U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-15-2016, 08:34 PM
 
23,916 posts, read 31,144,740 times
Reputation: 28539

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Please do tell us how often humans are out there in the wild holding the gator's food, fighting him for it. Tell us, is that on every pond apple tree, every 10 meters, how many humans are out there in the wild trying to yank the gator's food away from him?
I posted that to simply illustrate that alligators definitely DO exhibit this behavior.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ9Pasauac4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4gW-VMdMvE


Not sure what your point is here, are you trying to imply that they don't do this?? Have you ever actually seen a gator in the wild?

I have no idea what the heck an apple pond tree has to do with anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-15-2016, 08:35 PM
 
11,898 posts, read 9,620,628 times
Reputation: 16274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Please do tell us how often humans are out there in the wild holding the gator's food, fighting him for it. Tell us, is that on every pond apple tree, every 10 meters, how many humans are out there in the wild trying to yank the gator's food away from him?
So the crocodile conservationist who works with alligators and crocodiles at his zoo (google his name, Shaun Foggett) in the video featured on BBC Earth Unplugged doesn't know what he's talking about when he calls it "natural" behavior that they simulate to show visitors what alligators are really like? All of the articles I've read on this recent attack, including this one, are also wrong?

"Alligators and crocodiles have jaws strong enough to crack a turtle shell, according to the National Zoo, and prey on fish, snails, birds, frogs and “mammals that come to the water’s edge.” Their vise-like grip is nearly impossible to escape because the animals perform a spinning move, called the “death roll,” to drown and subdue their prey."

Have YOU seen every alligator attack in the wild to know for sure? Sure, in the video the guys were holding the prey, but do you think alligators' prey in the wild go down without a fight? I'm sure there is often a struggle when something is being dragged and killed, especially if it's being dragged from land into the water, so I don't exactly buy people's claims that the alligator didn't eat the kid because the dad struggled with it. What wouldn't struggle when something is biting it, dragging it, and attempting to kill and eat it? I'm sure alligators are used to their prey struggling as they attempt to kill and eat them, at least for however long they remain able to. Nothing is just going to lay there and take it, like, okay this is the end now, I guess this alligator got me, I'll just not struggle and let it win. No, they're going to fight for their lives. It's instinct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2016, 08:36 PM
 
6,307 posts, read 7,133,271 times
Reputation: 8048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Fighting a python is also NOT normal as python are not indigenous to the Everglades.
They might not be indigenous, but there sure are a heck of a lot of them in the Everglades (and elsewhere in Florida).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2016, 08:39 PM
Status: "Even better than okay" (set 10 days ago)
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
51,245 posts, read 50,519,955 times
Reputation: 60115
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
That is good that they will do that (remove them from your place), but to me they should do this THROUGHOUT FLORIDA as a whole. I'm someone who loves swimming, loves swimming in lakes, loves the idea of being able to swim during the winter months somewhat--it would only be natural that I'd want to move to FL so I could do that. Why should I have to surrender that to alligators? Why not release them into the Everglades (which doesn't look like a place anyone would hanker to swim) and let people be free to adventure and enjoy the outdoors without harassment?

Everyplace is different, but in TX we have wild feral hogs, and if they tear up your land you just shoot them and move on with your life. We haven't had much problems like that with alligators, but if one shows up at my place causing problems, I'm taking it out. I'd do the same with woodpeckers too if they started showing up (they haven't), I'll start caring about their plight the day their name is on the title to my house and they're making the payments. I don't see that happening, so I don't much care what's good for them. (Then again, if there was a way shown to me where you could catch them and release them elsewhere AND that method wasn't either more expensive or more of a hassle, I'd be OK with it.)

I don't much have sympathy for that "it's their home" or "they were here first"--to heck with that. I'm a human being, compared to them I matter and they don't matter a wit. I say it's time to start hunting again, or relocating en masse.
And you think they will all just STAY in the Everglades once you put them there, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2016, 08:39 PM
 
6,121 posts, read 3,320,648 times
Reputation: 13007
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Your assuming that the father did or would read the sign. Let's say he did read the sign the word area could mean half a mile from where they are. When you go camping do you need a sign that says bears in the area? Or the beach? Telling that the ocean is FULL of animals that can kill you. My bet is dad was on his cell phone like most people are. If that's the case is the makers of the cell phone responsible?


It's not being in sensitive at all.


I feel bad for the family one should use common sense when being out in where wild animals are? What happened to personal responsibility? Do we get rid all of the wild animals because people are not using common sense these days? Mom & dad BOTH should of known the risk before they went out there. We can still mourn for the family & their loss but it comes down to personal responsibility.


Period.
Why would a family from Nebraska, or anywhere else for that matter, believe that going into the contrived, controlled atmosphere of Disney World would endanger their family this way and that the wildlife control staff, given carte blanche by the Florida Wildlife Commission, would have failed so badly in protecting that family? Why would they believe that alligator warning signs common on both public and private land throughout the state would not be used simply because they might hurt the corporation's revenues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2016, 08:42 PM
 
Location: Out West
20,632 posts, read 15,431,629 times
Reputation: 24176
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I posted that to simply illustrate that alligators definitely DO exhibit this behavior.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ9Pasauac4


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4gW-VMdMvE


Not sure what your point is here, are you trying to imply that they don't do this?? Have you ever actually seen a gator in the wild?

I have no idea what the heck an apple pond tree has to do with anything.
I lived and worked in the Everglades. I'm trying to educate people, as I did then, because people think that all gators do all kinds of things that they don't do. I'm not sure what YOUR point is in trying to assume that you have a clue....did you live and work there? If not, Youtube videos of people holding food proves nothing.

If your attempting to dismiss everything I said, then by all means, you tell everyone it's okay to go swim in the waters of Florida, NO WORRIES! It's FINE because Chessie'sMom knows more about gators via sensationalized shows and YouTube videos...which clearly trumps actual experience living and working with gators in the Everglades.

And then we have threads where people ask why the signs, the millions of signs that are needed for human stupidity didn't say "Why" precisely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2016, 08:42 PM
 
11,037 posts, read 6,574,567 times
Reputation: 19982
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
If they left their 2 year old baby in the tub and he drowned...
Except that is not even close to what actually happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2016, 08:46 PM
 
Location: Out West
20,632 posts, read 15,431,629 times
Reputation: 24176
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
So the crocodile conservationist who works with alligators and crocodiles at his zoo (google his name, Shaun Foggett) in the video featured on BBC Earth Unplugged doesn't know what he's talking about when he calls it "natural" behavior that they simulate to show visitors what alligators are really like? All of the articles I've read on this recent attack, including this one, are also wrong?

"Alligators and crocodiles have jaws strong enough to crack a turtle shell, according to the National Zoo, and prey on fish, snails, birds, frogs and “mammals that come to the water’s edge.” Their vise-like grip is nearly impossible to escape because the animals perform a spinning move, called the “death roll,” to drown and subdue their prey."

Have YOU seen every alligator attack in the wild to know for sure? Sure, in the video the guys were holding the prey, but do you think alligators' prey in the wild go down without a fight? I'm sure there is often a struggle when something is being dragged and killed, especially if it's being dragged from land into the water, so I don't exactly buy people's claims that the alligator didn't eat the kid because the dad struggled with it. What wouldn't struggle when something is biting it, dragging it, and attempting to kill and eat it? I'm sure alligators are used to their prey struggling as they attempt to kill and eat them, at least for however long they remain able to. Nothing is just going to lay there and take it, like, okay this is the end now, I guess this alligator got me, I'll just not struggle and let it win. No, they're going to fight for their lives. It's instinct.
AGAIN, I lived IN the Everglades. I worked IN the Everglades. I worked with alligators, around alligators, all day long. I'm going by real world experience IN the wild, not some set up shot for a sensationalized video or show.

Yes, many animals "just lay there and take it" because the initial bite is so hard, they can't do squat. But, again, we have alligator experts from new Jersey as well.

Crocodiles will do the death roll, alligators? Not so much. But by all means, please, take YOUR real life experience and educate everyone on just what it is that gators do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2016, 08:51 PM
 
11,898 posts, read 9,620,628 times
Reputation: 16274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I lived and worked in the Everglades. I'm trying to educate people, as I did then, because people think that all gators do all kinds of things that they don't do. I'm not sure what YOUR point is in trying to assume that you have a clue....did you live and work there? If not, Youtube videos of people holding food proves nothing.

If your attempting to dismiss everything I said, then by all means, you tell everyone it's okay to go swim in the waters of Florida, NO WORRIES! It's FINE because Chessie'sMom knows more about gators via sensationalized shows and YouTube videos...which clearly trumps actual experience living and working with gators in the Everglades.

And then we have threads where people ask why the signs, the millions of signs that are needed for human stupidity didn't say "Why" precisely.
Nobody is saying this at all. In fact, people are saying the opposite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2016, 09:01 PM
 
Location: Rutherfordton,NC
12,131 posts, read 8,106,619 times
Reputation: 8609
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Why would a family from Nebraska, or anywhere else for that matter, believe that going into the contrived, controlled atmosphere of Disney World would endanger their family this way and that the wildlife control staff, given carte blanche by the Florida Wildlife Commission, would have failed so badly in protecting that family? Why would they believe that alligator warning signs common on both public and private land throughout the state would not be used simply because they might hurt the corporation's revenues?


Why wouldn't a zoo have better system of making sure that a child can't get down to the animals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top