U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2016, 08:12 AM

7,169 posts, read 8,756,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Visitors to Florida need to know this. We certainly didn't coming from NY. I understand that the Hotel had a sign posted at this Lagoon saying "No Swimming", which these parents weren't actually doing. HOWEVER, they need to tell the people WHY. No Swimming. ALLIGATORS possible. It is a very real possibility with any body of water, especially during the Summer Rainy Season in Florida when these ponds and lakes get higher. The gators can swim through the underwater drainage systems from place to place.

Horrific tragedy but if an additional warning can save another child's life, do it.
How about no means no, are people so wrapped up in themselves that they have to be spoon fed for everything. That's like the idiot in NY who ran the railroad crossing and got hit by the train her family is going to sue, for what ignoring the dropped crossing arms and flashing light. Does no one take responsibility for their actions anymore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 08:31 AM

991 posts, read 709,757 times
Does this mean Disney is going to shut down the Captain Hook experience for a while?

Old 06-15-2016, 08:44 AM

6,297 posts, read 3,474,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
How about no means no, are people so wrapped up in themselves that they have to be spoon fed for everything.
The sign said "NO SWIMMING," but the kid wasn't swimming, just wading. The parents probably though they were obeying the signage, since they weren't letting their kid actually swim or go in very deep. The thought that an alligator might be in the water probably never occurred to them, as most folks in the US don't live in areas where large predators live in the water.

I'm all for roasting folks who walk heedlessly into danger because they blatantly ignore warnings (as my posts in the thread about the recent Yellowstone hot spring death show). But I think this probably represents a tragic death due to genuine ignorance of a risk, not "I'm a special snowflake and the rules don't apply to ME!" behavior.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:47 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,860,407 times
Wait... this thread contains two separate incidents. Was the latest one merged? Shouldn't the recent tragedy have it's own thread?

Old 06-15-2016, 08:49 AM

11,062 posts, read 8,980,576 times
This is a tragic mistake on the parents part that they will live with the rest of their lives. I can't imagine what they are going through. People fail to realize the happiest place on earth still is at the mercy of mother nature.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:14 AM

5,445 posts, read 4,393,490 times
Truly sad that the child lost his life (talking about the recent incident at the Disney resort). One thing I have learned from living in Florida for most of my life is that you treat EVERY body of water as if there are gators in there. Heck, even pools aren't safe.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:17 AM

2,927 posts, read 1,429,178 times
I think 16' is the record. The golf course gator was considered to be 15'...I read.

Growing huge from grass fertilizer? Do you know anything at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Guard rail? they climb over that- did you not see the latest alligator roaming the golf course in Bradenton FL - he was good 20 ft long- Google alligators in Fl - under images Alligators kill, eat and bite-- lately they have been growing huge-- probably all that grass fertilizer

Old 06-15-2016, 09:28 AM

51,185 posts, read 50,480,930 times
A four-year-old was eaten by a gator right after I arrived in Florida for a visit years ago. It came out of a pond near her house where she was outside with her brother and grabbed her. The brother got a neighbor who shot the alligator but it was too late. I never forgot that, and when I had my own kid and went down to FL for visits to family, it was on my mind.

People move down there and not thinking tie their dogs out and lose them, too.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:31 AM

11,894 posts, read 9,612,778 times
Apparently I'm one of the few who wouldn't even wade knee deep in the water if I saw a sign that said "no swimming." Maybe I'd walk through the water ankle deep along the beach, like where waves come in if there is any wave action, but definitely not even in freshwater in Florida. Not enough people know about the gator danger in Florida. You have to assume that EVERY body of freshwater has gators, and be vigilant nearby as well. They're not just IN the water, they're also around it and they are very stealthy - quick and quiet.

I certainly would not let my 2 year old wade at all in any water at 9:30 at night anywhere. Sad situation but yet again, this is a case of parents making stupid decisions, regarding the little boy who was taken by a gator last night.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:31 AM

6,307 posts, read 7,129,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
The sign said "NO SWIMMING," but the kid wasn't swimming, just wading. The parents probably though they were obeying the signage, since they weren't letting their kid actually swim or go in very deep. The thought that an alligator might be in the water probably never occurred to them, as most folks in the US don't live in areas where large predators live in the water.
I think it will be interesting how this one plays out- in terms of what a "reasonable person" (legally speaking) would interpret a "no swimming" sign to mean. To me, when I see a "no swimming" sign, I include wading, and splashing about in said water as included. I'm by no means saying that I'm the hypothetical "reasonable person" in this, but I do think that different people might have different interpretations of it.

This past weekend, we were at the Washington coast. There were "no swimming" signs all over the beaches there. IIRC, they said something to the effect of "no swimming, severe rip tides". I know, from life experience, that one does not have to be in deep water in order to be sucked in by a rip tide. Someone "wading" in the water could easily be putting themselves in danger. Perhaps it would be reasonable for them to add this sort of verbiage to the signs? I don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
I'm all for roasting folks who walk heedlessly into danger because they blatantly ignore warnings (as my posts in the thread about the recent Yellowstone hot spring death show). But I think this probably represents a tragic death due to genuine ignorance of a risk, not "I'm a special snowflake and the rules don't apply to ME!" behavior.
And this, to me, is where it will really be interesting- how much of Disney's "suspension of disbelief" culture played into this?

Disney has built its brand on fantasy and fairy tales. To put a "Beware of alligators" sign out goes against this. Could it be that they were trying to protect the "fantasy" by not giving real warnings about the danger? Did they have the obligation to their invitees to give a more specific warning? I think it will be interesting to see how these questions are answered.

Again, from life experience, I know that alligators will come to just about any water source that is bigger than a rain puddle. I know this because of time that I've spent on the Gulf Coast. Would the average, "reasonable" person be expected to know of this danger though? Would the average person be expected to know that an obviously man-made lagoon can be a haven for alligators? Or, would the average person be expected to interpret a "no swimming" sign to mean, plainly, stay the heck out of the water?

This will keep the lawyers and other experts busy for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or