U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2016, 01:44 AM

14,271 posts, read 15,265,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
And what's considered nearby? A foot away? He was close enough to be able to try and wrestle the alligator, so he couldn't have been too far.
You're missing my point, but this is such a terrible story that I won't continue arguing about it. There are signs in other areas that warn about alligators, so Disney could have taken the extra step, but I'm not sure that would have prevented this horrific event. Maybe I lived in FL for so long that being aware of them just became instinctive, but I've watched families taking photos of their young children standing near gators and feeding them, so nothing surprises me. I feel very badly for this family who were only trying to enjoy their vacation. The parents will be haunted and riddled with guilt and grief for the rest of their lives.

By the way, just because City-Data posters say they weren't aware of any gators when they were in Florida, it doesn't mean they aren't everywhere, including Disney World.

[URL="http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-disney-alligator-history-20160615-story.html"]Alligators a frequent sight at Disney World[/URL]

"Alligators have been commonly sighted at Walt Disney World, prompting both fascination and fear in surprised tourists."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 02:19 AM

4,846 posts, read 2,226,903 times
I just wonder what part of this sign that is posted around the beaches of Disney World do people not understand?

http://www.safetysign.com/images/cat...arge/F7720.png

The Darwin Award goes too...

Old 06-16-2016, 04:48 AM

20,715 posts, read 15,483,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
You're getting ridiculously defensive. The "death roll" is a pretty well documented phenomenon that experts discuss. I'd heard of it before, yes more in terms of crocodiles, but that's because I grew up watching Steve Irwin - who didn't watch the Crocodile Hunter? But alligators do it, too. Just because YOU never saw it in your apparent work in the Everglades doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

I guess these scientists from a biology journal are also wrong? Death roll of the alligator: mechanics of twist feeding in water | Journal of Experimental Biology And a news article about the journal article with some basic explanations, and examples of other animals that use a similar maneuver (actually quite interesting). https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0326132754.htm

This true story out of FL last year? Alligator tears off arm of swimmer in a death roll | The Times

These videos are made up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ9Pasauac4

Talks about use of death roll for larger prey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iITNZc_aYjc

I'm not going to listen to a random CD poster - or be belittled by him - with supposed Everglades experience when I can listen to experts who publish in journals and interview with major news networks, and when I can watch videos of it happening in the wild or not with my own eyes.
The fact that I have to explain "reality television" to you is ridiculous. Well, it's on a YouTube video, so it must be completely and totally natural!

I lived there, I worked there. You can throw all the stupid videos out that you want, all night long, the fact is, you sitting there in Jersey with NO experience, gators do what was illustrated in the video with the turtle and the fish. THAT is normal. You're arguing the stupidest thing, and why you're arguing it I cannot comprehend, but the fact that you think video is 100% reality is astounding. Absolutely astounding.

Again, gator expert, throw some more out there, show the world your gator knowledge from Youtube videos. Very impressive.

Meanwhile, "gator experts" who have zero experience with them go on ignore. No different than the ignorant tourist who thinks he knows better than the person who lives out there. They don't want to listen, they get hurt...because, you know, they saw this video one time....

Guess what else is "highly documented"? That you should run "zig zag" away from a gator. Since you know all there is to know about gators, you just go ahead and trust that's what you're supposed to do. Do that when you encounter a gator. When you get out of the hospital, if you're lucky, after getting attacked, tell me why that worked so well, and then I'll tell you the reality.

You literally are repeating what many tourists say. "But I saw this video..." LITERALLY. It's aggravating when people think they know everything who have zero experience with it. I don't care if someone's stupidity gets them bitten or hurt...I care that the gator is going to die because humans are stupid. THAT is why I'm "defensive" because humans are stupid, and the animal pays for it.

Old 06-16-2016, 05:05 AM

3,279 posts, read 3,768,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
{snip} You literally are repeating what many tourists say. "But I saw this video..." LITERALLY. It's aggravating when people think they know everything who have zero experience with it. I don't care if someone's stupidity gets them bitten or hurt...I care that the gator is going to die because humans are stupid. THAT is why I'm "defensive" because humans are stupid, and the animal pays for it.
To me, none of these specifics matter. What matters to me is this--a child waded in water IN DISNEYLAND, and an animal killed it. The parents weren't negligent, they were right there. Things happen. Anyone that says "I'd never leave my child alone for a second" is a LIAR. There is NO WAY a parent can watch their child 24/7, and even if you could you'd ruin them over the long term--and besides I sure wouldn't expect an alligator to show up IN DISNEYLAND.

Frankly, I could give a rip less about that stupid alligator's feelings, or the feelings of the tree huggers of the world who get all teary-eyed over a stupid reptile. Not only should that particular alligator be shot, I think they should shoot ALL OF THEM in Florida that are inhabiting the lakes and such that people could otherwise be swimming in, or at the least move them to a refuge where they can live but not bother anybody. It's not our fault that alligators can't match our firepower if we really step up and do what we have to do, hunt the darned things until their numbers are 2% of what they are now, and we have every right to protect ourselves. Why SHOULDN'T we kill the darned things if they're doing things like this? I would kill a poisonous snake IN A MINUTE on my property if I found one, to me an alligator is no different. I'd shoot a large dog in a minute JUST FOR BEING ON MY PROPERTY if I felt it was as danger to my kids and the owner, if he/she was around, wasn't doing what they could to keep their animal off of my property. That dog has NO RIGHTS over here and they're not welcome here.

We're not obligated to hole ourselves up in our homes and let alligators or pythons or spotted owls or whatever just own the whole planet. We humans have an adventurous spirit and we like getting out and enjoying the outdoors, and we have every moral right to protect ourselves by any means necessary vs "letting nature be nature" and that leading to things like this happening at which point we shrug our shoulders and say something stupid like "well we were in THEIR territory." No, the ENTIRE PLANET IS OURS to do with what the heck we please, there are wildlife refuges for the animals, and any animals that threaten us where we go to enjoy ourselves--SCREW THEM. They can be relocated to a refuge, develop the sense to leave us alone, or they can be taken out like the vermin they are.

Old 06-16-2016, 05:15 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,323,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
To me, none of these specifics matter. What matters to me is this--a child waded in water IN DISNEYLAND, and an animal killed it. The parents weren't negligent, they were right there. Things happen. Anyone that says "I'd never leave my child alone for a second" is a LIAR. There is NO WAY a parent can watch their child 24/7, and even if you could you'd ruin them over the long term--and besides I sure wouldn't expect an alligator to show up IN DISNEYLAND.

Frankly, I could give a rip less about that stupid alligator's feelings, or the feelings of the tree huggers of the world who get all teary-eyed over a stupid reptile. Not only should that particular alligator be shot, I think they should shoot ALL OF THEM in Florida that are inhabiting the lakes and such that people could otherwise be swimming in, or at the least move them to a refuge where they can live but not bother anybody. It's not our fault that alligators can't match our firepower if we really step up and do what we have to do, hunt the darned things until their numbers are 2% of what they are now, and we have every right to protect ourselves. Why SHOULDN'T we kill the darned things if they're doing things like this? I would kill a poisonous snake IN A MINUTE on my property if I found one, to me an alligator is no different. I'd shoot a large dog in a minute JUST FOR BEING ON MY PROPERTY if I felt it was as danger to my kids and the owner, if he/she was around, wasn't doing what they could to keep their animal off of my property. That dog has NO RIGHTS over here and they're not welcome here.

We're not obligated to hole ourselves up in our homes and let alligators or pythons or spotted owls or whatever just own the whole planet. We humans have an adventurous spirit and we like getting out and enjoying the outdoors, and we have every moral right to protect ourselves by any means necessary vs "letting nature be nature" and that leading to things like this happening at which point we shrug our shoulders and say something stupid like "well we were in THEIR territory." No, the ENTIRE PLANET IS OURS to do with what the heck we please, there are wildlife refuges for the animals, and any animals that threaten us where we go to enjoy ourselves--SCREW THEM. They can be relocated to a refuge, develop the sense to leave us alone, or they can be taken out like the vermin they are.
Well, two years old, up in the middle of the night, wading into strange water without even holding dad's hand? I would never ever bring a 2 year old to Disney, nor would I keep him up at 1 am, nor will I allow him to wade through water at that time and at that place. It's the parents fault. So sad that the kid and alligators had to pay for their stupidity.

Old 06-16-2016, 05:18 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,323,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post

Angry much? First hatred for animals, then hatred for certain people.....get help before you find yourself in the headlines.

Old 06-16-2016, 06:21 AM

2,039 posts, read 2,784,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Well, two years old, up in the middle of the night, wading into strange water without even holding dad's hand? I would never ever bring a 2 year old to Disney, nor would I keep him up at 1 am, nor will I allow him to wade through water at that time and at that place. It's the parents fault. So sad that the kid and alligators had to pay for their stupidity.
It wasn't in the middle of the night. It was movie night that was held at the shoreline of said lagoon at 9 pm. Summer in FL at 9pm is not in the middle of the night. The incident was reported at around 9.16pm.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:31 AM

29,977 posts, read 34,607,289 times
Now every ocean beach resort will have to put up signs warning against sharks.

Seems like common sense bad critters live in the water in that part of the world.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:42 AM

12,196 posts, read 8,131,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Apples and porcupines.

Not it's not. You take your child out & your not watching them because of whatever reason & this something terrible like this happens. Sign or no sign people are not being aware of where their kids are doing. As I said when people tend to go outdoors they tend to drop their guard with their kids not understand that there are things outside that can kill them or someone else. You see a stranger walking any where near your kids you tend to go on full alert, not so much when an animal is near by.

Look at the last few months people being gored by Bison, the zoo & now this. Do we need to start having people apply for a license before going outside? Perhaps taking a test as well? Because the last couple of months has proved that people are not to bright when it comes to being any where near wildlife.

Same with this case the child should of been in bed OR in the hotel room, it was dark outside Disney or not Florida is filled with snakes. A child that young has no business being close to the water after dark man-made lake or not.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:48 AM

2,039 posts, read 2,784,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Not it's not. You take your child out & your not watching them because of whatever reason & this something terrible like this happens. Sign or no sign people are not being aware of where their kids are doing. As I said when people tend to go outdoors they tend to drop their guard with their kids not understand that there are things outside that can kill them or someone else. You see a stranger walking any where near your kids you tend to go on full alert, not so much when an animal is near by.

Look at the last few months people being gored by Bison, the zoo & now this. Do we need to start having people apply for a license before going outside? Perhaps taking a test as well? Because the last couple of months has proved that people are not to bright when it comes to being any where near wildlife.

Same with this case the child should of been in bed OR in the hotel room, it was dark outside Disney or not Florida is filled with snakes. A child that young has no business being close to the water after dark man-made lake or not.
Again, it was an outdoor movie night held at the shoreline of the lagoon, and given that it's Disney, I bet the movie chosen was kid friendly, so of course parents with kids - who were on VACATION - would have been out with their kids enjoying the outdoor movie experience. In case someone again comes here with the "middle of the night" comment, it was held at 9pm so it wasn't that late a night for someone who's on vacation, even kids.

Sheesh! Don't people read the facts anymore before climbing on their high horse to dispense judgement?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or