U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 04:41 PM

3,510 posts, read 2,795,011 times

Advertisements

Probably even more newsworthy.
Quote:

By doing so, eventually the cycle should be broken. Children and teens are also fighting obesity and researchers also found that obesity in teenagers doubled from 10.5% to 20.6% from a 1988-1994 survey to the current one of 2013-2014. And extreme obesity among teens tripled from 2.6% to 9.1% though these stats were not broken down by gender.

Not only are the adults getting bigger, the kids are getting huge at a pretty scary rate too.

Old 06-07-2016, 05:36 PM

1,278 posts, read 831,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoot n annie View Post
man boobs. Watching a senior pga event a few days ago and our favorite brit, colin montgomerie has a serious set of man boobs. You try not to look but you can't unlook.
lol.

Old 06-07-2016, 05:54 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,613,304 times

Old 06-07-2016, 06:12 PM

19,273 posts, read 20,155,339 times
I don't think this is a gender issue. It is, however, a health crisis which has the potential to destroy our country's healthcare system. I have many friends who are health professionals, and to a person they believe that the sheer number of diabetes- and other obesity-related patients threatens to grow to an unsustainable level, if steps are not taken to deal with the poor diet and shocking ignorance of so many Americans regarding nutrition and exercise.

People are living longer than ever. But the future quality of life for many is dismal, owing to their poor physical condition and lack of mobility. It is time for public health officials - starting with the Surgeon General - to address this issue in a meaningful way.

Old 06-07-2016, 06:21 PM

2,973 posts, read 1,534,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I don't think this is a gender issue. It is, however, a health crisis which has the potential to destroy our country's healthcare system. I have many friends who are health professionals, and to a person they believe that the sheer number of diabetes- and other obesity-related patients threatens to grow to an unsustainable level, if steps are not taken to deal with the poor diet and shocking ignorance of so many Americans regarding nutrition and exercise.

People are living longer than ever. But the future quality of life for many is dismal, owing to their poor physical condition and lack of mobility. It is time for public health officials - starting with the Surgeon General - to address this issue in a meaningful way.
100% correct. I know I posted this as a gender issue. I posted it that way because of the way the article was written. This is a public health crisis not withstanding gender. People need to wake up!!!

Old 06-07-2016, 06:32 PM

10,396 posts, read 7,472,821 times
I can't stand that people don't take good care of the bodies they've been given. Very disrespectful to yourself and your creator. And it kinda shows a certain amount of stupidity that you can't control what you eat and you don't care enough about yourself to try hard enough to be healthy. Then complain because your knees hurt, etc.

I do believe there are lots of illnesses that would go extinct if everyone ate the way their bodies required.

Of course this is my opinion. Sorry to be tough but once upon a time you'd go to the circus to see the fat man/woman. Now you go to Walmart.

Old 06-07-2016, 06:38 PM

19,273 posts, read 20,155,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
100% correct. I know I posted this as a gender issue. I posted it that way because of the way the article was written. This is a public health crisis not withstanding gender. People need to wake up!!!
It makes me sad to see so many folks -- many in their thirties and forties -- who can barely get around. Case in point: my wife and I attended an air show at a local airport this past weekend. The tarmac and runways were, of course, quite long, and it required quite a bit of walking to enjoy the exhibits and old planes ( they had a B-25 and a P-51 Mustang, among other WWII vintage aircraft). We were shocked to see how many people needed motorized scooters and other aids, simply to get around. In addition, the event organizers supplied golf carts for the more obese spectators. But the really depressing thing, to me, was the number of young parents who pushed their kids around in strollers, stuffed with sugary snacks, chips, and sodas. And I'm talking about five-, six-, seven-year-olds! A whole future generation of people with limited mobility and poor physical fitness was being trained right before our eyes...

This is not good, people. We may not be able to agree on politics or religion, but we damn sure can agree that America Needs to Get Up Off Its Fat Ass.

Old 06-07-2016, 06:58 PM

10,012 posts, read 4,144,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
This is not good, people. We may not be able to agree on politics or religion, but we damn sure can agree that America Needs to Get Up Off Its Fat Ass.

I posted in the food section last week a photo of what I was having for dinner.

What's for Dinner Tonight? ~ 2016

Someone repped me saying this
Quote:
If that's for you, you eat like a bird. Wow.
I had to wonder if this was an overweight or obese person leaving me this comment. That is plenty of food for a woman who is 5'3 and who saved room for desert!

Old 06-07-2016, 07:20 PM

5,248 posts, read 4,047,400 times
All those people at baseball games do nothing but eat. They miss all the exciting plays on the field because they're too busy eyeballing the hot dog vendor. I saw a game on tv last Saturday where you could see this fat lady sitting in the front row with a cell phone in her right hand and a hot dog in her left hand. Her husband was saying something to her and fans were screaming because of a play at 3rd base so she was whipping her head back and forth trying to pay attention to two things at once. I was waiting for her to take a bite out of her cell phone. I don't know what the hell her husband was shoving in his pie hole, looked like a loaf of bread.

Old 06-07-2016, 07:24 PM

11,896 posts, read 14,364,183 times
Great news for guys who love large women!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events