U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2016, 10:30 AM

8,652 posts, read 4,786,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Probably even more newsworthy.

Not only are the adults getting bigger, the kids are getting huge at a pretty scary rate too.
It's scary, but not shocking; the people who are raising them cannot or will not make healthy, permanent lifestyle changes for themselves. Hell, obesity has even increased in pets.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:39 AM

21,026 posts, read 15,233,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emissary View Post
Do you even know what a calorie is/measures? To say that 250 calories in bad food makes you gain more than 250 calories in good food is like saying a 100 lumen incandescent provides more light than a 100 lumen LED.
Do you actually know how many calories are burned for certain activities over certain lengths of time?

Young athletes get overweight because they put in more calories than they burn. People WAY overestimate how much they burn doing exercise. Michael Phelps gets to eat 8,000 calories/day because swimming/training is all he does. Johnny the high school linebacker should probably only be taking in an extra 200-300 calories/day over their maintenance intake during the season, maybe a bit more during 2-a-days.

Yes, eating bad food won't help you in terms of vitamins and being able to keep up in a game or practice, but 250 calories of crap food has the same amount of calories as 250 calories of good food. In terms of weight loss and gain, calories are all that matter.
It is exactly this sort of misinformation that continues to contribute to the obesity epidemic.

"As the dietitian for MyFitnessPal, I’m often asked, “Is a calorie a calorie?” Well, according to the laws of thermodymanics, yes, all calories are created equal (at least on paper). But—and this is a big but—the way the body breaks down carbohydrates, protein and fat, the three main sources of calories in our diet (four if you count alcohol), and the effect they have on our bodies differ vastly. "

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/ask-the...e-a-calorie-2/

https://authoritynutrition.com/6-rea...not-a-calorie/

All Calories Not Created Equal, Study Suggests

Calorie Count: Not All Calories are Created Equal | Runner's World

Old 06-08-2016, 10:50 AM

2,838 posts, read 1,163,727 times
You say women are getting fatter.

I say they're adding "pushin' cushion"

YMMV

Old 06-08-2016, 10:56 AM

174 posts, read 89,873 times
There is so much diet and nutrition information out there - much of it contradictory - that it is really hard to stick to a diet and lose weight. Just look at the arguments on here about whether or not the type of calories matters. It's overwhelming and frustrating trying to find out what you are actually supposed to do. Part of my problem is because of my metabolism. My doctor has told me that I've messed mine up with all the low-calorie dieting I've done in the past. If I had known that being miserable on 1200 calories was going to destroy any future attempts to lose weight, I sure wouldn't have put myself through that level of misery. But I didn't know better back then! It's also been a lot harder to lose weight since the birth of my daughter several years ago.

I developed bad acid reflux last year and had several symptoms of thyroid disease. In the course of trying to figure out the issues, I learned I had a vitamin D deficiency and have gluten sensitivity (not celiac disease though). This knowledge is helping me eat healthier and be healthier (and cutting out gluten has pretty much cured my acid reflux), but it's still difficult. I had to take prescription strength Vitamin D for 3 months and my levels improved but were still insufficient. Taking Vitamin D daily has improved my energy levels immeasurably. I'm still overweight, but the health panels they ran last fall while trying to diagnose me were all really good. No issues with anything (other than the low Vitamin D).

People aren't always overweight because they are lazy or making poor food choices. There are a lot of different factors. I think it's sad that fat shaming is still considered so widely acceptable. And the implication that fat women are displeasing to men and therefore need to get skinny leaves me just about speechless. I never realized my purpose in life was to make sure I was attractive to others. I'm glad my mom raised me not to live my life for others.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:56 AM

9,862 posts, read 13,189,716 times
It's sad, nothing new, and probably won't change anytime soon since the world is getting fatter.

A lot of Americans self medicate their stress with junk food instead of doing 30 minutes of exercise a day.

The worst part is the won't take responsibility for their bad decisions and blame others.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:08 AM

6,824 posts, read 4,866,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
More American women are more obese than ever - NY Daily News I know that there are millions of Americans regardless of gender that are obese. Funny how the article tries to pin some of the blame on celebrities that endorse products that contribute to weight gain. How about this novel idea? No one to blame but yourself. Its your choice to have a poor diet. Its your choice not to do some physical activity. So convenient to blame others!
Yes this is a huge problem (pun intended.)

The problem is that this is not only unattractive, unsanitary, etc, it is very unhealthy.

The one thing I've learned in studies in Nutrition Science is that the number one indicator of adverse health outcomes is holding onto excess body fat. It's just not good for our body system which leads to metabolic disorder, diabetes, HTN, CHF, etc.

It is very hard on our body to hold onto so much fat mass. The number one thing people can do to help themselves be healthier is to lose this excess body fat.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:29 AM

4,031 posts, read 3,265,650 times
In spite of everyone being on a perpetual diet, we the people here in the USA keep getting fatter and fatter -- and that includes men and children as well as women. I suspect it's because we're eating too much food and sitting on our rears watching reality TV (duh!).

Adult Obesity in the United States: The State of Obesity

Be sure to use the slider to see how the obesity rate has changed from 1990 to 2014; it's shocking. I ride the train to work and am amazed at the size of my fellow riders. (I am 5'11", was 267 lbs three years ago, have gotten down to 185 through diet and exercise, and will go into maintenance when I approach my goal of 170 lbs so yes, I have been there and walked the walk)

Old 06-08-2016, 11:36 AM

19,237 posts, read 11,137,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
LOL I would love to hahaha. Put it to you this way. I hit the gym 7 days a week. I am in phenomenal shape. I would put my physical fitness against you any day.

glad you have the time to be a gym rat- I'm not in anyone's competition- or approval/disapproval list, for that matter.. this thread is Boxing people again stoooppppp

Old 06-08-2016, 11:52 AM

6,171 posts, read 4,950,686 times
Eating healthy is not at all expensive. The problem is Americans are addicted to the sugar and salt found in pre-processed foods, so healthy foods taste bland to them. A lot of people are also too lazy to cook. Bulk rice, beans, lean chicken breasts are all very healthy. I had a period of my life where I was working and living with immigrants from south of the border. They ate very well on very little money.

On the subject of food stamps. It should be like the wic program where you're only permitted to buy basic healthy items like rice or lean milk. I see a lot of people going into the local 7-Eleven loading up on hot dogs, chips, big fountain sodas, all paying for it with food stamps.

Old 06-08-2016, 12:17 PM

8,531 posts, read 6,664,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
(Boorish) (fat) (masculine/unisex looking) (lacking a hint of traditional feminity) (baggy dressed) (butched up) (psycho medicated/"counselled") women who don't give a dime because of various socio economic reasons involving access to the jobs, support and assistance. That's modernity in a nutshell. Free at last. It is not like there is a choice if you are a male, statistically speaking, it is a positive "feedback" of a sort, low end men override their biology and take what women are willing to give (see above) which further impacts negatively) looks and attitudes of women freed from the survival worries. Social evolution in progress. A gender neutral beehive is our future.

Perhaps you should worry more about why you're unable to attract women who are up to your standards, and worry less about what the rest are doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events