Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2016, 03:20 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,571,779 times

Advertisements

It should be clear to all of you by now that the folks who are NOT overweight are morally and intellectually superior to the folks who are overweight. Same with non-smokers vs smokers and non-drinkers vs drinkers. It may also apply to non-gamblers vs gamblers but we are still waiting on the data.

No other explanations need be given.

Old 06-08-2016, 03:48 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,585,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Perhaps you should worry more about why you're unable to attract women who are up to your standards, and worry less about what the rest are doing.
How does my mating success or lack of thereof affects visual reality where significant % women have given up on their femininity and appearances? It takes more than one woman to create non depressing visual background. What my description range do you fit in yourself since you "worry" so much about me not worrying?

Old 06-08-2016, 04:02 PM

194 posts, read 163,077 times
It does truly amaze me/slightly depress me to see how many people allow their health to deteriorate without trying to change their habits in any way.

However, I think genetics does play a role in obesity. My father, for decades, has drank a gallon of sweet tea every 2-3 days- he constantly has a glass in his hand. He has a pretty physical job, but has never gone to the gym and eats very large portions at every meal. He has never been even slightly overweight and never even thinks about what he eats because he simply doesn't have to. My mother, on the other hand, is overweight and has been for quite a few years. While she doesn't do much activity either she eats very small portions and sometimes she's so busy she forgets or doesn't have time for 3 whole meals during the day. She consumes many fewer calories, but she simply doesn't lose weight.

My point is that it's wrong for people to shame overweight people because sometimes there truly are other factors at play, but this does not mean people who are overweight get to make up an excuse for themselves. There is no 'one size fits all' weight loss program. Everyone is different. I do wish that our government would talk about this growing health crisis though. Our society has had long enough to correct this issue on its own and we clearly are not making progress.

The first step is accepting that we have an issue on both the individual level and societal level. Then we can move forward and solve it.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:33 PM

8,377 posts, read 4,357,906 times
I don't really care if people eat themselves to death. What bothers me is all the health issues they end up with including hypertension and diabetes. Then insurance companies and medicaid and medicare end up paying for their doctor and hospital care which means the tax payer pays for it.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:38 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,070,521 times
There are now so many overweight, fat, obese women that on single dating sites, size 12/14/16 women pick 'average' as body type.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:45 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,065,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Not so fast.

How about the food processors that over the decades have added garbage like high fructose corn syrup and sodium glutamate to their products to trigger the hunger response in order to increase sales?

Con Agra, General Mills, Kraft, etc aren't concerned about nutritional value or your health. They look only at their bottom line, and if it increases at the expense of the public's health, so be it. Families with two working parents don't have the luxury of spending hours preparing meals.
I don't agree with the last sentence my mom and dad both work for oil companies at full time jobs and both of them still cool meals almost everyday. Let's say your day starts at 8:00 and you come back at 5:30 or 6:30 depending on commute you still have a couple hours between 5:30-6:30 and 8:00 or 9:00 before you do personal time or hit the sack and go to sleep to cook.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:00 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
It is brutal if you are a man in some areas. Nature tuned men
to seek/enjoy looking at well proportioned woman' body and all we get these days - a herd of (super) fat cows. A natural pear shaped woman's body with reasonable amount of fat is so rare, it invites stares. American men are truly deprived breed (in more than one way). Girls, say NO to sugars and substitutes, have mercy.
Have you even seen and appreciated the masterpieces of Peter Paul Rubens? What is your opinion of the women in his paintings?

Old 06-08-2016, 10:15 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,061,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Its the same story over and over ....

Its very simple

Calorie deficit - you have to burn more calories than you put in your mouth.

Exercise and diet.

Everything else is major BS.

Excuses do not burn calories.

No truer statement than this^

Although there always those who claim "glandular problems", etc.....at risk of being offensive (but brutally honest) , there were no obese people or ones with glandular/metabolism issues that resulted in obesity in WWII concentration camps. Extreme example, yes, but the inescapably true point being is you burn more calories than you take in and obesity would cease to be a problem.

Although there are some examples where weight build up is somewhat unavoidable (bed confinement, serious injury preventing any type of movement. etc.) most excuses are made by those too lazy or too undisciplined to care or face the truth.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:39 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,653,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Have you even seen and appreciated the masterpieces of Peter Paul Rubens? What is your opinion of the women in his paintings?

Many women - AND MEN -today make the women painted by Rubens, notable for painting larger women - look just curvy.Or a bit over weight.

My guess is that the P.P. Ruben's women were not "morbidly obese". Many people in the US today are morbidly obese.

It's not a matter of a man who wears a size 36 waist and would look better in 33. We are talking about people, especially in the US,who are eating themselves to DEATH. That is the meaning of"morbid".

The Rubens women would not need to use an extra large wheel char. Or buy two seats on a plane. Or ride a scooter around a discount store.

I asked my wife to look at a picture of one of his subjects and tell me what size she likely wears. My wife has experience in retail and she sews and makes clothes as a hobby.
She guessed a size 12-16. Depending upon their height. Not a 3X.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:39 PM

366 posts, read 432,675 times
We also live in a society where looking like a Holocaust victim is considered ideal and sexy. How much of your ribcage, pelvic bones and clavicle need to be poking through skin to be accepted these days?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events