U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2016, 04:55 PM

23,968 posts, read 31,191,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
It was dark, which is when they feed. Something was splashing in the water. The animal no doubt mistook the child for a bird or small mammal -- its normal prey.

Nothing to see here, folks...
LOL. Clearly, there is. You want it to be black and white. It isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 04:58 PM

5,445 posts, read 4,415,784 times
Quote:
The body was found intact, so there won't be any human remains - at least as I heard the story. And who cares if they find the gator who bit him? Any gator would bite him! It's not as if it's some crazed, abnormal, monster gator -- it's just your basic wild animal trying to feed. SMH!

Someone is "bloodthirsty," but it's not the gator.
Maybe Disney wants to give the gator head to the family as a souvenir?

Old 06-16-2016, 05:01 PM

23,968 posts, read 31,191,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
They're going to Disney, you know, the happiest place on earth with children and cartoon characters? Why would parents purposely go there without their kids?

So now we have an age limit for vacation? Good grief!
I completely understand what she is saying. Personally I'd rather have a colonoscopy than take a 2year old to Disney. . I took my kid when he was 7. I felt he was old enough to enjoy it and understand most of the exhibits, and he was well behaved by then. I've always been a little thankful that I didn't have to deal with the "having a younger kid" issue when traveling.

Old 06-16-2016, 05:08 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,026,756 times
Quote:
The body was found intact, so there won't be any human remains - at least as I heard the story. And who cares if they find the gator who bit him? Any gator would bite him! It's not as if it's some crazed, abnormal, monster gator -- it's just your basic wild animal trying to feed. SMH!

When they pulled the first four gators out of the water and euthanized them, his body had NOT been found yet; thus why they would check their stomachs. Once the body was found intact, it became the goal to check teethmarks AT THAT POINT.

Old 06-16-2016, 05:08 PM

4,250 posts, read 3,324,763 times
Quote:

Agreed. This whole stupid thing about finding the culprit gator is just some stupid Florida logic at work here. The kid is dead, end of story. The parents were negligent as much as there should be clear warning signs about alligators. Chalk this up to real tragedy.

Who the heck brings a 2 year old to Disney anyway?///

Old 06-16-2016, 05:10 PM

4,250 posts, read 3,324,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlestix View Post
When they pulled the first four gators out of the water and euthanized them, his body had NOT been found yet; thus why they would check their stomachs. Once the body was found intact, it became the goal to check teethmarks AT THAT POINT.
And for what? To prove that there were alligators in the water? That he wasn't dragged into the water by the tentacles of a giant octopus instead? The kid is dead, end of story. Just more stupidity at work.

Old 06-16-2016, 05:15 PM

4,238 posts, read 3,535,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Agreed. This whole stupid thing about finding the culprit gator is just some stupid Florida logic at work here. The kid is dead, end of story. The parents were negligent as much as there should be clear warning signs about alligators. Chalk this up to real tragedy.

Who the heck brings a 2 year old to Disney anyway?///
I've seen people with newborns. Education in America is seriously lacking.

Old 06-16-2016, 05:15 PM

6,704 posts, read 4,182,989 times
Quote:
That certainly puts it in a different light. Or dark.

Likewise, the parent was to blame for the death of the gorilla at the zoo.

But I guess we feel better about the whole thing all if can just kill some animals at the end of the day.
I doubt very many people really feel better about it at all. But in the case of the gorrilla, he was officially shot because he was judged to be an immediate danger to the life of the child. I'm not sure I agree with that, but i wasn't there. Had the gorilla been some distance from the child, and the child could have been safely removed, the gorrila would not have been shot afterward. It was simply to protect the child at that moment. It was terribly unfortunate, and I wish that it hadn't have had to happen - but i understand why it did.

As for the gators - that's a different story. In many cases, once a predator eats its first human, it learns two things - first, that humans are easy to kill; and second, that they're pretty tasty. This makes them a much greater threat to kill more humans in the future. It's not about revenge, it's simple practicality. Until they know for sure which alligator killed that child, they do need to kill every gator in that lagoon. It's unfortunate, but that's just the reality of it.

Old 06-16-2016, 05:17 PM

6,324 posts, read 3,501,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Just FYI, the child wasn't playing in the sand along the shore. According to authorities, he was in at least a foot of water splashing around at night and his parents were in beach chairs 10 or more feet from him caring for another child in a playpen. Sunset that night was 8:22 and it was after 9. I am not trying to vilify the parents, since everyone makes mistakes. However, terrible things happen when people don't use common sense. Lock your car, don't feed the wildlife, stay out of water when there are "no swimming" signs and hold on to your 2 year old. In 45 years (and billions of tourists) this has never happened at a Disney resort so, as horrific as it is, such an attack is very rare.

Again, I am sure the parents are suffering and will spend the rest of their lives grieving, but FYI the signs don't just say "no swimming."

They specifically read "Do not play or swim in the lake."

Disney probably should have taken added precautions, however, with signs alerting people to the presence of alligators.
Nothing in your post contradicts what I said in mine. To be safe from an alligator attack, a small child needs to be 10+ feet from the water's edge. Did the signs convey THAT message? No. And while native Floridians know that, most tourists do not.

Warning parents of the potential risk of encountering an alligator or a venomous snake during their park visit might take some of magic away from the Magic Kingdom, so Disney relied on vague warning signs that didn't clearly communicate the real hazard. Now that a child has died a hideous death in the jaws of a local predator, Disney is going to bitterly regret that decision. But that's what happens when you attempt to hide the truth from people instead of just presenting it in a forthright manner.

Old 06-16-2016, 05:21 PM

10,577 posts, read 6,845,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
As for the gators - that's a different story. In many cases, once a predator eats its first human, it learns two things - first, that humans are easy to kill; and second, that they're pretty tasty. This makes them a much greater threat to kill more humans in the future. It's not about revenge, it's simple practicality. Until they know for sure which alligator killed that child, they do need to kill every gator in that lagoon. It's unfortunate, but that's just the reality of it.
Good points.

I have no idea why people think that eliminating animals that have killed a person is 'vengeance'. It's simply removing a problem animal.

Second of all, thousands of alligators are legally hunted annually. The same people having a fit because one that kills a person is eliminated probably never bothered to pitch thousands of fits for the thousands that were legally hunted.

It's just prudent management. By eliminating those specimens that have killed a person, you shape the alligator gene pool to be somewhat less inclined to kill people. In the long run, that's good for people and the alligator species.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or