Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2016, 01:30 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
But you have access to those things. Often the poorest parts of a city are town are the farthest from even a regular grocery store, let alone one that offers hormone-free, free-range chicken and such. Many times the only stores nearby are convenience stores, which offer little healthy food. The other close options are fast food (which is also usually cheaper than convenience stores). It's easy to say, "Just go to the further grocery store," from your comfortable house, but for someone who has no reliable transportation, it's not that simple.
With poverty, too, it's not just the cost of food, but do these people have the tools and the skills to cook something from scratch? Or even the time--someone working two jobs might not have two hours to roast a chicken when they can pick up a bucket from KFC and eat in ten minutes.

Old 06-09-2016, 01:44 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,237,826 times
Quote:
I think economics have something to do with it as well. More women live in poverty than men. It's been proven time and time again that poverty is a contributing factor to obesity.

There is also some genetic component to this. Women, even women of a healthy weight, have a naturally higher body fat percentage. Men naturally have a higher muscle mass.
That's probably right. I live near an area where the average net worth is 8 figures and all the women seem to be size 0.

Old 06-09-2016, 01:45 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,207,396 times
Quote:
But you have access to those things. Often the poorest parts of a city are town are the farthest from even a regular grocery store, let alone one that offers hormone-free, free-range chicken and such. Many times the only stores nearby are convenience stores, which offer little healthy food. The other close options are fast food (which is also usually cheaper than convenience stores). It's easy to say, "Just go to the further grocery store," from your comfortable house, but for someone who has no reliable transportation, it's not that simple.
It is illegal for stores to sell chickens injected with hormones
Same as pigs

The chicken that's processes in
The u s. Has no growth hormones!!

Look it up if you don't believe me

Old 06-09-2016, 01:51 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
With poverty, too, it's not just the cost of food, but do these people have the tools and the skills to cook something from scratch? Or even the time--someone working two jobs might not have two hours to roast a chicken when they can pick up a bucket from KFC and eat in ten minutes.
Poverty aside. Single working parents or duel earning parents often don't have time if their kids are involved in activities. For example I get up at 5 to go to work, so Monday is FB practice/open gym. I get home at ~ 4:40 which gives me time to pee and throw clothes in dryer and drive kid to FB practice by ~4;45. Directly from FB to open gym 7-9. Get home at 9:15 ish. Tue/Thurs/Friday is just FB so home about 7. Wed. is just open gym, I get home at 4:45 (after grocery shopping) and have 2 hours before I have to drive kid to gym.

Now I have a few hours here and there to cook and make an effort to fix some healthy meals but often it is easier to grab something quick and most often I have to let other things go. My house is a mess and my flower garden is full of weeds, behind on mowing, repairs/projects not getting done.
As I've said its not always laziness as some people want to believe. It takes planning, effort and some sacrifice to cook good meals and thankfully the kid will eat healthy food, to an extent (still trying to push the quinoa and kale), but its not always first priority. And sometime people are just too tired.

Old 06-09-2016, 01:55 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
That's probably right. I live near an area where the average net worth is 8 figures and all the women seem to be size 0.
They probably don't work, have nanny's to take care of the kids while the are at the gym all day. Or can afford lipo and tucks.

Old 06-09-2016, 03:22 PM

7,708 posts, read 5,448,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Here I can buy 3 apples for the same price as a bag of chips for snacks. The chips are gone in one day, the apples last for 3.

I can spend $6 on a frozen pizza or I can buy a pound of chicken breast ($1.79) two bags of frozen steamable vegetables ($2) and a whole grain side like black rice or quinoa or beans ($.50) plus spices condiments ($.70). The pizza is one meal if I buy a thin crust, or two meals for a pan crust. The chicken is 4 meals.

Highly refined carbs saturated in fat are so easy to overeat, that even though the healthier food is more per pound, you end up eating much less and it ends up being the better buy.
The regular price per pound of organic chicken breast (it is local) we buy is $10, so we wait until it is on sale and even then it is far more expensive than your chicken.

We don't pay sales tax on food in California, and if we were to move anywhere else, we would ensure that we could still buy lots of local organic food and that there is no sales tax on food. We seldom buy foods that are GMO, although that is getting more and more difficult to do. GMO-foods are largely engineered to withstand the onslaught of herbicides/pesticides, so they are usually much more laden with herbicides/pesticides.

(Does anyone here live where food is taxed? Does anyone know if their state taxes food or have a list?)

Old 06-09-2016, 03:29 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,421,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
It is illegal for stores to sell chickens injected with hormones
Same as pigs

The chicken that's processes in
The u s. Has no growth hormones!!

Look it up if you don't believe me
You are correct, but I was using the poster's example. However, the rest is pretty accurate. In suburbia and wealthier areas, there are grocery stores everywhere. But think of the poorest sections of cities and how many grocery stores you see. Now think of how many convenience and fast food outlets you see. If you are working 12 hours a day and taking public transportation, going an extra 10 miles out of your way just isn't very practical, so you buy what's available to you.

Old 06-09-2016, 03:37 PM

7,708 posts, read 5,448,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
I asked my wife to look at a picture of one of his subjects and tell me what size she likely wears. My wife has experience in retail and she sews and makes clothes as a hobby.

She guessed a size 12-16. Depending upon their height. Not a 3X.
If you look at the preponderance of women painted by Rubens, they may be a size 16, but definitely not a size 12.

Or, if wearing separates, they may wear a 12-14 on the top and a 16-18 on the bottom, since they are bottom-heavy women, for the most part. I didn't see hourglass figures.

Also, they are not firm or toned. They are very soft and "fleshy."

Last edited by SFBayBoomer; 06-09-2016 at 03:45 PM..

Old 06-09-2016, 03:42 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,041,352 times
Today's size 12 would have been about a 16 in the 60s.

Old 06-09-2016, 03:44 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,486,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
The regular price per pound of organic chicken breast (it is local) we buy is $10, so we wait until it is on sale and even then it is far more expensive than your chicken.

We don't pay sales tax on food in California, and if we were to move anywhere else, we would ensure that we could still buy lots of local organic food and that there is no sales tax on food. We seldom buy foods that are GMO, although that is getting more and more difficult to do. GMO-foods are largely engineered to withstand the onslaught of herbicides/pesticides, so they are usually much more laden with herbicides/pesticides.

(Does anyone here live where food is taxed? Does anyone know if their state taxes food or have a list?)
Okay but if you were deciding among McDonald's or a frozen pizza or home cooked chicken/veggie/starch, would you be comparing the price to organic chicken? I think the people who would eat junk food probably wouldn't insist on organic when it came to cooking food at home.

Idaho has a 6% food tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events