U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-16-2016, 07:49 AM
 
6,822 posts, read 5,149,238 times
Reputation: 3729

Advertisements

I want to protest for the Alligator!


The body wasn't cooked and served on a platter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-16-2016, 07:54 AM
 
Location: Rutherfordton,NC
14,310 posts, read 9,064,637 times
Reputation: 9642
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
You say someone else's post is pure assumption..and then you make a pure assumption.


IN this day & age how can you NOT know this??? One of the names for the football teams down there is the Florida GATORS!!!!! Not the Florida Bison's!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2016, 07:54 AM
 
2,984 posts, read 1,215,160 times
Reputation: 1921
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
It wasn't in the middle of the night. It was movie night that was held at the shoreline of said lagoon at 9 pm. Summer in FL at 9pm is not in the middle of the night. The incident was reported at around 9.16pm.
Exactly. They show kid friendly movies there on the beach at 9:00. It is a very exciting and fun thing for the kids. Unfortunately a freak and tragic event happened that has never occurred before in 40 years at these hotels. I have been there and maybe it is a wrong assumption but I would have never been worried that an alligator would come. My grandkids have been playing next to the lagoon late at night and I am like a mother hen (even though I am a man).

The grief and empathy I feel for the parents is intense. I do not feel any condemnation like a lot of the perfect parents here seem to.

Last edited by Eeyore1954; 06-16-2016 at 08:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2016, 08:09 AM
 
12,646 posts, read 10,492,420 times
Reputation: 17477
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
If they won't, then I say kill them or put them in a wildlife preserve where they CAN'T get out.

To me, humans have the RIGHT to swim in any body of water in any place they darned well feel like, that's our prerogative as humans, and any animal that threatens that should be dealt with. It's ridiculous to me that a state with warm weather and numerous lakes perfectly great for swimming otherwise that its lakes should be off-limits because we're scared to take care of business. I say we should take care of business. Certainly if it's to the point that even swimming in DISNEYLAND is now a problem, it should be obvious that they need to be dealt with.
Killing alligators just so we could swim in some lakes would damage the ecosystem. With your logic we'd really need to make sure we kill them ALL to ensure they can't and don't reproduce and migrate again to other areas. They have every right to be here as we do, maybe even more. WE humans have encroached on THEIR territory with overdevelopment and putting man-made lakes into areas in the first place. It's ridiculous to say we should kill and and all alligators just because we have an apparent "right" to swim wherever we please as humans.

Guess what warm Florida lakes also have? Brain eating amoebas. Should we kill all those too? You sure you want to swim in any Florida lake?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2016, 08:17 AM
 
6,822 posts, read 5,149,238 times
Reputation: 3729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
For a corporation that usually does such a good job of dotting their Is and crossing their Ts when it comes to covering potential liability, I do think Disney is culpable here.

Wading isn't swimming (and that lagoon does not look inviting in the least, the water is murky and sometimes has an oil sheen on the surface). When you build a beach right up the the water's edge and open it to guests to enjoy, it is reasonable to expect people will approach the water, especially young kids who love to splash.

We stayed at the Grand Floridian a couple of times with our boys. While we never went onto the beach, we did rent those little boats and spent time on the lagoon. The possibility of alligators never entered our minds, and that's despite being FL residents.
Do you know what I find baffling? In Pennsylvania here we have deer crossing signs.

Now this is a freaking deer, and I'm in around forest area. Of COURSE there are deer.

In this case we're talking about an ALLIGATOR!

I think a couple signs saying ALLIGATORS HERE DO NOT ENTER WATER or something equivalent would be worth a couple tax payer dollars.

I'm not a huge fan of our sue everyone society but whatever floats the boat I guess.

I could not even imagine how crushed I'd be if I had a child in which this happened to. I'd feel guilt beyond compare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2016, 08:25 AM
 
Location: Type 0.7 Kardashev
10,577 posts, read 7,272,570 times
Reputation: 37474
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Frankly, I could give a rip less about that stupid alligator's feelings, or the feelings of the tree huggers of the world who get all teary-eyed over a stupid reptile. Not only should that particular alligator be shot, I think they should shoot ALL OF THEM in Florida that are inhabiting the lakes and such that people could otherwise be swimming in, or at the least move them to a refuge where they can live but not bother anybody. It's not our fault that alligators can't match our firepower if we really step up and do what we have to do, hunt the darned things until their numbers are 2% of what they are now, and we have every right to protect ourselves. Why SHOULDN'T we kill the darned things if they're doing things like this? I would kill a poisonous snake IN A MINUTE on my property if I found one, to me an alligator is no different. I'd shoot a large dog in a minute JUST FOR BEING ON MY PROPERTY if I felt it was as danger to my kids and the owner, if he/she was around, wasn't doing what they could to keep their animal off of my property. That dog has NO RIGHTS over here and they're not welcome here.
1) Why on Earth are you babbling about an "alligator's feelings"? No one else is.

2) You think 1.3 million alligators in Florida should be eliminated (pretending for a minute that such a monumental task could even be accomplished - there are pythons and tilapia loose in the wild in Florida because there's essentially no way to eliminate them, and they're far less widely-distributed than alligators) because about once/year someone gets killed by one? Well, thousands of people die in auto accidents per year in Florida. Do you think the speed limit should be 5 mph? Because that's the logical equivalent.

3) There's a certain risk to life. But when that risk means that there's about a 1-in-20,000,00 annual risk (that's the rate at which alligators kill people in Florida each year), it's really not worth an ALLCAP-strewn 'slaughter all the gators!' rant. Seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
Do you know what I find baffling? In Pennsylvania here we have deer crossing signs.
Interestingly, deer kill far more people than alligators (well over 100/year, in vehicle collisions). I've hit a total of three of them in two separate incidents. And I know many people who have as well. It's just an inherent risk.

Maybe some people want all the deer eliminated? (I'm not saying you do)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2016, 08:28 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
12,162 posts, read 10,344,414 times
Reputation: 33151
CD never ceases to amaze me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2016, 08:36 AM
 
2,643 posts, read 2,004,214 times
Reputation: 1722
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
IN this day & age how can you NOT know this??? One of the names for the football teams down there is the Florida GATORS!!!!! Not the Florida Bison's!
My original thought was "what were the parents thinking?". But then I realized my knowledge of gators is from visiting, having family there and a sibling who went to UF. If you never visit Florida, you likely wouldn't know that gators can get into even man made lakes, that they can lunge onto the shore from out of nowhere, and that their most likely to "strike" after dusk. Look at the comments - there are people suggesting this is a hoax because the boy's body was intact. So obviously some have no idea that they roll and drown their victims and store them for later.

In addition, Disney is a separate world from the rest of Orlando. They go out of their way to make things "perfect" and their attention to every detail is amazing. They are considered an extremely safe place for children. Putting up signs (like the ones they have in Gainesville) warning of potential alligators isn't too much to ask. I guess I've realize that while some of us know why the "No Swimming" signs are up; others don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2016, 08:41 AM
 
Location: Type 0.7 Kardashev
10,577 posts, read 7,272,570 times
Reputation: 37474
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
IN this day & age how can you NOT know this??? One of the names for the football teams down there is the Florida GATORS!!!!! Not the Florida Bison's!
Good point.

So be on the lookout for jaguars next time you visit northeastern Florida!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2016, 08:45 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
12,162 posts, read 10,344,414 times
Reputation: 33151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Good point.

So be on the lookout for jaguars next time you visit northeastern Florida!
And all those Lakes in Los Angeles!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top