U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2016, 11:23 AM

5,445 posts, read 4,400,838 times

Advertisements

If Disney is sued and they lose, you will see hotels putting signs up all over the place warning of EVERYTHING. Disney will put up signs about mosquitos and the chances of catching the disease of the day from them. There will be signs every 10 feet warning that *gasp* alligators are in Florida waters. They will have more signs every 10 feet warning that snakes might be near by. They will have signs every 10 feet warning that the sun has been known to cause cancer. They will have signs warning that you have a chance of being struck my lightning if outside. How about signs warning people of cars on the road? They will have signs that the hotel is filled with other human beings and that you are not alone. Each plate of food you receive will have a small sign warning you that the food is hot and the drinks are cold unless you order tea or coffee which will come with their own special sign. Don't forget about signs on your balcony that there is a chance of injury if you fall or jump over the railing.

Sometimes things happen and no one is responsible, which I believe is the case here. It is sad that a child lost their life and it is sad that the parents now will continue their lives without their child. This does not mean that they should sue. We live in a big world where things happen outside of our control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 11:27 AM

11,898 posts, read 9,624,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
In Disney's promo ad for the beach area, Disney shows people wading into the water on their beach. This greatly infers to the public that it is safe to wade into the water.
This photo to me looks outdated. 80s, maybe 90s. I'd be surprised if this was a recent marketing photo, given the fact that the photo itself looks old (not the best coloring) and the bathing suits the two people in it are wearing.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:29 AM

72,737 posts, read 64,203,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
That would be a matter to be proven in a court of law.
Or by Disney's insurance company, which could well be on Disney's case about it right now. Their client lost a guest to an alligator attack at one of their beaches? I'm sure they're concerned. If I were an insurance agent, I'd be on the phone with them as soon as the news hit the media. It's the insurance companies' job to minimize risk, and therefore, payouts.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:30 AM

11,068 posts, read 8,998,172 times
I want to know Disney's stance on having a beach with chairs, and movie night right next to a lake with alligators.

Here are my best theories:

1. Disney knows alligators are in the lake but have never had any issues at this particular lake so they became complacent over time. I read they allowed swimming in the 90s or earlier maybe. Would you really just assume an attack won't happen because it hasn't happened yet? Did they have some sort of expert tell them there was no threat to the humans at this "Beach"?

2. Disney for some reason thought there weren't alligators in these waters. This seems highly unlikely as there are videos showing alligators in these waters from years ago.

I just don't understand how they allow people on that beach at all, let alone movie night and sunbathing feet from the water?

Old 06-16-2016, 11:36 AM

6,307 posts, read 7,135,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Or by Disney's insurance company, which could well be on Disney's case about it right now. Their client lost a guest to an alligator attack at one of their beaches? I'm sure they're concerned. If I were an insurance agent, I'd be on the phone with them as soon as the news hit the media. It's the insurance companies' job to minimize risk, and therefore, payouts.
Technically, the mere fact that an insurance company pays a claim or settles a lawsuit is not legally proof of anything.

But, yes, I'm sure that the phones have been burning up between Disney's reps and their insurance companies since this happened.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:39 AM

7,759 posts, read 5,336,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I want to know Disney's stance on having a beach with chairs, and movie night right next to a lake with alligators.

Here are my best theories:

1. Disney knows alligators are in the lake but have never had any issues at this particular lake so they became complacent over time. I read they allowed swimming in the 90s or earlier maybe. Would you really just assume an attack won't happen because it hasn't happened yet? Did they have some sort of expert tell them there was no threat to the humans at this "Beach"?

2. Disney for some reason thought there weren't alligators in these waters. This seems highly unlikely as there are videos showing alligators in these waters from years ago.

I just don't understand how they allow people on that beach at all, let alone movie night and sunbathing feet from the water?
1. Of course they know.
In the 90s, however, alligators were on the brink of extinction in FL, and were not nearly as common as they are now.

2. They are very much aware. They built the park in the middle of a massive swamp.

3. I agree. There should not be a beach there.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:09 PM

4,225 posts, read 3,523,662 times
This has nothing to do with wading in the water or brochures of the resort. It has everything to do with if Disney, or any other hotel anywhere, has the responsibility to warn of dangers of indigenous flora and fauna.

Do we warn about - not eating toxic plants, bees may be present, mosquitoes may carry viruses and bite you, squirrels can carry the plague - at every hotel where these hazards are present?

No we don't.

Disney is being held to a different standard. While I suspect that they will pay the parents it doesn't change the fact that this is Florida and alligators are an indigenous hazard.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:09 PM

23,920 posts, read 31,144,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
With the number of people who watch the show it's not very nave, we don't have cable either.

Once again take away the part that the alligator was even there. It's dark & your TWO-YEAR OLD is playing in the water, how hard is that to grasp? The TWO-YEAR OLD should of been no where near the water.

How in the hell is someone else responsible if the child would of drowned?
There's that "should of" again!!

Old 06-16-2016, 12:12 PM

10,078 posts, read 9,318,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
If Disney is sued and they lose, you will see hotels putting signs up all over the place warning of EVERYTHING. Disney will put up signs about mosquitos and the chances of catching the disease of the day from them. There will be signs every 10 feet warning that *gasp* alligators are in Florida waters. They will have more signs every 10 feet warning that snakes might be near by. They will have signs every 10 feet warning that the sun has been known to cause cancer. They will have signs warning that you have a chance of being struck my lightning if outside. How about signs warning people of cars on the road? They will have signs that the hotel is filled with other human beings and that you are not alone. Each plate of food you receive will have a small sign warning you that the food is hot and the drinks are cold unless you order tea or coffee which will come with their own special sign. Don't forget about signs on your balcony that there is a chance of injury if you fall or jump over the railing.

Sometimes things happen and no one is responsible, which I believe is the case here. It is sad that a child lost their life and it is sad that the parents now will continue their lives without their child. This does not mean that they should sue. We live in a big world where things happen outside of our control.
Good on them if signs are put up everywhere. How exactly does that negatively impact you? If you're aware, then simply walk on. None of those things you listed are accurate comparisons. If the child were bitten by a snake, he could have been saved. You can't put a warning sticker on the sun but there's cancer warnings on cigarette boxes.

The choice of litigation or not is up to them. It's not up to us to decide. If they do though, the case will have legs. Sure "things happen", but when it comes to litigation, you'd best believe that if there's a scintilla of negligence (and that exists here), there's a viable case.

Once again, CYA 101 "Alligators and other dangerous predators in lagoon. NO SWIMMING. No entering the water. Use caution" The Parks dept. here uses such signs..why not Disney? (but I know why).

Do not encourage people to be around the water's edge (i.e. holding an event nearby)

If large alligators have been known to pop up on occasion throughout the years in the lagoon, cordone off the areas where people with small children are known to gather.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:13 PM

23,920 posts, read 31,144,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Of course it does. I can't wait until Disney's insurance company weighs in on the whole thing. I wonder if it will cross the mind of the bereaved parents to sue, at some point. It could be4 argued that Disney was enticing visitors to a known hazard without adequate warning signs.
Are you kidding? I expect the phones are completely tied up with lawyers clamoring for business over this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or