U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2016, 05:25 PM

73,193 posts, read 64,726,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
They'll lose money, but will hardly be "toast."
A $100M settlement would be to Disney what $1000 is to the average American. Might put a slight dent in your pocket, but you recover in no time. Disney will be fine.
They DO need to redesign those "beaches" though.

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.3699...7i10240!8i5120

No Floridian would consider beach chairs that close to a large freshwater lake's edge to be a safe and good idea. It's stupid. Very much so.
OK, not "toast", but the chances are slim they'd win the case, it seems. They'll be legal toast, if not financial. What a shame for everyone involved. And now there's a traumatized family--two kids who saw their baby brother snatched by an alligator. Well, at least the animal released the child, so there were no grisly remains to witness. It could have been worse, I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 05:29 PM

6,704 posts, read 4,206,711 times
Yeah, how do they even handle the remains of someone who has been eaten by an animal? Seriously. I never gave that much thought before. What do they do, just take the torn and half-digested pieces out of the animal's gut and give them a proper burial?

Jesus. Can you imagine a parent having to live with that memory? I don't even want to think about it.

Old 06-16-2016, 05:38 PM

6,901 posts, read 7,111,196 times
From reading many of these posts I guess they should put lots of signs, or a fence, around the Grand Canyon. "If you step off the cliff you will die." People are getting dumber and dumber and take responsibility for nothing.

Check into a hotel "Remember to open the door before you attempt to leave or you will flatten your nose."

FL has lots of pythons - one could slither in anywhere at anytime - should there be signs everywhere about that?

Old 06-16-2016, 05:42 PM

12,244 posts, read 8,185,305 times
For those of you who keep saying that just maybe they didn't expect a gator to be in water.. it's nature habitat, is it safe to say that someone from say Nebraska doesn't know there are sharks in the ocean?

If a toddler can figure out how to get past a fence & down to a gorilla then, I'm pretty sure if a gator wants to get into a pond on a Disney resort then it's going to with the same ease.

First think I think of when someone says Florida besides how hot it is. Snakes & alligators come to mind. Florida is a swamp not much more swamps have alligators.

Old 06-16-2016, 05:47 PM

11,177 posts, read 6,670,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
This is true. Odds are they are watching the Kardashians.

Why watch something intelligent?
Yes, because the puppy bowl and "Too Cute" are so educational.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OK, not "toast", but the chances are slim they'd win the case, it seems. They'll be legal toast, if not financial. What a shame for everyone involved. And now there's a traumatized family--two kids who saw their baby brother snatched by an alligator. Well, at least the animal released the child, so there were no grisly remains to witness. It could have been worse, I suppose.
I don't see why Disney would fight this. That would be horrible publicity for them. They will settle out of court for an undisclosed amount. They've already had 2 billion dollar movies this year, and I'm sure Finding Dory will be very profitable as well. Whatever amount they settle on will be pocket change to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Yeah, how do they even handle the remains of someone who has been eaten by an animal? Seriously. I never gave that much thought before. What do they do, just take the torn and half-digested pieces out of the animal's gut and give them a proper burial?

Jesus. Can you imagine a parent having to live with that memory? I don't even want to think about it.
The child wasnt eaten, and the body was found fully intact. The child's official cause of death was drowning.

Old 06-16-2016, 05:49 PM

12,244 posts, read 8,185,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Yes, because the puppy bowl and "Too Cute" are so educational.

If that's all you want to watch it for then carry on.

Old 06-16-2016, 05:50 PM

11,177 posts, read 6,670,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
From reading many of these posts I guess they should put lots of signs, or a fence, around the Grand Canyon. "If you step off the cliff you will die." People are getting dumber and dumber and take responsibility for nothing.
Have you never been to the Grand Canyon? They do have railing and signs everywhere.

Old 06-16-2016, 05:54 PM

6,353 posts, read 3,531,878 times
Folks, you're not getting it. Disney does NOT cater to those who are tuned in to the natural world. Those folks aren't wasting their precious vacation time at a tacky fake theme park, when they go to Florida they're off visiting Everglades National Park or Biscayne Bay National Park (where, ironically, after being told they enter the park at their own risk, they will be presented with literature giving them a reasonable synopsis of the local environmental and wildlife hazards, so they can make an educated decision about how much risk they wish to take during their visit). Disney caters to the "fambilee-friendly" crowd, and goes out of its way to downplay the fact that there ARE in fact natural hazards visitors may encounter in the park. And most of these visitors are NOT from Florida; many aren't even from the United States, they're from parts of the world where the local ecosystem was destroyed centuries ago and there simply aren't any dangerous animals around any more.

Given the type of tourists the park was created to serve, and the fact that (try though they might - and I'm sure they DO try very hard) Disney in fact CANNOT keep all the local dangerous wildlife at bay, shouldn't they be expected to give the visitors to Disney World realistic warnings about the dangers that are actually present in the park, dangers that these clueless tourists might possibly encounter?

Old 06-16-2016, 06:08 PM

10,168 posts, read 9,393,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Maybe Disney wants to give the gator head to the family as a souvenir?
This post is not only lame but astoundingly tacky. Good job.

Old 06-16-2016, 06:23 PM

51,646 posts, read 50,894,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Why would you "search" for it? It was just being a gator, like every other gator out there. He didn't have a grudge against the child or anything... SMH!
Does this really need to be spelled out for you?

Before the child's body was found, they were searching for undigested toddler parts in the alligators' stomachs. Even though pragmatism tells distanced parties that there's no point in recovering partial remains of a human being that became prey, the parents would likely have not given up on recovering remains, and the search and rescue people would do what they could to effectuate that.

As it turned out, the child was not eaten, but drowned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or