U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2016, 12:21 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,119,238 times

Advertisements

kettle cooked potato chips with salt and pepper.....yum....fixin to knock off a whole bag of 'em right now......can't stop!

Old 06-08-2016, 12:21 PM

8,537 posts, read 6,667,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
In spite of everyone being on a perpetual diet, we the people here in the USA keep getting fatter and fatter -- and that includes men and children as well as women. I suspect it's because we're eating too much food and sitting on our rears watching reality TV (duh!).

Adult Obesity in the United States: The State of Obesity

Be sure to use the slider to see how the obesity rate has changed from 1990 to 2014; it's shocking. I ride the train to work and am amazed at the size of my fellow riders. (I am 5'11", was 267 lbs three years ago, have gotten down to 185 through diet and exercise, and will go into maintenance when I approach my goal of 170 lbs so yes, I have been there and walked the walk)
I don't think we are perpetually dieting. We perpetually talk about dieting, but sticking to one? I'm not sure most of the obese population does.

Old 06-08-2016, 12:26 PM

13,035 posts, read 7,199,948 times
[quote=ScottPlake;44330412]Agreed. And only cops can criticize other Police for their decisions. And, only other politicians can remark on the political moves of Congress, President, et al.

While we're at it, only movie producers can be film critics and the only time I want analysis of rape cases is by either the victims of rape or from someone who is a rapist.

+1

Being fit for me has been a real challenge with this super bug I picked up in 06. Being hot would make the bug go crazy and put me on another round of toxic antibiotics for a minimum of three months.

It's been a delicate balance for me to try to stay fit and not wind up on antibiotics.

I lost a dear friend who went through a gastric bypass and died because she couldn't control her addiction. I don't want that to be me.

I also don't want to give up those marshmallow chocolate covered bunnies. I'm just glad they only come out once a year. Had they been around yearly I don't think my clothes would be fitting as well as they do now.

Addiction is addiction whether it be food, alcohol, or drugs. Food addiction is hard to beat when it's so readily available and all around you.

I'm back on no carbs with lots of vegetables and salads in my diet and my middle of the night bike rides. It's cool, quiet, and no sun beating down on me. Even with that the super bug is taunting me. It's barely under control again. Sometimes I just think the heck with it. I'll just eat what I want and let go. Oh, but wait, I don't think John would want to have a physical side with me anymore. Never mind. I'll eat boring and do my best to ride off these fat cells late at night. I'll be dreaming of cold crisp winter nights and snowy dog walkies either day or night.

Old 06-08-2016, 12:32 PM

12,071 posts, read 5,599,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
LOL I would love to hahaha. Put it to you this way. I hit the gym 7 days a week. I am in phenomenal shape. I would put my physical fitness against you any day.
Mmmm, yes, everyone on CD is in great physical shape, could kick anyone's ass & they all own their own business, home & make in the triple digits or greater. Yep.

People eat processed food so much more here than many countries. So many people MUST DRIVE more here. Walk? What the heck is that? Not enough corner stores that sell fresh food, it's all processed crap.

Old 06-08-2016, 12:57 PM

4,034 posts, read 3,267,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
I don't think we are perpetually dieting. We perpetually talk about dieting, but sticking to one? I'm not sure most of the obese population does.
Point well taken.

"An estimated 45 million Americans diet each year and spend $33 billion annually on weight loss products. Yet, nearly two-thirds of Americans are overweight or obese."

Source: Tools for Ideal Weight Control | Nutrition & Weight Management | Boston Medical Center, BMC

45/324 (2016 estimate) = 14% of the American populace on a diet each year. The fact that 67% of us qualify as overweight or obese seems to indicate that 53% of us are either fat and happy with it, or float in and out of the 14% who are (or claim to be) dieting each year. That's pretty scary in terms of the health care costs involved both for individuals and society as a whole.

EDIT: Ultimately it's about personal choice. I don't think there's much we can do about it as a society, unfortunately. We like our bread and circuses, and as long as we spend endless hours in front of the TV stuffing our faces, nothing's going to change.

Last edited by Vasily; 06-08-2016 at 01:14 PM..

Old 06-08-2016, 01:21 PM

2,367 posts, read 1,523,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emissary View Post
Do you even know what a calorie is/measures? To say that 250 calories in bad food makes you gain more than 250 calories in good food is like saying a 100 lumen incandescent provides more light than a 100 lumen LED.
Do you actually know how many calories are burned for certain activities over certain lengths of time?

Young athletes get overweight because they put in more calories than they burn. People WAY overestimate how much they burn doing exercise. Michael Phelps gets to eat 8,000 calories/day because swimming/training is all he does. Johnny the high school linebacker should probably only be taking in an extra 200-300 calories/day over their maintenance intake during the season, maybe a bit more during 2-a-days.

Yes, eating bad food won't help you in terms of vitamins and being able to keep up in a game or practice, but 250 calories of crap food has the same amount of calories as 250 calories of good food. In terms of weight loss and gain, calories are all that matter.
Actually, not quite.

Your body was designed to break down certain sweeteners and fats relatively easily. It does not break down high fructose corn syrup or oleomargarine half as well. Even lard and other animal fats are processed better by your body.

https://www.princeton.edu/main/news/.../S26/91/22K07/

You can hardly buy a soda in the US that is made with cane sugar anymore, except at health food outlets. The soda machine does not carry them, nor does your average grocery store. You cannot buy chewing gum made with cane sugar in the US anymore. You have to look to Mexico to import healthier versions of those products.

High fructose corn syrup saturation has not only increased weight, and made it harder to burn off - but has also elevated levels of diabetes, and increased risks of certain cancers in the population. Our bodies were not designed to process manufactured sweeteners and oils.

http://www.hahv.org/wp-content/uploa...he-Obesity.pdf

Hydrogenated oils and petroleum based oils provide this same effect. Sugar is deadly and highly addictive, and so are natural saturated fats. However, both are easier for your body to process. We actually need fats on our diet in order to burn fat. Most baked goods, even some found in expensive health food stores, are made with manufactured oils.

Aging adds to the equation as well. Once you reach age 30, your body is starting to change, and at 50 your slowing metabolism is your worst enemy - you actually start to burn/lose about 1/2 pound of muscle mass each year. If you don't reach age 18 in relatively good physical shape, and remain overweight through your 30's, chances are you will have many problems if you are lucky enough to reach your 50's.

All calories are not the same. That is why we have so much information now on which natural and healthy foods help us pack on the pounds, and which of those foods help us burn fat. However, none of this information is very helpful when 1 in 6 Americans are living off foodstamps.

Old 06-08-2016, 01:37 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,119,238 times
Obiesity will be the reason for the gubmint to take control....When Hillary is President, the gubmint will control our diets....only gubmint approved foods will be available to sell to the Proletariat....of course, the Gubmint hierarchy will be able to purchase and eat what they want...

Old 06-08-2016, 01:57 PM

20,015 posts, read 20,514,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Point well taken.

"An estimated 45 million Americans diet each year and spend $33 billion annually on weight loss products. Yet, nearly two-thirds of Americans are overweight or obese."

Source: Tools for Ideal Weight Control | Nutrition & Weight Management | Boston Medical Center, BMC

45/324 (2016 estimate) = 14% of the American populace on a diet each year. The fact that 67% of us qualify as overweight or obese seems to indicate that 53% of us are either fat and happy with it, or float in and out of the 14% who are (or claim to be) dieting each year. That's pretty scary in terms of the health care costs involved both for individuals and society as a whole.

EDIT: Ultimately it's about personal choice. I don't think there's much we can do about it as a society, unfortunately. We like our bread and circuses, and as long as we spend endless hours in front of the TV stuffing our faces, nothing's going to change.
I assume the % of overweight or obese is determined using BMI. I know there is some controversy over the accuracy of this index. Its evident that Americans are becoming fatter but I'm not sure if BMI accurately reflects the percentages.

Unless we get back somehow to a place where we slow down and walk where we were going and grow and prepare our own food and stop being afraid to let our children venture out and actually do stuff, I agree there is not much society can do except continue to educate people on good nutrition and encouraging physical activity. I do believe there is much more to it than sitting in front of TV and stuffing our faces. We have become a nation of commuters and our jobs are sedimentary, our lives stressful and our food is highly processed and full of sugars, sodium, additives and the Gods only know what else.

Old 06-08-2016, 02:14 PM

32,559 posts, read 17,650,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
More American women are more obese than ever - NY Daily News I know that there are millions of Americans regardless of gender that are obese. Funny how the article tries to pin some of the blame on celebrities that endorse products that contribute to weight gain. How about this novel idea? No one to blame but yourself. Its your choice to have a poor diet. Its your choice not to do some physical activity. So convenient to blame others!

Not so fast.

How about the food processors that over the decades have added garbage like high fructose corn syrup and sodium glutamate to their products to trigger the hunger response in order to increase sales?

Con Agra, General Mills, Kraft, etc aren't concerned about nutritional value or your health. They look only at their bottom line, and if it increases at the expense of the public's health, so be it. Families with two working parents don't have the luxury of spending hours preparing meals.

Old 06-08-2016, 02:32 PM

4,034 posts, read 3,267,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I assume the % of overweight or obese is determined using BMI. I know there is some controversy over the accuracy of this index. Its evident that Americans are becoming fatter but I'm not sure if BMI accurately reflects the percentages.
Whether or not BMI were used in the graphs on the following page, the fact is the numbers have changed over the past 30 years:

Adult Obesity in the United States: The State of Obesity

Quote:
Unless we get back somehow to a place where we slow down and walk where we were going and grow and prepare our own food and stop being afraid to let our children venture out and actually do stuff, I agree there is not much society can do except continue to educate people on good nutrition and encouraging physical activity. I do believe there is much more to it than sitting in front of TV and stuffing our faces. We have become a nation of commuters and our jobs are sedimentary, our lives stressful and our food is highly processed and full of sugars, sodium, additives and the Gods only know what else.
An article from 2013:

Americans More Sedentary Than Ever | Health

I have a pedometer on my phone and it records my steps/miles taken every day. I try to take the stairs at work and park at the far end of the lot to maximize my walk to the train. There's a lot of small things people can do. I don't do nearly enough, myself.

From what I've read, kids today aren't getting physical education -- and too many of them are spending their free time playing video games rather than running around outside like we used to do when I was a kid.

Report: More PE, activity programs needed in schools

Combine this with things like super sizing, and the abundance of bad food choices that are available, we've created an unhealthy environment for our kids as well as ourselves. Unfortunately, a lot of us don't wake up until we're facing serious health problems as a result of our bad choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events