Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 06:02 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,029,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
I think these areas need more surveillance by rangers. If there aren't enough rangers - hire more. Put people to work and save the life of a tourist or animal. There has been too much mischief in Yellowstone lately.

RIP Mr Scott.
No, people need to follow posted signs and stay where they're supposed to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 06:15 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
You can't legislate away STUPID and you certainly cannot protect the truly DUMB from themselves. Like others who've been to Yellowstone, it's VERY apparent that you should stay on the pathways or real bad things could happen.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:27 PM

422 posts, read 335,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
You can't legislate away STUPID and you certainly cannot protect the truly DUMB from themselves. Like others who've been to Yellowstone, it's VERY apparent that you should stay on the pathways or real bad things could happen.

Exactly! I spent weeks every summer camping in a trailer until I was 12 in Yellowstone and grand Teton parks. I was even in the next campground site to a bear mauling (people who were in a tent). Other than mosquito bites and a cuople of scraped knees, never issues. Stay on the walkways, keep distance from wild animals and never have food outside in bear country!!

Old 06-08-2016, 06:43 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Another finalist for this years Darwin Award, what a waste.....

Old 06-08-2016, 06:58 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Another finalist for this years Darwin Award, what a waste.....
Better yet, another episode of 1001 ways to die!

Old 06-08-2016, 07:00 PM

947 posts, read 1,401,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Very true. Reminds me of the time when I visited Hawaii Volcanoes National Park on the Big Island and asked a park ranger what was the stupidest thing he had ever seen anyone do there. His reponse: someone decided to walk right onto a steaming lava field -- and then got stuck when his sneakers began to melt into the lava because of the intense heat. Fortunately for this moron (but perhaps not for the human gene pool), he was able to be rescued.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:38 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,433,136 times
Darwin Award winner. Say no more.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:39 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,146,337 times
Ive been to lots of national parks, Yellowstone and Crater Lake in Oregon among them. Crater Lake is a caldera and its slopes are about 1000 feet straight down from the rim to the lake. Gravity practically pulls you down once you reach a certain point on the edge of the rim. You wont even realize this is happening until it may be too late to stop your slow fall.

When I was there they seemed to have too many rangers on first sight, but as our visit went on, it became apparent they were necessary. People may or may not bother to read a warning sign, but fewer of them will ignore a warning from a park official. Even if they have a contrary personality, the visible presence of authority is enough to keep most of park visitors in line.

225 yards off the boardwalk is stupid and a blatant disregard of safe parameters. When I was at Yellowstone, we didn't need a warning sign to stay on the boardwalk. Those boiling pots were very active at that time.

People are obviously doing a lot of stupid stuff and taking stupid liberties in the parks these days. Their stupidity does not just effect them, but also animals. Visible authority figures, just like in most towns and cities, have a way of smartening people up.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:49 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,976,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
People are obviously doing a lot of stupid stuff and taking stupid liberties in the parks these days.
I think a certain percentage of park visitors have always done stupid stuff. We just see it more now partly because many more people visit the parks, and partly because of social media.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:42 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,916,788 times
Did he died?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events