meds don't help much. They refuse to eat and need to be given fluids several times a day. Eventually, that does not help either. You can tell by her coat condition and posture that she was not doing well.

When they are ill and suffering, helping them with a gentle death is the kindest thing you can do. We recently had to make that decision for our beloved old dog and though he was able to limp into the vet office that last day, he had bone cancer, was refusing most food and had pain that meds wouldn't touch. It would have been even more devastating if people had accused us of euthanizing him for our convenience or because he was old and no longer frisky. It was incredibly painful to let him go, and it will hurt for a long time. We did it for him, not for us. He was suffering and there was no other choice. And I believe Bretagne's people were in the same situation. Don't judge unless you know exactly what is going on.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:11 AM

5,605 posts, read 4,158,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
According to another article, the poor dog had chronic renal failure for almost 2 years. In pics in both of the articles I've read, she looked ill and tired. Having had several with renal failure, they get to the point where the nausea is so bad that meds don't help much. They refuse to eat and need to be given fluids several times a day. Eventually, that does not help either. You can tell by her coat condition and posture that she was not doing well.

When they are ill and suffering, helping them with a gentle death is the kindest thing you can do. We recently had to make that decision for our beloved old dog and though he was able to limp into the vet office that last day, he had bone cancer, was refusing most food and had pain that meds wouldn't touch. It would have been even more devastating if people had accused us of euthanizing him for our convenience or because he was old and no longer frisky. It was incredibly painful to let him go, and it will hurt for a long time. We did it for him, not for us. He was suffering and there was no other choice. And I believe Bretagne's people were in the same situation. Don't judge unless you know exactly what is going on.

So sorry for your loss. I know from experience how hard it is to make that choice. Anyone who would say the underlined above is not someone who understands.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:22 AM

22,947 posts, read 21,467,425 times
Quote:
If I was as bad off as this old girl reportedly was then YES, give me a needle full of whatever and allow me to peacefully drift off to my reward, whatever it may be.

Old 06-08-2016, 02:32 PM

7,690 posts, read 10,062,057 times
Just had a dog we had to put down after about a year and a half of kidney/renal failure. For the longest time, when his values were not that bad, he was mostly OK.

We had the occasional times when he would gladly eat for weeks, then suddenly the next day, turn his nose up. We rotated among several different kinds of food, including home made meatloaf with peas carrots and potatoes, scrambled eggs and cheese, adding pieces of steak to his food, gave him anti nausea meds, subcutaneous fluids and he was fine after a rough week or two only to then have another episode a couple months later.

Then as his levels started getting a little worse, he started seeming out of it, but once he got going, he seemed fine. Then he started banging into things when he would first get up and was unsteady, but seemed fine after that. Then one day he fell into his water bowl while drinking. Figured it was a one time deal, or at least we told ourselves that, because 90% of the time, he just seemed like an old dog. Then by a couple weeks later, he started not being able to drink without falling in, was banging around things a lot more and we knew we had done all we could do.

But he still walked from the car to the vets office with me and my wife for his last appointment.

Old 06-08-2016, 02:45 PM

4,429 posts, read 3,103,104 times
Our dog is 13 but isn't showing much signs of slowing down but I know when it comes it comes quick. I'm just enjoying our time with him now and not thinking about the inevitable

Old 06-08-2016, 07:32 PM

1,805 posts, read 1,242,662 times
Quote:
Amazing, they kill the dog that was not frisky enough and then all that funeral circuis with cops etc.. That's human "thank you" indeed.
She had finally become uninterested in eating and suddenly become anxious and restless... she knew it was her time .

Old 06-08-2016, 09:54 PM

2,971 posts, read 1,534,224 times
https://youtu.be/ezcHy8DkrmE She was loved. They did what they thought was best. She was almost 17. She lived a full life and was a hero!!!! Watch the video of her in the past year, She meant so much to so many. RIP beautiful girl!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or