Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 03:45 PM

93 posts, read 86,690 times

Advertisements

Middle school teacher in trouble after administering "Pimps and Hos" math test / Boing Boing

Quote:
Teacher JoAnne Bolser of Mobile, Alabama's public Cranford Burns Middle School was put on leave last week after administering a math test with word problems about pimps, hos, cocaine dealing, drive-by shootings, gangmembers who "knocked up" multiple girls, and other delightful subjects. The questions included:

"Tyrone knocked up 4 girls in the gang. There are 20 girls in his gang. What is the exact percentage of girls Tyrone knocked up?"

"Pedro got 6 years for murder. He also got $10,000 for the hit. If his common-law wife spends $100 of his hit money per month, how much money will be left when he gets out?"

Dwayne pimps 3 ho's. If the price is $85 per trick, how many tricks per day must each ho turn to support Dwayne's $800 per day crack habit?

Kids in Bolser's class texted photos of the quiz to their parents, sparking an investigation.

"The principal looked into it and then our school resource officer investigated it and then we immediately put the teacher on administrative leave," said the school's director of communications, Rena Philips.

Bolser was already planning to retire at the end of the school year this month.

According to Snopes, the quiz, known as the "L.A. Math Test," has circulated on the Web for years as a "joke" and Bolser is far from the first idiot to distribute it to students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 04:04 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,283,788 times
I had to look up this Joanne Bolser to see what she looked like. She doesn't the profile the someone I would think would do this. Mobile County teacher placed on leave over quiz on drugs/prostitutes | WPMI

Yes. The test is inappropriate in ways. I had a couple of teachers give word problems like this when I was in school. You know what, the tests made me laugh. I learned the subject matter better and remembered it be it better because someone had taken a hard and boring subject and made it humorous.

Old 06-08-2016, 04:32 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,486,079 times
I'd have to be reallly drunk to think that was either funny or appropriate for school. Perhaps she drinks?

Old 06-08-2016, 04:48 PM

10,019 posts, read 8,624,361 times
Good grades she hoped they'd achieve
the results she couldn't believe
She gave them a test
which was meant in jest
And then she was ordered to leave.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:10 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,711,000 times
The article says she is set to retire this year, so I guess she wanted to incinerate every last bit of that bridge.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:57 PM

19 posts, read 22,064 times
*Well, hmph... at least, they can't say this test is 'culturally-biased.'*

I wonder if that is what she was thinking... lol... this is sad, but the comedian in me can't help but to laugh... I'll cut you some slack on bigotry if it's funny.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:27 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,209,083 times
The first question is flawed because it is worded poorly. Ramon could 'attempt' an infinite number of drive by shootings, but Ramon could 'complete' only 2 or 2.5 drive by shootings if fractions are counted.

I seriously think this is a fake story.

Old 06-09-2016, 02:16 AM

2,055 posts, read 1,447,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
The first question is flawed because it is worded poorly. Ramon could 'attempt' an infinite number of drive by shootings, but Ramon could 'complete' only 2 or 2.5 drive by shootings if fractions are counted.

I seriously think this is a fake story.
For what it's worth.

It would be nice if you were correct, but alas ... I saw this test 25 years ago and at the time it was credited to some NYC teacher who also got in trouble for giving it then.

El Nox

Old 06-09-2016, 04:54 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,382,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy Fresh View Post
I wonder if that is what she was thinking... lol... this is sad, but the comedian in me can't help but to laugh..
omg, me too! I am horrified and laughing at the same time.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:04 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,827,945 times
I tried to answer the 2 questions on the test above....... I dunno how good I did

1) 52 rounds??

2) 42.5 dollars an ounce

Anyone know if I am right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events