Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2016, 10:41 PM

5,859 posts, read 3,296,750 times

Advertisements

So I was a cop for 21 years. 20 of those years I worked midnights. I was always kind of thin. I didn't work out and guess what? I gained weight. I am 5ft 10in tall. My weight got up to 190. I didn't like what I saw and how I felt. I ended up after 9/11 having a paralyzed diaphragm on my left side. It made me lose 40% of my breathing function. Luckily after surgery I am back over 90% breathing function. I started to work out and I cut back on certain things in my diet. Basically with work and being a single parent I did not have much time to exersize. I would take my son to wrestling practice and then I would shoot over to the gym for one hour of working out 5 to 6 days a week. Then I retired. I now hit the gym 7 days a week. In the past year I probably missed the gym a handful of times. My 190 is now 155. So yes there are people with medical conditions that gain weight through no fault of their own. However the majority of overweight people eat too much and don't exersize.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:13 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,857,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekab23 View Post
We also live in a society where looking like a Holocaust victim is considered ideal and sexy. How much of your ribcage, pelvic bones and clavicle need to be poking through skin to be accepted these days?
Maybe in 1994 or something. The look these days is to have a butt the size of an ottoman and thighs as big around as Christmas hams.

Old 06-09-2016, 01:55 AM

23,217 posts, read 29,031,323 times
Why the surprise?

There's the tobacco factor. Tobacco is, factually, an herb, with medicinal properties, and one side effect during the smoking years, was tobacco serves well as an appetite suppressant!

My sister, who quit smoking years ago, is among those statistics. And?

"Yes, I'm overweight, but I did quit smoking!"

Old 06-09-2016, 05:38 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,198,037 times
It's never been easier to be an in shape woman. You can be average across the board but by not being 200 points you stand out amongst all the whales we see on the street lol

Old 06-09-2016, 05:44 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,297,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
More American women are more obese than ever - NY Daily News I know that there are millions of Americans regardless of gender that are obese. Funny how the article tries to pin some of the blame on celebrities that endorse products that contribute to weight gain. How about this novel idea? No one to blame but yourself. Its your choice to have a poor diet. Its your choice not to do some physical activity. So convenient to blame others!
I blame the high cost of healthy food and the low cost of unhealthy food.

Old 06-09-2016, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post

I posted in the food section last week a photo of what I was having for dinner.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/food-...l#post44233247

Someone repped me saying this

I had to wonder if this was an overweight or obese person leaving me this comment. That is plenty of food for a woman who is 5'3 and who saved room for desert!
That meal does look ultra low calorie but if you are doing the six mini meals as suggested by dietitians, looks good to me.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Calories in, calories burned. People are spending billions of dollars a year on 'diet' programs and food.
3500 calories are one pound. When you consume 2000 calories a day and burn only 1900, you will gain weight.
Not how it works. We all need a basic caloric intake to live and have energy. For example, my net caloric intake everyday is 1700 calories. I can eat 1700 calories and maintain my weight OR I could eat 2300 calories and burn off 600 calories, still netting 1700.

Misinformation like this (you have to burn 2000 calories a day) makes people very wary of trying to lose weight. VERY few people can burn that amount during one day, let alone do it all the time.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
(Boorish) (fat) (masculine/unisex looking) (lacking a hint of traditional feminity) (baggy dressed) (butched up) (psycho medicated/"counselled") women who don't give a dime because of various socio economic reasons involving access to the jobs, support and assistance. That's modernity in a nutshell. Free at last. It is not like there is a choice if you are a male, statistically speaking, it is a positive "feedback" of a sort, low end men override their biology and take what women are willing to give (see above) which further impacts negatively) looks and attitudes of women freed from the survival worries. Social evolution in progress. A gender neutral beehive is our future.
How self involved! As if women owe men anything or to look a certain way for men! Please. I've seen plenty of men dressed the way you describe. I've never thought that males have an obligation to dress a certain way for me or other females.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Eating healthy is not at all expensive. The problem is Americans are addicted to the sugar and salt found in pre-processed foods, so healthy foods taste bland to them. A lot of people are also too lazy to cook. Bulk rice, beans, lean chicken breasts are all very healthy. I had a period of my life where I was working and living with immigrants from south of the border. They ate very well on very little money.

On the subject of food stamps. It should be like the wic program where you're only permitted to buy basic healthy items like rice or lean milk. I see a lot of people going into the local 7-Eleven loading up on hot dogs, chips, big fountain sodas, all paying for it with food stamps.
Its not been my experience that healthy food is less expensive except for chicken.

Fruit
Healthier milks, breads, condiments, etc are much more expensive than their unhealthy counterparts here in Northeastern Pennsylvania. Also, fruit and veggies tend to be more expensive at farmers' markets than grocery stores which import their stuff from foreign countries.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffeetrekker View Post
Obiesity will be the reason for the gubmint to take control....When Hillary is President, the gubmint will control our diets....only gubmint approved foods will be available to sell to the Proletariat....of course, the Gubmint hierarchy will be able to purchase and eat what they want...
What is a gubmint? Is it a new breath refresher I've not heard of yet??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events