U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2016, 05:29 PM

7,692 posts, read 5,162,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
I appreciate the answers, and it does help understand it a little better, but I still have a hard time thinking of pigeons as "courageous." Their brains don't work that way. They're just doing what they're trained to do, or what is instinctive to them.

Horses and dogs are somewhat different, of course. And dolphins. Animals with their level of intelligence know that they are placing themselves in danger for the benefit of another creature. But pigeons? All they know is that they're flying from one place to another.

Suzy_q's link is really interesting, though. Apparently the RAF routinely carried pigeons on some of their planes during WWII to carry emergency messages for the crew if the plane went down. I can't believe I never knew that before. You learn something every day, but that one was unusually interesting!
I sort of agree with you on that. Perhaps it's more of a display of our appreciation for them, than it is their actual 'bravery'. The Dicken Award, and other 'hero' citations are a way for us to send a message that we no longer take service animals for granted, to be discarded when no longer useful.
That's my take on it anyway.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2016, 07:49 PM

51,600 posts, read 50,842,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Pigeons delivered messages during WW2, they often had to endure hostile enemy fire as the enemy would often try and kill pigeons they thought were delivering messages. A lot of pigeons were killed making such perilous and hazardous journeys and that should not be forgotten.

Thankfully today we no longer use pigeons, however horses are still used to control crowds and in riot situations, whilst dogs are also used by the military and police services. The US Navy also uses Dolphins in a number of roles.

The US Navy's combat dolphins are serious military assets - Business Insider

In terms of the two guide dogs Salty and Roselle they were awarded the Dickin Medal -

“For remaining loyally at the side of their blind owners, courageously leading them down more than 70 floors of the World Trade Center and to a place of safety following the terrorist attack on New York on 11 September 2001.”

Animals can be very brave under exceptional circumstances and even pigeons should be recognised for their bravery.

The Animal War Memorial - London

Animals In War Memorial - The Animals In War Memorial - Park Lane, London
I was in London in November. I wish I'd known about the memorial.

Old 06-11-2016, 08:07 PM

10,577 posts, read 6,869,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
They walked the dog to get killed, and "frisky" is just a paraphrase of owner's words, he said nothing about "pain and suffering", the old dog was no longer younger self, that's all it says. Did you read that stupid article at all? And what about you? Do you want to be taken to a pound for a shot in the name of "compassion" as soon as somebody else will decide that your "quality of life" is not acceptable (to them), without being asked whether or not you want that shot?
I don't want to be taken against my will to a doctor (vet).

I don't want to have my balls lopped off without my consent.

I don't want to be confined to a yard without my consent, to be owned, to be put on a leash, to be fed only someone else decides I'll eat.

Now, do you really want to continue with this inane "We must treat dogs exactly how all of us want to be treated?" nonsense? Or are you really telling us that you think neutering and leashes and whatnot are all wrong for dogs? Because that's exactly where your line of (il)logic leads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or