U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 12:16 AM

10,012 posts, read 4,144,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I don't feel "awful" mentally and physically.
Do you think it might be because you have never been slender? Meaning you don't know what it feels like to be in good shape and slender vs. chubby? Please don't take that wrong...I have often wondered this. I think people who have never been in good physical shape or slender vs. chubby or overweight have no way to gauge what it feels like to be in good physical shape.
Quote:
But I am still overweight. Instead of trying focus on a number on the scale I focus on consistent good habits. An other than my thyroid issues I have no health problems.
I am sorry about your Thyroid issue. That's great that you focus on consistent good habits...that's really is what's most important.
Quote:
Some overweight people eat too much and do no activity. But not all.
I would rather slit my writs to be honest...I think I would feel so sluggish and miserable on top of not being able to do the things I do today.

I like to be in tip top shape. I sleep better, I have more energy, I have more mental clarity, it lowers my stress and I love seeing my lab results every year making both me and my doctor happy and surprised. I am on no medications, don't have high blood pressure, don't smoke or take recreational drugs...I do like my red wine though!

Keep up the consistent healthy habits!

Old 06-08-2016, 03:54 AM

10,396 posts, read 7,472,821 times
Jade, being overweight and morbidly obese are two different things.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:25 AM

4,829 posts, read 4,806,658 times
It is brutal if you are a man in some areas. Nature tuned men
to seek/enjoy looking at well proportioned woman' body and all we get these days - a herd of (super) fat cows. A natural pear shaped woman's body with reasonable amount of fat is so rare, it invites stares. American men are truly deprived breed (in more than one way). Girls, say NO to sugars and substitutes, have mercy.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:32 AM

6,171 posts, read 4,950,686 times
I think a lot of it has to do with how spread out places are in America. Unless you live right in the center of a city like NYC, you're going to spend a lot of time in the car driving places. For example you don't see as much obesity in places like Europe where most people live in dense, walk able areas. Even in the US you don't see as many obese people in major metros as you do in smaller towns or suburban areas. Jobs for the most part today are very sit-down based with little to no movement. You have to make up for the lack of exercise by working out but many people simply do not.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:44 AM

4,829 posts, read 4,806,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
I think a lot of it has to do with how spread out places are in America. Unless you live right in the center of a city like NYC, you're going to spend a lot of time in the car driving places. For example you don't see as much obesity in places like Europe where most people live in dense, walk able areas. Even in the US you don't see as many obese people in major metros as you do in smaller towns or suburban areas. Jobs for the most part today are very sit-down based with little to no movement. You have to make up for the lack of exercise by working out but many people simply do not.
Most of fat women deliberately eat themselves fat, it takes food to get fat, lots of low grade food. Sitting at work and doing nothing at home can't by itself make you fat. An underutilized human body (by 19th century standards) still consumes plenty of energy for somebody consuming 2,500-3,000 calories not to explode into a shapeless life form.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:02 AM

4,783 posts, read 4,665,088 times
When I am at work, we have so many people that come in that are obese and diabetic and their PMH is an endless list. It makes me very sad to see people in their fifties with a BMI > 35 and missing toes or having below the knee amputated already due their health.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post

I posted in the food section last week a photo of what I was having for dinner.

What's for Dinner Tonight? ~ 2016

Someone repped me saying this

I had to wonder if this was an overweight or obese person leaving me this comment. That is plenty of food for a woman who is 5'3 and who saved room for desert!

I am not overweight---I am thin---and I would have to eat at least double or triple that for a meal. I'm taller than you but I never really work out. However, I do walk a lot sometimes, since I live in a city. That is probably the only thing that keeps me from really putting on weight, TBH.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:30 AM

9,103 posts, read 3,923,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I think it's a mental disease plaguing this county. It's only getting worse.

I grew up taking gymnastics, jazz, ballet and just running around on my rollerskating or skateboarding. As an adult I workout at a gym 5 days a week...intense workouts. Or I ride my bike 20 miles at least 3-4 times a week. I crave being mentally and physically balanced. It's a lifestyle not a habit.

I can't fathom what it must feel like to be overweight or obese. It must feel awful both mentally and physically.

It is awful - I felt too ugly to leave the house unless I had to and that was at 173 lbs.! I can't imagine what people who are 300 lbs must go through. I realize 173 lbs doesn't sound terribly fat except that I am a petite 5'1" woman. I was always 108 lbs for years and years. Then I had my kids in my 30's, my husband got very sick and little by little the weight snuck on. One day at 46 years old I realized my next dress size was going to be in the Plus section I said enough is enough, joined a gym, cut out almost all sugar and carbs and lost 25 lbs. I was 128 which was higher than my 20 year old weight but I was firm and strong. Yes it takes commitment. I worked full time so I got up at 5 a.m., went to the gym 5-6 times a week for 90 minutes, then showered and went to work.

I am now 61, widowed, have had breast & thyroid cancer and been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. Once again I got up to 169. I was depressed and sick and just didn't care what happened to me anymore. I was pre diabetic so my doctor put me on metformin. I started to lose some weight without even trying and after I lost 15 lbs started back to the gym. It's only been 4 weeks so I'm not seeing obvious results yet but I feel better, less pain everywhere and the depression has finally lifted. It can be done people, you just have to commit to it and realize the body you have has to carry you through your lifetime. Would you buy a car and expect it to run without giving it the proper oil & gas?

Old 06-08-2016, 07:34 AM

41,854 posts, read 31,715,364 times
We wonder why the US spends more on healthcare than the rest of the world.

75% of US adults are overweight/ obese and substantially more vulnerable to Heart Disease, Diabetes, high BP, Stroke, some Cancers and joint deterioration.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:59 AM

8,533 posts, read 6,664,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Isn't it ironic.

Our nation has never seen more readily available information on how to properly eat, how to properly exercise, etc. etc.

We have the most cutting edge technology and know how in exercise science, to the point we know exactly which forms of exercise and how long to do them, and at what intensity, in order to maximize fat loss.

Hell, in a matter of seconds we can look at a few youtube videos and start doing some basic but intense bodyweight exercises that will start burning the fat.

We have the most cutting edge knowledge in nutrition, on what and how many calories to eat in order to lose weight and become ripped.

All of this, and yet Americans have seemingly gotten fatter and fatter.

People in this country and around the world will continue to get fatter until they learn to drastically change their eating patterns and habits. Portion control, basically.
But all this ^^^ can be done for free. The diet industry is a 40 billion dollar industry with some very powerful lobbyists. The fast food industry is a 200 billion dollar industry with some very powerful lobbyists. It's in both their best interests to convince Americans that they are deprived if they don't eat fast food every day like those thin people in the fast food commercials, and that they should be able to do this and stay normal weight -- for which they need the diet industry's expensive products.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:05 AM

11,030 posts, read 6,212,441 times
Women have been told by idiots to be proud of their body at any size. The world should be required to embrace their fat as beautiful. Well, they shouldn't be told that. Men don't find fat attractive. Fat isn't healthy. Being fat lowers self esteem. Gender studies loving, men hating, fat feminists have been telling young women lies and I find it despicable they are lying to them. Fat isn't beautiful.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 06-08-2016 at 08:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events