U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-15-2016, 09:09 PM
 
12,385 posts, read 7,435,098 times
Reputation: 23217

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Why wouldn't a zoo have better system of making sure that a child can't get down to the animals?
This didn't happen at a zoo and has nothing to do with what happened at the Cincinnati Zoo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-15-2016, 09:10 PM
 
12,487 posts, read 10,392,375 times
Reputation: 17263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
AGAIN, I lived IN the Everglades. I worked IN the Everglades. I worked with alligators, around alligators, all day long. I'm going by real world experience IN the wild, not some set up shot for a sensationalized video or show.

Yes, many animals "just lay there and take it" because the initial bite is so hard, they can't do squat. But, again, we have alligator experts from new Jersey as well.

Crocodiles will do the death roll, alligators? Not so much. But by all means, please, take YOUR real life experience and educate everyone on just what it is that gators do.
You're getting ridiculously defensive. The "death roll" is a pretty well documented phenomenon that experts discuss. I'd heard of it before, yes more in terms of crocodiles, but that's because I grew up watching Steve Irwin - who didn't watch the Crocodile Hunter? But alligators do it, too. Just because YOU never saw it in your apparent work in the Everglades doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

I guess these scientists from a biology journal are also wrong? Death roll of the alligator: mechanics of twist feeding in water | Journal of Experimental Biology And a news article about the journal article with some basic explanations, and examples of other animals that use a similar maneuver (actually quite interesting). https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0326132754.htm

This true story out of FL last year? Alligator tears off arm of swimmer in a death roll | The Times

These videos are made up?


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ9Pasauac4

Talks about use of death roll for larger prey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iITNZc_aYjc

I'm not going to listen to a random CD poster - or be belittled by him - with supposed Everglades experience when I can listen to experts who publish in journals and interview with major news networks, and when I can watch videos of it happening in the wild or not with my own eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2016, 09:16 PM
 
1,869 posts, read 2,929,301 times
Reputation: 1539

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaWFlvOWAqQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2016, 09:17 PM
 
1,869 posts, read 2,929,301 times
Reputation: 1539

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU7DNet918k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2016, 09:19 PM
 
1,869 posts, read 2,929,301 times
Reputation: 1539

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfC4u5GCy3I
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2016, 09:21 PM
 
25,771 posts, read 32,753,994 times
Reputation: 31638
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
parents negligence killed the kid...

wild animals will be wild animals, what does a manhunt search to hunt down and kill an animal accomplish?

I think you deserve the eyeroll... someone must pay for the parents mistake right?
The alligator killed the child. You know that. And the eyeroll () is most assuredly for you. Generally, ANY animal that kills a human, will be put down. I don't see the problem with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2016, 09:28 PM
 
25,771 posts, read 32,753,994 times
Reputation: 31638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I lived and worked in the Everglades. I'm trying to educate people, as I did then, because people think that all gators do all kinds of things that they don't do. I'm not sure what YOUR point is in trying to assume that you have a clue....did you live and work there? If not, Youtube videos of people holding food proves nothing.

If your attempting to dismiss everything I said, then by all means, you tell everyone it's okay to go swim in the waters of Florida, NO WORRIES! It's FINE because Chessie'sMom knows more about gators via sensationalized shows and YouTube videos...which clearly trumps actual experience living and working with gators in the Everglades.

And then we have threads where people ask why the signs, the millions of signs that are needed for human stupidity didn't say "Why" precisely.
Lived in south FL for many years and have been to the Everglades as well, several times. I don't need educating on the critters, I assure you. Not sure why you think I am attempting to dismiss everything you said? Certainly I am not advocating swimming in the waters - quite the contrary. The behavior is well documented - really not sure why you would even bother to dispute.

The really stupid thing is that Disney chose to not advertise, by way of "No swimming - ALLIGATORS" signs around their lagoons. Now, I love Disney. Been there many many times. And I damn sure would never go in or near those lagoons, but I know a helluva lot more about the dangers than a family from out of state. I expect there will be a lawsuit, no idea how it will turn out though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2016, 09:32 PM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
10,707 posts, read 10,096,484 times
Reputation: 14161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I lived and worked in the Everglades. I'm trying to educate people, as I did then, because people think that all gators do all kinds of things that they don't do. I'm not sure what YOUR point is in trying to assume that you have a clue....did you live and work there? If not, Youtube videos of people holding food proves nothing.

If your attempting to dismiss everything I said, then by all means, you tell everyone it's okay to go swim in the waters of Florida, NO WORRIES! It's FINE because Chessie'sMom knows more about gators via sensationalized shows and YouTube videos...which clearly trumps actual experience living and working with gators in the Everglades.

And then we have threads where people ask why the signs, the millions of signs that are needed for human stupidity didn't say "Why" precisely.
The signs are needed not because people are stupid, but because people may be unaware. EVERY person I've spoken to today about this incident had no idea that alligators were present inside of the Disney park. These people aren't "stupid" either. Again, it's called CYA 101 so that you don't get your butt sued. "NO SWIMMING - Alligators in area."

You have specific signage because to some, putting your feet in the water isn't swimming. No swimming can mean foul water (which is accurate there). What I stated above really drives the message home that it wouldn't be safe to be anywhere in or near the water.

I've frequently seen parents walking hand in hand together down the beach while Johnny runs around in the water. I've seen parents sitting on the beach watching their kids frolick on the shoreline. This isn't a real beach, but from what I've seen in person and in picture about the lagoon area, it's an open shoreline that doesn't do anything to really discourage such innocent actions as playing in ankle deep water. I bet you, if this body of water were in the Everglades, people would definitely be far more cautious and wouldn't even wade. But it's different in Disney, where "suspension of reality" isn't unheard of. The fact that so many people didn't realize that Disney had alligator issues shows that an ounce of education and visual presentation could prevent similar future tragedies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2016, 09:46 PM
 
25,771 posts, read 32,753,994 times
Reputation: 31638
And honestly, if you have spent much time at Disney, alligators are easily spotted from hotel rooms looking down on the lakes. It's well known that they are there, for people that are familiar with the area. But folks from out of town have no way of knowing this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2016, 09:55 PM
 
25,771 posts, read 32,753,994 times
Reputation: 31638
Couldn't resist.
Attached Thumbnails
Florida Alligator Spotted With Dead Body In It's Mouth-gorilla_gator.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top