Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2016, 11:46 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,421,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Not really true though...
I can buy hormone-free free-range chicken quarters for ~ $0.75/lb... That yields a good 20 or so pieces of chicken for around $5 (legs and thighs.) How much is a bucket of KFC FRAAAAAAAAAAHD chicken? $8 for 8 pieces I believe? A McD's meal is averaging at over $6 now (same with Wendy's, BK, etc.) Frozen "dinners" are about $4 per serving. A bag of chips is over $3. You can buy a bag of apples for that price. Bananas are about $0.59/lb... Catch my drift? About the only thing that really IS that much cheaper is cheap ramen noodles (maruchan et all), and that hardly consists of food.

Aside from laziness (don't want to cook) and sheer ignorance, there is absolutely no reason to live on garbage food. A once-in-a-while treat is fine, but too many people eat such trash daily, and feed it to their children as well.
But you have access to those things. Often the poorest parts of a city are town are the farthest from even a regular grocery store, let alone one that offers hormone-free, free-range chicken and such. Many times the only stores nearby are convenience stores, which offer little healthy food. The other close options are fast food (which is also usually cheaper than convenience stores). It's easy to say, "Just go to the further grocery store," from your comfortable house, but for someone who has no reliable transportation, it's not that simple.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:55 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,228,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taluffen View Post
3. Poor nutrition education in general. Pop Quiz. Do you make your kids "children's meals" at dinner time or do they eat what the adults eat? You might be surprised how many parents feed their kids chicken nuggets instead of real chicken and veggies. What happens? Children raised on processed foods eat the same thing as an adult (hip tip: your flavor profile develops during childhood). If you know a pick eater adult, you can literally blame their parents for being a pushover.
I used to get so much grief from others about my "no junk food" policy when my kids were tiny, but those first few years are crucial, especially when you are able to give them most of their meals at home and train their palates to appreciate the taste and experience of good, wholesome food. Yes, at some point they will have access to a dizzying array of chips, cakes, and sugary drinks, but they'll be able to recognize how different they feel after eating a handful of cookies instead of a bowl of fruit. My brother and I had very little access to junk food or typical "kid foods", and even today neither one of us can stomach it.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:06 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
I used to get so much grief from others about my "no junk food" policy when my kids were tiny, but those first few years are crucial, especially when you are able to give them most of their meals at home and train their palates to appreciate the taste and experience of good, wholesome food. Yes, at some point they will have access to a dizzying array of chips, cakes, and sugary drinks, but they'll be able to recognize how different they feel after eating a handful of cookies instead of a bowl of fruit. My brother and I had very little access to junk food or typical "kid foods", and even today neither one of us can stomach it.
I believe not learning healthy eating habits early contributes to the problem. Like others, I have seen so many parents, many in my own family, start their kids out with separate menus of not so healthy food, hot dogs, mac and cheese, nuggets, frozen pizza, lunchables, chips, etc. instead of eating the regular adult meal. Not to mention sodas and candy. And these are educated people that should know better. I have seen my niece, a nurse, feed her kid M & M's instead of making her eat real food. Neither are overweight though.

Our initial eating habits are carried throughout our lives and this is why it is difficult for some adults to break bad eating habits.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:07 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,917,085 times
Someone get these hambeasts in the gym.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:21 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,688,561 times
Lots of women believe being overweight is a necessity to staying attractive.

Must be lucky to be females today by getting fat storage in the areas that are attractive to males.

There is no equivalent for a male, you must work hard to look attractive to females.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:32 PM

17,148 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

Must be lucky to be females today by getting fat storage in the areas that are attractive to males.

There is no equivalent for a male, you must work hard to look attractive to females.
Looks attractive with clothes on, as lots of women's clothing pushes fat into desirable areas. Once the clothes come off and everything drops, there's a different story. I blame the media for spewing out women with huge, fake boobs and asses left and right, making it seem as though that's supposed to be natural. Real women don't look like that.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:41 PM

510 posts, read 499,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I believe not learning healthy eating habits early contributes to the problem. Like others, I have seen so many parents, many in my own family, start their kids out with separate menus of not so healthy food, hot dogs, mac and cheese, nuggets, frozen pizza, lunchables, chips, etc. instead of eating the regular adult meal. Not to mention sodas and candy. And these are educated people that should know better. I have seen my niece, a nurse, feed her kid M & M's instead of making her eat real food. Neither are overweight though.

Our initial eating habits are carried throughout our lives and this is why it is difficult for some adults to break bad eating habits.
My parents never allowed us to order of the kids menu either. Always adult food. When I was a hostess for a restaurant it would astound me how many parents of kids who were over the age of 12 asked for the children's menu. I mean the real menu (Bennigan's) was pretty much a minor step up from Chicken Fingers and Mac and Cheese, but seriously...

Another think I noticed is the neverending snacks. Some parents have snacks for their kids readily available before dinner and after dinner. And I don't mean two or three hours in between, I mean like 15 minutes before or after. No wonder they don't eat what you make them. They know they're going to get what they really want 10 minutes later.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:54 PM

865 posts, read 1,488,326 times
I just think modern day society is OBSESSED with food. Obsessed with all things recipes, the different things you can do with food (what ever happened to just eating a plain apple), must not have "boring" food, etc. Everything is food, food, food! When are we going for lunch (at 9am)? Must have food, it is exactly noon! Must go out to lunch for an experience. Why are you only eating a "salad", get real food (yes this has been said to me). All social gatherings focus around food! You try to eat healthy and say no thank you people get insulted.

Then again, I lost 35 lbs in the last year, I didn't realize how bad people were till I tried to actually consistently eat healthy in today's world. People keep asking me if I have a secret from going from a BMI over 30 which is considered obese to one that is 25. It really is eating less, eating healthier, and exercising, and consistently doing it. Too many people cheat! They let their food control them - they need to take control back and refuse crappy food!

Old 06-09-2016, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taluffen View Post
My parents never allowed us to order of the kids menu either. Always adult food. When I was a hostess for a restaurant it would astound me how many parents of kids who were over the age of 12 asked for the children's menu. I mean the real menu (Bennigan's) was pretty much a minor step up from Chicken Fingers and Mac and Cheese, but seriously...

Another think I noticed is the neverending snacks. Some parents have snacks for their kids readily available before dinner and after dinner. And I don't mean two or three hours in between, I mean like 15 minutes before or after. No wonder they don't eat what you make them. They know they're going to get what they really want 10 minutes later.
We never even ate out. Or ordered take-out. I felt deprived as a child because we never got delivery pizza. I didn't even know it was possible until I saw it with my own eyes at a friends house. Mom did make homemade pizza occasionally.
Even at home I see parents let kids eat something different than what was prepared. One of my great nieces ate nothing but cheese, hotdogs and pizza until she was a.....IDK that might be all she eats now. But she is skinny. Go figure. Her mom would say she wouldn't eat anything else.

Old 06-09-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Looks attractive with clothes on, as lots of women's clothing pushes fat into desirable areas. Once the clothes come off and everything drops, there's a different story. I blame the media for spewing out women with huge, fake boobs and asses left and right, making it seem as though that's supposed to be natural. Real women don't look like that.
Sorry guys, it not about how women look in the eyes of men. Its about peoples overall health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events