U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2016, 10:19 AM

19,237 posts, read 11,238,439 times

Advertisements

One area not talked about is PCOS--other health factors and obesity. Remember when they said the cows had too much hormones and were making young girls accelerate puberty- - well I am sure that our injected- rewired food sources have also caused our own bodies to mutate our normal functions within cells etc. Thyroid conditions is an inherited condition that affects approximately 14 million Americans and is about 7 times more common in women than in men. Hypo-thyroism causes weight gain.
I see teens in total depression because of weight and as soon as they turned teens- they blew up-- hormones out of control and on the same token we had to create size "2" because of the skinny gals just so skinny- also unnatural.
I agree too much TV- gaming and lack of outside has not helped-- fructose and other injected sugars- has not helped - fat in fast foods has not helped! Most are little girls who grew up in this environment that we created and are now fighting for their health as they mature--- and get blamed! The blame is greed and manipulation of our food sources- which comes back to greed.. FIX THAT

Old 06-09-2016, 10:47 AM

5,091 posts, read 6,267,067 times
I think economics have something to do with it as well. More women live in poverty than men. It's been proven time and time again that poverty is a contributing factor to obesity.

There is also some genetic component to this. Women, even women of a healthy weight, have a naturally higher body fat percentage. Men naturally have a higher muscle mass.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:08 AM

7,861 posts, read 5,425,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I blame the high cost of healthy food and the low cost of unhealthy food.
Not really true though...
I can buy hormone-free free-range chicken quarters for ~ $0.75/lb... That yields a good 20 or so pieces of chicken for around $5 (legs and thighs.) How much is a bucket of KFC FRAAAAAAAAAAHD chicken? $8 for 8 pieces I believe? A McD's meal is averaging at over $6 now (same with Wendy's, BK, etc.) Frozen "dinners" are about $4 per serving. A bag of chips is over $3. You can buy a bag of apples for that price. Bananas are about $0.59/lb... Catch my drift? About the only thing that really IS that much cheaper is cheap ramen noodles (maruchan et all), and that hardly consists of food.

Aside from laziness (don't want to cook) and sheer ignorance, there is absolutely no reason to live on garbage food. A once-in-a-while treat is fine, but too many people eat such trash daily, and feed it to their children as well.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:13 AM

302 posts, read 195,343 times
Anytime I leave the country for more than six months at a time, I come back and am like "whoa bro". America definitely has an issue with weight.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:44 AM

508 posts, read 307,836 times
A few things which cause this.

1. Our car culture obsession. Whole towns and neighborhoods exist where you cannot safely walk to the post office or grocery store or even to the playground. Many neighborhoods literally vote to prevent any alternative transportation (public transportation) to be developed or extended, thus preventing any alternative from using a car to get to work. Our commercial spaces are also horribly built too (off a highway with no means of walking between businesses). It literally forces people to drive everywhere, even short distances.

2. Added sugar. This appears in EVERYTHING. If you every eat a bite of artisan break vs mass produced bread you will probably notice how one tastes "sweet". This spikes insulin and makes us more tolerant to added sugar (and increases our waist size)

3. Poor nutrition education in general. Pop Quiz. Do you make your kids "children's meals" at dinner time or do they eat what the adults eat? You might be surprised how many parents feed their kids chicken nuggets instead of real chicken and veggies. What happens? Children raised on processed foods eat the same thing as an adult (hip tip: your flavor profile develops during childhood). If you know a pick eater adult, you can literally blame their parents for being a pushover.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:59 AM

1,359 posts, read 974,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
There are now so many overweight, fat, obese women that on single dating sites, size 12/14/16 women pick 'average' as body type.
I am 5'9" and I weighed 155lbs (well within the "normal" weight for my height) and I still wore a size 12. Not everyone who wears a 'plus' size is overweight. Gotta love ignorance.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:16 PM

19,237 posts, read 11,238,439 times
I am bit over--always have been plump or well rounded now in my 60's and don't care- but my sister is the same height hardly makes 100 lbs. and she is sicker than I am-- high cholesterol etc. So think common sens - be as healthy as you can- and stay off too many meds if at all possible

Last edited by tinytrump; 06-09-2016 at 12:31 PM..

Old 06-09-2016, 12:19 PM

7,861 posts, read 5,425,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taluffen View Post
A few things which cause this.

3. Poor nutrition education in general. Pop Quiz. Do you make your kids "children's meals" at dinner time or do they eat what the adults eat? You might be surprised how many parents feed their kids chicken nuggets instead of real chicken and veggies. What happens? Children raised on processed foods eat the same thing as an adult (hip tip: your flavor profile develops during childhood). If you know a pick eater adult, you can literally blame their parents for being a pushover.

True story: A few nights ago, I had my niece over. She and my sons sat at the table and I served them plates of the dinner I had just prepared; something simple: Rice, steamed broccoli, baked chicken, red beans from the pressure cooker.

My sons ate most of their food before they got full. She ate a piece of chicken and then proceeded to triwl around with her food, as if full. Her mother (my VERY LARGE SIL) came over with a freakin lunchable, at which her daughter's eyes shot wide open, and she proceeded to devour the stuff while leaving the real food behind. I can already foresee a future where my sons will have decent eating habits and be healthy, while she is going to follow in her mother's footsteps.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:37 PM

8,600 posts, read 6,715,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taluffen View Post

Yes, and on nights they're feeling industrious, they make their kids orange mac and cheese from a box with sliced hot dogs and feel very virtuous. It is shocking how many parents don't know what good nutritious food is.

I'm also shocked at the number of parents who honestly don't know how to get their kids to eat vegetables. Some things are an acquired taste. It takes sampling those foodstuffs about 10 times within a 6 week period to acclimate your taste buds. So choose a vegetable they don't like, put some on their plate once or twice a week starting when they first eat solid foods, and give them a bite. After they spit it out or whatever, let them eat the other food on their plate. Don't scold them, don't get impatient, don't make a big deal out of it. Then in a few days or a week, do it again. When they've learned to like that vegetable, continue to serve it occasionally and move on to acclimating them to a new healthy food. By the time they start school, they will be eating nutritious stuff without complaint.

I've even used this method as an adult to be able to eat cilantro, mushrooms, and a few other things. The only thing I can not get a taste for are caraway seeds. Ugh!

Old 06-09-2016, 12:41 PM

17,243 posts, read 22,300,096 times
sedentary lifestyles, our bodies are made to be used and exercised - whats the daily leisure time activity ?? sitting in front of a computer?

and the junk food is good, I love ice cream!!! I love sweets, but ive learn to resist

food is the focal point of family gatherings not activities

food is the focal point of holidays

food is used as a reward as kids so we also use it as adults

I always seem to think things are getting better....very few smoke compared to years ago, water is the number one beverage not soda

one thing I don't get... where is the self respect?? where is the common sense?
no one feels good about themselves being obese..... I don't get it..

we are a pc and feel good society want to be very non judgemental....and here is the issue.. no one is advising these obese folks hey- how about a jog after work and not a few hot dogs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events