U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 11:55 PM

6,488 posts, read 6,605,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I pity the poor fool
Right on, Mr. T!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 07:45 AM

8,510 posts, read 11,398,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
As a very frequent visitor to Yellowstone, the boardwalks are safe and any area that has an immediate danger to it has railing.

Those tow pics you showed has a boardwalk that is not next to a danger area. That water is not boiling nor is it at all deep, may 20 inches or so at the most.

Most importantly; if someone thinks something might be dangerous, they should not go, it is simple. Also, no barrier is going to stop someone from hopping the barrier and walking over 200 yards off the path.
I didn't take note that the story quoted was from 1970, so I thought it was present day:
Quote:
In the middle of [the afternoon of June 28, 1970], Andy C. Hecht, 9, of Williamsville, New York, was walking with his vacationing family along a boardwalk near Crested Pool in the Old Faithful area. That awesomely beautiful hot spring had so captivated early visitors to the Park that it received a slough of romantic names, among them "Fire Basin", "Circe's Boudoir", and the "Devil's Well". A puff of hot wind apparently blew the pool's hot vapor into Andy's eyes, momentarily blinding him at a turn in the walkway. Some accounts claim Andy tripped at the edge of the boardwalk, which had no guardrail. At any rate, he plunged into the pool where the temperature was over 200˚ F. Andy tried vainly to swim a couple of strokes, then was scalded to death and sank. According to two national magazines, the last glimpse his mother had of him was seeing his rigid, stark-white face, the mark of his pain and apprehension of death, sinking into the boiling water. Andy's father stated that they did not see him fall; he was behind them on the boardwalk when he hear a splash, turned around, and saw in horror that he had fallen into Crested Pool. Regardless, his body sank out of sight. Eight pounds of bone, flesh and clothing were recovered the following day.
If they've since fixed this issue with railings at the danger areas, that's all I was arguing for.

The "good ole days" certainly weren't much for safety. As a toddler, I sat in the front bench of my dad's Firebird, with no carseat, of course...

Old 06-10-2016, 07:55 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,919,962 times
Oh well sucks for him. Hopefully this fool's death discourages other would-be idiots.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:02 AM

6,308 posts, read 3,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
If they've since fixed this issue with railings at the danger areas, that's all I was arguing for.
They have. As I said, you have to work at it to be seriously injured in the thermal areas in the frontcountry, which is the only part of the part most tourists ever see.

(Backcountry's another matter - but if you're going there, you should know what you're doing. The thermal features there are spectacular - and made more so by the lack of obtrusive safety signing and man-made structures like boardwalks - but any time you are in the backcountry you are on your own and need to exercise good judgement and accept the risk that the backcountry will never be 100% safe.)

Old 06-10-2016, 08:03 AM

17,497 posts, read 10,129,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Yes. When I visited back in the late seventies, we took a guided tour and an unexpected geiser event happened just off our trail ( not on a boardwalk trail, just dirt ). The guide was taken aback. As a kid- I was delighted at the spontaneity and found "Old Faithful" which has been packaged for safety quite boring.

That said, even at twelve years of age I wasn't silly enough to take my chances where you can visibly see BOILING water and mud, and smell the sulfur straight up from the earth's core.

Poor guy. He must have been a few sandwiches short of a picnic to stroll around that spot.
I was thinking this very thing........hell the water looks way hotter than the home faucet, why would anyone want to get any closer. The tours have a lot more people than the 15 that was on the tour I attended as a 12 yr old, in the 70's.

What a sad way to go.......

Old 06-10-2016, 08:52 AM

11,759 posts, read 5,210,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
I would assume the death was similar to what a live lobster feels when it is boiled alive.
I would venture a guess that a live lobster "feels alive" when it is being boiled alive. *rimshot*

Twice as hot as boiling water, no? Hopefully, he didn't suffer too much.

Mick

Old 06-10-2016, 10:05 AM

10,577 posts, read 6,832,316 times
Quote:
It's a mystery why anyone would dive headfirst into a Yellowstone hot spring merely to save a dog, but that is precisely what happened on July 20, 1981. David Kirwan and his friend Ronald Ratcliff parked their car at the Yellowstone Fountain Paint Pot parking lot at around one o'clock in the afternoon. When the men looked at the hot spring, Ratcliff's dog Moosie, a mastiff or Great Dane, escaped from the car.

Moosie ran toward Celestine Pool and jumped in, legs spread out like wings landing, a loud gorgeous splash into water later measured at 202 degrees. Moosie started yelping and someone nearby quipped, "Oh, look at the poor thing."

Kirwan took two steps into the pool and dove headfirst into the boiling water. One witness described it as a flying, swimming pool type dive. Vistor Earl Welch of Alabama described it as more of a "swan dive," but Annie Franklin of Minnesota said it was "a pretty lame dive, lacking any grace, but the type of dive a man desperate to get his brain back from a boiling dog would do."

Dave was a walking corpse. His entire body was so badly burned, his skin was already peeling off. Dave was blind -- his eyes appeared totally white. They removed one of his shoes, and the men watched horrified as his skin came off with it. Ron screamed, "Don't do that." And Dave said, "It doesn't matter."

Near the spring, Rangers found two large pieces of skin shaped like human hands.
--Death in Yellowstone, by Lee Whittlesey

David Kirwan did not survive.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:51 AM

2,850 posts, read 767,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Boil and/or drowned. Probably a combination of both. Neither of which sound like much fun.
I'm picturing the last lobster I had for dinner and his timely demise...

Old 06-10-2016, 01:40 PM

1,806 posts, read 1,245,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
That some people cannot have the smallest amount of pity for a man who died a gruesome and incredibly painful death is far sadder and "stupider" to me. What a thing to mock and laugh at. Disgusting.
I really have to agree along withe the EXTREME over usage here of 1. Natural Selection and 2. Darwin Award - in this situation .. it's ridiculous .

Yeah we get you know what the 2 mean .

Old 06-10-2016, 02:56 PM

6,704 posts, read 4,171,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Annie Franklin of Minnesota said it was "a pretty lame dive, lacking any grace, but the type of dive a man desperate to get his brain back from a boiling dog would do."
?????

What an odd thing to say...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or