Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 04:10 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times

Advertisements

http://trib.com/news/state-and-regio...78585040a.html

Quote:
Rangers began efforts to recover Scott's body on Wednesday, but later terminated their search, said Yellowstone spokeswoman Charissa Reid.

"There wasn't anything to recover," she said.
Yikes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 04:33 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,148,041 times
I think these areas need more surveillance by rangers. If there aren't enough rangers - hire more. Put people to work and save the life of a tourist or animal. There has been too much mischief in Yellowstone lately.

RIP Mr Scott.

Old 06-08-2016, 04:56 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
I think these areas need more surveillance by rangers. If there aren't enough rangers - hire more. Put people to work and save the life of a tourist or animal. There has been too much mischief in Yellowstone lately.
No, the areas don't need more surveillance by rangers. Tourists need to read the warnings and heed them, or pay the price for not doing so. National Parks aren't Disneyland, and trying to turn them into Disneyland only destroys the very thing that makes them special: their wildness.

Old 06-08-2016, 05:03 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,555,450 times
Quote:

RIP Mr Scott.

LOL, have a long talk with your congressman...they hold the purse strings.

Old 06-08-2016, 05:04 PM

50,794 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
No, the areas don't need more surveillance by rangers. Tourists need to read the warnings and heed them, or pay the price for not doing so. National Parks aren't Disneyland, and trying to turn them into Disneyland only destroys the very thing that makes them special: their wildness.
I agree.

All it requires to be safe from death or scalding in the thermal areas is to read signs and stay on the boardwalks. Yellowstone is my favorite national park. Only an idiot does what this man did. Now, being attacked by a grizzly bear or the like...that's a little different.

Old 06-08-2016, 05:34 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
LOL, have a long talk with your congressman...they hold the purse strings.
And like everything else, budgets are being slashed left and right:

US National Parks Funding Woes: Budget Shortfalls Drive Unpopular Proposals To Allow Commercial Logos

Quote:
Right now, America’s national parks are suffering from a $12 billion repair and maintenance backlog. From fiscal years 2005 through 2014, funds appropriated by Congress for the National Park Service dropped 8 percent, the Washington Post reported. Financial struggles have led to staffing cuts and diminished services for visitors, and some places are considering raising certain fees.

Old 06-08-2016, 05:35 PM

469 posts, read 398,516 times
They were 225 yards off the boardwalk. A football field is 100 yards long.

It was apparently to me as a visiting 9 year old child that stepping off the path onto a moon-crust landscape with boiling steam shooting off randomly was a stupid idea.

No amount of supervision is going to save some people from themselves.

Old 06-08-2016, 05:39 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Now, being attacked by a grizzly bear or the like...that's a little different.
Even that's not so very different. There's certainly an unavoidable element of risk for the backcountry visitor (although it can be kept to a minimum by following the proper safety rules, which the park makes all overnight backcountry visitors read before issuing them a backcountry camping permit). But the majority of the visitors never get anywhere near the backcounty, and the majority of injuries caused by animals happen because tourons, ignoring the copious warning signs, approach the wild animals far too closely.

I'm fine with trying to make our cities as safe as possible in an attempt to protect the dim-witted among us from their own lack of common sense. But our wilderness areas are emphatically NOT cities! Nonetheless, by obeying a few simple safety rules, the average casual visitor can visit these magnificent places in reasonable safety. That's good enough for me, and I think for most people. Why let the foolish spoil the natural ambiance of our parks for everyone?

(Yellowstone's my favorite park, too.)

Old 06-08-2016, 05:51 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times
From the article:
Quote:
Rangers began efforts to recover Scott's body on Wednesday, but later terminated their search, said Yellowstone spokeswoman Charissa Reid.

"There wasn't anything to recover," she said.
From the book Death in Yellowstone:
Quote:
In the middle of [the afternoon of June 28, 1970], Andy C. Hecht, 9, of Williamsville, New York, was walking with his vacationing family along a boardwalk near Crested Pool in the Old Faithful area. That awesomely beautiful hot spring had so captivated early visitors to the Park that it received a slough of romantic names, among them "Fire Basin", "Circe's Boudoir", and the "Devil's Well". A puff of hot wind apparently blew the pool's hot vapor into Andy's eyes, momentarily blinding him at a turn in the walkway. Some accounts claim Andy tripped at the edge of the boardwalk, which had no guardrail. At any rate, he plunged into the pool where the temperature was over 200˚ F. Andy tried vainly to swim a couple of strokes, then was scalded to death and sank. According to two national magazines, the last glimpse his mother had of him was seeing his rigid, stark-white face, the mark of his pain and apprehension of death, sinking into the boiling water. Andy's father stated that they did not see him fall; he was behind them on the boardwalk when he hear a splash, turned around, and saw in horror that he had fallen into Crested Pool. Regardless, his body sank out of sight. Eight pounds of bone, flesh and clothing were recovered the following day.
Quote:
I think these areas need more surveillance by rangers.
Please. There are miles and miles of boardwalks through thermal areas at Yellowstone. The boardwalks do just what they're supposed to do - they make is very safe for people to explore some of the thermal areas. What they don't do is make it absolutely, 100% safe. Nor should they. You might as well say that all the animals should be behind fences and every cliff should have a railing.

Old 06-08-2016, 05:52 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,986,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
What could the rangers possibly recover other than the skeletal remains? I don't consider the ranger's lives worth the risk.
I agree . By the time they fish him out . He should just be bones . That boiling water would probably eat away all the skin and organs within a couple hours . Not to mention the hot pressure . Yikes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events