U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2016, 07:11 AM

2,456 posts, read 2,010,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
This quote from the article is an especially good point:

I appreciate that a family on vacation from Nebraska arent thinking about alligators and Im sure that Disney will respond and put signs up all over the place, Kent Vliet, a crocodilia expert at the University of Florida, told the Guardian.

A child wading at night would easily be in the prey size of an adult gator. Its an extremely rare event, however, and its very much a case of being in the wrong place at exactly the wrong time."

Sadly, that is just the plain truth.

The article had a lot of good information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 07:19 AM

7,372 posts, read 4,227,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Yeah no way in hell would I do that.
Crazy... My kids have had amazing experiences because I do not shelter them and allow them to travel. Mexico, South America, Mediterranean, etc. They have swam with dolphins, visited the Vatican, etc.

Old 06-17-2016, 07:21 AM

7,316 posts, read 4,162,308 times
Quote:
No, YOU are missing it. No one has a "RIGHT to enjoy water". What constitution is that in??
Exactly. No one has a "right" to a risk-free environment, whatever their age. But places that cater to tourists do have the responsibility to make sure their guests know what the local hazards are. What those guests decide to do with that information is up to the guests.

And in many (I'd say most) places on this planet, dangerous wildlife constitutes one of the local risks. Florida is not unique in that regard.

Quote:
Any open bodies of fresh water, in Florida, WILL have gators. It's the nature of the environment. Disney knew this and chose to put misleading "No swimming'" signs up rather than a much more potent and informative sign and barricades.
And that's the problem in a nutshell. Disney ignored the fact that many guests would not be familiar with the reality that alligators (and venomous snakes) are found pretty much everywhere in Florida, and chose not to inform guests of this hazard (unlike the other resorts in the area, which DO have warning signs posted). And that has resulted in a tragedy.

Old 06-17-2016, 07:21 AM

7,801 posts, read 4,391,333 times
"When in Rome..." If native Floridians aren't wading into murky, alligator-infested lagoons, that's good enough for me.

Can anyone confirm that the child was in approximately 1' deep water by himself while the parents lounged on beach chairs about ten feet away and also that Disney was aware that 1) an alligator was spotted there earlier, and 2) guests were in the habit of feeding the gators?

Old 06-17-2016, 07:24 AM

1,588 posts, read 1,975,948 times
Quote:
They DO. They already DO. Routinely. They cannot keep them out, so they hunt them.

No, YOU are missing it. No one has a "RIGHT to enjoy water". What constitution is that in??
If there is a risk of gators in the water, then NO ONE should be near it. Any open bodies of fresh water, in Florida, WILL have gators. It's the nature of the environment. Disney knew this and chose to put misleading "No swimming'" signs up rather than a much more potent and informative sign and barricades.

Below is the link to the Google images page for Alligator Warning signs, anything from one similar to what you posted that you can buy for less than $7.00 to one's that state "At dusk...If It Moves It's Food!!" as a warning (click link and peruse if you care to). I imagine Disney would want to present signs in several languages as it is a worldwide destination resort.

Even with all this I STILL think a tourist, especially a foreign one, could think the whole thing was "part of the act" with the gators animatronic and the signs posted to heighten the scare factor and thrill. This may be reinforced by a guest having visited a theme park that had similar "Haunted Houses" of other fright venues, rides or exhibits.

And I believe there may already be an animatronic Gator in the Rainforest Caf (at least that is what a Google search is showing) at this property? If this is the case it would only reinforce the theory above.

https://www.google.com/search?q=alli...IBigB&dpr=1.25

Last edited by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...?; 06-17-2016 at 07:35 AM..

Old 06-17-2016, 07:57 AM

9,641 posts, read 6,621,119 times
Quote:
Yeah no way in hell would I do that.
Really?
Disney is a truly magical experience for the entire family. Kids (toddlers included) LOVE it.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:02 AM

7,801 posts, read 4,391,333 times
Toddlers may love it, but they're not going to remember it since we don't retain memories much before the age of four. If I were going to blow a bundle in order to "make memories," I'd be more selective. Of course, there are always Facebook pics!

Old 06-17-2016, 08:08 AM

25,994 posts, read 33,010,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
I've taken 2 year olds and 3 year olds to Disney. I've taken 1 kid, 2 kids, 3 kids, 4 kids to Disney. I've been 20 weeks pregnant, 24 weeks, 27 weeks pregnant while taking said children to Disney. It's not my top vacation choice, but my husband and children are crazy about Disney. We've had a lovely time every visit.

People don't all vacation the same way. We also fly all over with kids from young ages so they learn to fly and travel well. I know people who won't go anywhere with their kids until they're practically teenagers. We really enjoy the company of children. Plus, they're on their very best behavior when we go to Disney!
Of course! We definitely don't all vacation the same way or enjoy the same things! I was not implying that we should. I adore Disney and have been many times. I took my son at 7 and it was my best time there ever. My son was old enough that he remembers the trip and what fun we had.

I just don't enjoy dealing with toddlers on such a vacation, it's more trouble than it's worth, for me, so that would be no-go for me. That certainly does not mean that I don't enjoy the company of my child. Quite the contrary...he's the best travel buddy Ive ever had!

Old 06-17-2016, 08:13 AM

7,372 posts, read 4,227,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Toddlers may love it, but they're not going to remember it since we don't retain memories much before the age of four. If I were going to blow a bundle in order to "make memories," I'd be more selective. Of course, there are always Facebook pics!
Maybe you don't...but my five year old has memories from Disney almost years ago. He is always telling me something about his trips and asking to go back. I have zero regrets about traveling with my kids.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:13 AM

12,184 posts, read 10,368,595 times
If kids under say 5 don't remember anything then why bother ever doing anything fun with them at all? I do things with and take my son places so he has fun in the present.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or