U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2016, 07:49 PM

51,301 posts, read 50,558,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What about Tucson? A city built out in the middle of nowhere basically, in the middle of the Sonoran desert, where people have to have A/C 8 months of the year. Whose bright idea was that?

/rant Back to topic
How about building our country's largest city on (mostly) islands, the most dense part on the smallest one? Commuting nightmare forever, no matter what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 07:52 PM

572 posts, read 266,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I see nothing humorous about this horrific story. However, I do think Disney will be sued and their attorneys will settle out of court. They just announced more warning signs will be posted. I don't know if that's an admission of guilt, but they certainly don't want any more negative publicity.
Posting new signs is not an admission of guilt. In most states (including Florida), evidence of subsequent remedial measures (e.g., posting better warnings after an incident) is not admissible to prove negligence. In terms of settlement, you're right. There will almost certainly be a cash-grab once the mourning period is over, and Disney will almost certainly settle to preserve its image.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:01 PM

12,921 posts, read 19,803,871 times
Game over Disney:

Disney warned about alligator threat before boy's death - CBS News

Gator Attack: Disney Knew of Problems, Staffer Asked for Fence at Lagoon (Exclusive)

Alligators a frequent sight at Disney World - Orlando Sentinel

Now they are on record as having been warned about the alligators, yet did not erect signs to make their guests aware. I like Disney, we've had many great vacations there. But, this tragedy is squarely on them.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:23 PM

9,907 posts, read 12,983,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Game over Disney:

Disney warned about alligator threat before boy's death - CBS News

Gator Attack: Disney Knew of Problems, Staffer Asked for Fence at Lagoon (Exclusive)

Alligators a frequent sight at Disney World - Orlando Sentinel

Now they are on record as having been warned about the alligators, yet did not erect signs to make their guests aware. I like Disney, we've had many great vacations there. But, this tragedy is squarely on them.

Yep. $100 million to the family, a huge donation to some children's hospital in his name, and major changes at Disney coming in terms of how the water on the property is treated. It's a hazard now instead of an attraction. Horribly sad for the family, and Disney will pay through the nose as they should.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:34 PM

14,271 posts, read 15,248,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Game over Disney:

[url=http://www.cbsnews.com/news/lane-graves-disney-warned-about-alligator-attacks-before-boys-death/]Disney warned about alligator threat before boy's death - CBS News[/url]

[url=http://www.thewrap.com/gator-attack-disney-knew-of-problems-staffer-asked-for-fence-at-lagoon-exclusive/]Gator Attack: Disney Knew of Problems, Staffer Asked for Fence at Lagoon (Exclusive)[/url]

[url=http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-disney-alligator-history-20160615-story.html]Alligators a frequent sight at Disney World - Orlando Sentinel[/url]

Does the staffer mentioned still work for Disney or is this the claim of a disgruntled employee? I suppose all the guests mentioned in the above articles who fed the alligators are also to blame, since it's illegal in the State of Florida. I've seen people taking selfies with alligators. Really!

[url=http://www.sno-bird.com/dontfeed.htm]Alligator Feeding is Illegal - Snowbird Resources[/url]

I have no ties to Disney and agree that more signs might have prevented this tragedy, but after reading all the numbers (i.e., 52 million visitors in 2015) it sounds as if they've done a pretty good job regarding security. The last time anyone was bitten by a gator in Disney World was in 1986, but it wasn't fatal. Of course the death of one child is one child too many, but 1 alligator attack in 45 years in the most visited tourist destination in the world doesn't indicate they're a major threat or it's a dangerous place to vacation.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:46 PM

12,921 posts, read 19,803,871 times
Quote:
Does the staffer mentioned still work for Disney or is this the claim of a disgruntled employee? I suppose all the guests mentioned in the above articles who fed the alligators are also to blame, since it's illegal in the State of Florida. I've seen people taking selfies with alligators. Really!

Alligator Feeding is Illegal - Snowbird Resources

I have no ties to Disney and agree that more signs might have prevented this tragedy, but after reading all the numbers (i.e., 52 million visitors in 2015) it sounds as if they've done a pretty good job regarding security. The last time anyone was bitten by a gator in Disney World was in 1986, but it wasn't fatal. Of course the death of one child is one child too many, but 1 alligator attack in 45 years in the most visited tourist destination in the world doesn't indicate they're a major threat.
Instead of smacking your head, you might try reading the links, not just the headlines. Numerous employees are on record regarding the alligators.

Yes, Disney has done a good job with security. But, they have not done a good job protecting their guests when it comes at the expense of creating the illusion of perfection.

We lived in FL, we knew all about alligators in our area in the southern part of the state, and yet, our very pricey accommodations at the Grand Floridian came with no caution that they had been seen in the man made lagoon.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:47 PM

11,068 posts, read 6,583,754 times
Quote:
1 alligator attack in 45 years in the most visited tourist destination in the world doesn't indicate they're a major threat or it's a dangerous place to vacation.
Except during much of that time alligators were an endangered species.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:13 PM

11,672 posts, read 13,882,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Good points.

I have no idea why people think that eliminating animals that have killed a person is 'vengeance'. It's simply removing a problem animal.
This wasn't a problem animal. He was a gator being a gator in his natural environment. The problem was that humans were allowed to encroach. That, and Disney didn't warn guests of the danger.

There has been at least one other attack many years ago. This is not the first time. While I do think Disney should have taken precautions, the parents needed to do the same by not letting such a young child play in unfamiliar waters that late at night. It's a sad story but what's done is done. Hopefully it's a lesson learned for all.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:26 PM

2,813 posts, read 1,399,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Bad things happen when common sense isn't used. A foot of water to a two year old is deep water, especially after dark.
Unless he has severe growth issues, a foot of water doesn't even come up to his waist

And at 9pm it might not even have gotten fully dark.

I just don't yet see the negligence.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:34 PM

6,704 posts, read 4,171,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
Unless he has severe growth issues, a foot of water doesn't even come up to his waist

And at 9pm it might not even have gotten fully dark.

I just don't yet see the negligence.
It was not fully dark; it was twilight. The incident took place roughly a half hour after sunset. I was outside working on the exhaust system of my car tonight a half hour after sunset - there's still a lot of light left at that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or