U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2016, 02:38 PM

12,138 posts, read 8,117,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post

I'm pretty certain this particular father would not have put his child in harm's way. Willfully ignoring a clearly descriptive sign is one thing. Not explicitly stating that there are alligators in the water or that there's a risk of possibly fatal alligator attack is another. From a liability standpoint alone, Disney effed up, nevermind the human, emotional standpoint.

"Warning - alligators in the area" goes a long way and perhaps this child would have been alive.

The parents weren't stupid. Saying "F the alligators" and jumping into alligator infested waters (with signage) is stupid. And unless we've walked in these parents shoes and endured such a private hell, then it really should behoove us to be a bit more sensitive.

Your assuming that the father did or would read the sign. Let's say he did read the sign the word area could mean half a mile from where they are. When you go camping do you need a sign that says bears in the area? Or the beach? Telling that the ocean is FULL of animals that can kill you. My bet is dad was on his cell phone like most people are. If that's the case is the makers of the cell phone responsible?

It's not being in sensitive at all.

I feel bad for the family one should use common sense when being out in where wild animals are? What happened to personal responsibility? Do we get rid all of the wild animals because people are not using common sense these days? Mom & dad BOTH should of known the risk before they went out there. We can still mourn for the family & their loss but it comes down to personal responsibility.

Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 02:48 PM

6,312 posts, read 3,490,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I feel bad for the family one should use common sense when being out in where wild animals are?
The problem, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, is that people just don't think of the Disney parks as a place where they may potentially encounter wild animals and need to exercise caution, even though they should (as Disney can't completely seal the parks off from the outside world). And Disney encourages that attitude! In this case, though, it backfired badly.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:50 PM

455 posts, read 313,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
This is a tragic mistake on the parents part that they will live with the rest of their lives. I can't imagine what they are going through. People fail to realize the happiest place on earth still is at the mercy of mother nature.
Well it's kind of the whole purpose of the place, isn't it? To forget about the practicalities of everyday life and get "away from it all"? That's how it's marketed and they've made zillions off of that image.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:50 PM

10,094 posts, read 9,328,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
Why would you bother to respond to me without even fully reading what I posted. Contrary to what your ASSUMING about alligator attacks, the link I posted and many other studies have clearly illustrated Alligators are exponentially less successful attacking out of the water then in it. Btw a Crocodile is a whole different beast then an Alligator. The fact that your comparing the two tells me that you haven't really researched either one too well.

If this had been a crocodile attack that happened in crocodile infested water that had no signs indicating such I would have a totally different opinion. In that case, even if the parents were walking 10 feet from the water, armed with hand guns and holding the child's hand; that attack still would have been unavoidable. This attack is a completely different story and normal parenting behavior would have prevented it.

So you consider not letting a 2 year old go into water alone that clearly is marked as "no swimming," in the middle of the night and without the parent being in the water with the child "helicopter parenting?" Seriously???
If I had the inclination to post links from google, I would. But of course I know that a crocodile is a "different beast" than an alligator. But they are in the same family (hence they are called crocodilians) and both employ the same ambush tactics when it comes to securing prey. If an alligator is in the water and the child was on the beach, it could easily rush out of the water, snatch the child from the beach right out of the parent's hand. It does that to dogs all of the time and has killed children in the past using that same "burst out of the water" technique. So the child could simply be sitting near the water line or walking along the water line and get taken. I will give you this - it takes less effort to simply pull the kid underwater than making that burst of energy to snatch from the beach so I guess they should not have been even NEAR the water, right? The point is that there was no clear warning afforded to the parents that their child would be subject to an alligator attack. It's been explained ad nauseum why people may not be aware of alligator risk inside of the park. Disney made no attempt to discourage people from being near the shoreline and for some time allowed people to swim in the lagoon.

And no one knew that the lagoon was alligator infested. There were no such signs that specifically stated that alligators were present. Playing and/or wading in 1 ft of water does not mean swimming. Swimming means to immerse yourself in the water, not walk along the shoreline or play on the shoreline.

And Parent of the Year, just be glad that it's not your child.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:53 PM

11,090 posts, read 6,596,198 times
Quote:
When you go camping do you need a sign that says bears in the area? Or the beach? Telling that the ocean is FULL of animals that can kill you. My bet is dad was on his cell phone like most people are. If that's the case is the makers of the cell phone responsible?
But when you go camping or go to the beach you associate those things with bears, sharks, and other wildlife. When I go to Disney, wild animals are the furthest thing from my mind (besides those at Animal Kingdom). Its just not something people think about when they are at a theme park, even if it is in Florida. If my family hadn't been warned of an alligator during a previous Disney trip, I would never have thought there would be alligators there. I doubt the vast majority of those staying at Disney have ever been warned of alligators. I've stayed at 6 different Disney resorts, and only the one time at that one resort were we ever warned of the dangers of alligators. It just seems like something Disney should be doing considering how many people travel from around the world to visit Disney. If they were visiting the Everglades, I'm sure they would have been extra cautious, but at Disney?

Old 06-15-2016, 02:56 PM

11,090 posts, read 6,596,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
You'd think if the mods decided to merge the two threads they'd change the original thread title from the very specific "Florida Alligator Spotted With Dead Body In Its Mouth" to something more general like "Recent Florida Alligator Incidents" to avoid confusion.

I was just thinking that as well when I clicked on the thread. The boy's body has not been found, and probably won't be. So it makes no sense to have the thread title be about a body found in an alligator's mouth.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:57 PM

11,901 posts, read 9,633,547 times
They found the little boy's body intact in the water near the attack site. They have recovered him. They believe the COD was drowning.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Your assuming that the father did or would read the sign. Let's say he did read the sign the word area could mean half a mile from where they are. When you go camping do you need a sign that says bears in the area? Or the beach? Telling that the ocean is FULL of animals that can kill you. My bet is dad was on his cell phone like most people are. If that's the case is the makers of the cell phone responsible?

It's not being in sensitive at all.

I feel bad for the family one should use common sense when being out in where wild animals are? What happened to personal responsibility? Do we get rid all of the wild animals because people are not using common sense these days? Mom & dad BOTH should of known the risk before they went out there. We can still mourn for the family & their loss but it comes down to personal responsibility.

Period.
And you're assuming that he was on his cell phone.

When you go camping in known bear infested areas yes they do have pretty explicit signage. it's called CYA Rule 101. Whether he would actually read the sign or not is not the issue. The issue is that the sign wasn't present period. "No swimming" isn't sufficient. Here in Texas, in places that alligators are known to frequent, signs everywhere tell people to stay on the trails and to avoid swimming in certain areas because of alligators. Australia has signs with crocodile heads that basically state swim at your own risk.

you always give the person the option to throw caution to the wind. While I am not that father, it is highly likely that if he knew there were alligators in the water, he probably would not have had his child playing in very shallow water.

Old 06-15-2016, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
They found the little boy's body intact in the water near the attack site. They have recovered him. They believed the COD was drowning.
Thanks for the update. I've been watching this case. So tragic. I'm glad that they recovered his body intact. Just so so sad. I vacation often at Disney and my heart really goes out to the family.

Old 06-15-2016, 03:03 PM

11,901 posts, read 9,633,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Thanks for the update. I've been watching this case. So tragic. I'm glad that they recovered his body intact. Just so so sad. I vacation often at Disney and my heart really goes out to the family.
Agreed. Here's a link for the update: Body of 2-Year-Old Dragged Into Water by Alligator Near Disney Found: Sheriff - NBC News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or