Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 07:58 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,072,821 times

Advertisements

Calories in, calories burned. People are spending billions of dollars a year on 'diet' programs and food.
3500 calories are one pound. When you consume 2000 calories a day and burn only 1900, you will gain weight.

Old 06-07-2016, 08:40 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,630,868 times
Isn't it ironic.

Our nation has never seen more readily available information on how to properly eat, how to properly exercise, etc. etc.

We have the most cutting edge technology and know how in exercise science, to the point we know exactly which forms of exercise and how long to do them, and at what intensity, in order to maximize fat loss.

Hell, in a matter of seconds we can look at a few youtube videos and start doing some basic but intense bodyweight exercises that will start burning the fat.

We have the most cutting edge knowledge in nutrition, on what and how many calories to eat in order to lose weight and become ripped.

All of this, and yet Americans have seemingly gotten fatter and fatter.

People in this country and around the world will continue to get fatter until they learn to drastically change their eating patterns and habits. Portion control, basically.

Old 06-07-2016, 08:54 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,573,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
The second study, published in Tuesday’s “The Journal of the American Medical Association” and based on data from 2013 and 2014, found that almost twice as many women as men are extremely obese; 9.9% of women and 5.2% of men.
If you ever look at the BMI chart Drs use, "obese" and "extremely obese" are different categories. That may account for the difference in the %s they use. (not that either category is desirable)

Old 06-07-2016, 09:45 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,174,607 times
I love obese women

Old 06-07-2016, 10:02 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,247,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
I love obese women
you like big butts and you cannot lie.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:16 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,540,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Isn't it ironic.

Our nation has never seen more readily available information on how to properly eat, how to properly exercise, etc. etc.

We have the most cutting edge technology and know how in exercise science, to the point we know exactly which forms of exercise and how long to do them, and at what intensity, in order to maximize fat loss.

Hell, in a matter of seconds we can look at a few youtube videos and start doing some basic but intense bodyweight exercises that will start burning the fat.

We have the most cutting edge knowledge in nutrition, on what and how many calories to eat in order to lose weight and become ripped.

All of this, and yet Americans have seemingly gotten fatter and fatter.

People in this country and around the world will continue to get fatter until they learn to drastically change their eating patterns and habits. Portion control, basically.
Date: May 22, 2014
Source: American Cancer Society

Summary:
An important factor fueling the obesity epidemic has been identified by a new review: Americans now have the cheapest food available in history. Today, two in three Americans are overweight or obese, with rates climbing steadily over the past several decades. Many factors have been suggested as causes: snack food, automobiles, television, fast food, computer use, vending machines, suburban housing developments, and portion size. But after examining available evidence, the authors say widespread availability of inexpensive food appears to have the strongest link to obesity.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0522074749.htm

That is the abstract- for any true geeks here, you can read the full article here: Obesity and economic environments - Sturm - 2014 - CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians - Wiley Online Library (its actually very interesting)

There is other research on this topic, but the media never covers it and internet forums never discuss it. I can't figure out why. I think its extremely interesting.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:53 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,960,654 times
It's all about fast and ready made food. Food is just too easy to get. At least in the U.S.. Vegas is buffet heaven. Then there's Waffle House in other parts of the country. In-N-Out burger. Big burritos. Carnasada fries. Grinders. Wings, Beer... Too easy access to food. Used to be grow it, kill it and eat it. Now it's drive thru.

Old 06-07-2016, 11:23 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I think it's a mental disease plaguing this county. It's only getting worse.

I grew up taking gymnastics, jazz, ballet and just running around on my rollerskating or skateboarding. As an adult I workout at a gym 5 days a week...intense workouts. Or I ride my bike 20 miles at least 3-4 times a week. I crave being mentally and physically balanced. It's a lifestyle not a habit.

I can't fathom what it must feel like to be overweight or obese. It must feel awful both mentally and physically.
I grew up playing outside, riding my bike, going swimming in the summer, playing on the trampoline and playing badminton. I was an active but chubby kid.

In adulthood I stayed chubby, and later found out I have a bunch of hormonal and thyroid issues. These impact my weight and sometimes energy levels.

That being said, I eat my veggies, I limit added sugar. I don't eat a lot (I have weighed and measured). I ride my bike to most of my errands, I get 10k steps almost all the time. My record day was 38k steps while on vacation. I don't feel "awful" mentally and physically. But I am still overweight. Instead of trying focus on a number on the scale I focus on consistent good habits. An other than my thyroid issues I have no health problems.

Some overweight people eat too much and do no activity. But not all.

Old 06-08-2016, 12:01 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,056,481 times
Quote:
More American women are more obese than ever - NY Daily News I know that there are millions of Americans regardless of gender that are obese. Funny how the article tries to pin some of the blame on celebrities that endorse products that contribute to weight gain. How about this novel idea? No one to blame but yourself. Its your choice to have a poor diet. Its your choice not to do some physical activity. So convenient to blame others!
I blame women's lib, personally.

Old 06-08-2016, 12:11 AM

7,708 posts, read 5,449,758 times
Quote:
More American women are more obese than ever - NY Daily News I know that there are millions of Americans regardless of gender that are obese. Funny how the article tries to pin some of the blame on celebrities that endorse products that contribute to weight gain. How about this novel idea? No one to blame but yourself. Its your choice to have a poor diet. Its your choice not to do some physical activity. So convenient to blame others!
American men are obese, too. And it's not at all healthier or "cute" for men to be obese than it is for women. Actually, it's worse.

In Japan, "33.5 inches for men and 35.4 inches for women" is mandated as the maximum waistline in order to not be obese. Yes, that's right. Women can carry more belly weight than men and still be healthy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/13/world/asia/13fat.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events