U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2016, 09:13 PM

23,973 posts, read 31,197,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Naw. Imho, if those had been up before, that kid would probably be eating a snowcone this weekend, instead of being buried.
Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 09:21 PM

29,978 posts, read 34,616,587 times
One trip to Disney taught me my kids needed to learn how to snow ski. Once was more than enough, even without gators.

Wonder if fried gator is on the hotel menu?

Old 06-17-2016, 09:21 PM

2,813 posts, read 1,403,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Naw. Imho, if those had been up before, that kid would probably be eating a snowcone this weekend, instead of being buried.
Agreed.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:19 PM

11,133 posts, read 6,621,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Alligators can't read.
Well good thing the signs aren't meant for the alligators.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:38 PM

10,127 posts, read 9,352,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Alligators can't read.

Plus people are dumb.

And gators are present in more than just the resort beach areas.

Security theater at its finest.

Don't you get it? It's not Just about the public safety. Or rather, it's 50% in the public's interest and 50% in theirs. A simple sign like that would a) in all likelihood have prevented this tragedy (because I think most parents would NOT have their children in alligator infested waters, despite what the CD crowd asserts) and b) from a business/legal perspective remove any hint of negligence on the part of Disney. If people "are dumb" enough to enter the water with alligators present, then they enter at their own risk and whatever happens is on them. Same with any warning sign. It protects businesses from true acts of Darwinism. It's a pity it took a boy dying for these reactive measures to be implemented (fencing, wildlife reporting, clear signage, clamping down on people feeding the wildlife, acknowledging that there are alligators and snakes on the grounds, education of patrons and staff, and so on). Since Disney is in Florida, and they built their Magic Kingdom on a swamp, then it is on them to be very upfront. When it all comes down to it, this happened on their property due to their negligence.

Old 06-18-2016, 12:19 AM

10,127 posts, read 9,352,192 times
Also it saddens me that lane graves's name will forever be associated with "Disney alligator victim" or "Disney alligator fatality". Who knows what he could have been in life had he lived. Gone too soon.

Old 06-18-2016, 12:50 AM

6,133 posts, read 3,338,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Don't you get it? It's not Just about the public safety. Or rather, it's 50% in the public's interest and 50% in theirs. A simple sign like that would a) in all likelihood have prevented this tragedy (because I think most parents would NOT have their children in alligator infested waters, despite what the CD crowd asserts) and b) from a business/legal perspective remove any hint of negligence on the part of Disney. If people "are dumb" enough to enter the water with alligators present, then they enter at their own risk and whatever happens is on them. Same with any warning sign. It protects businesses from true acts of Darwinism. It's a pity it took a boy dying for these reactive measures to be implemented (fencing, wildlife reporting, clear signage, clamping down on people feeding the wildlife, acknowledging that there are alligators and snakes on the grounds, education of patrons and staff, and so on). Since Disney is in Florida, and they built their Magic Kingdom on a swamp, then it is on them to be very upfront. When it all comes down to it, this happened on their property due to their negligence.
You left out c) reduce by an unknown amount the revenue of Disney due to the fact that some potential customers would choose not to patronize a place with these dangers and some customers would choose to minimize their risks by spending less time and therefore less money at Disney World.

Old 06-18-2016, 01:45 AM

11,133 posts, read 6,621,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
You left out c) reduce by an unknown amount the revenue of Disney due to the fact that some potential customers would choose not to patronize a place with these dangers and some customers would choose to minimize their risks by spending less time and therefore less money at Disney World.
I doubt this will keep anyone from going to Disney. There have been other deaths at Disney, and still millions of people visit each year. Most people have a " that would never happen to me" mentality. And considering this was an extremely rare incident, it will be easier for people to think that way.

Old 06-18-2016, 06:23 AM

6,325 posts, read 3,503,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
You left out c) reduce by an unknown amount the revenue of Disney due to the fact that some potential customers would choose not to patronize a place with these dangers....
And that's their right. Are you actually saying that Disney should have the right to lie by omission in order to boost its profits?

Old 06-18-2016, 06:54 AM

882 posts, read 324,004 times
This was a terribly tragic accident and the judgment and anger being directed toward these devastated parents is absolutely horrendous!

According to Floridians, one should never be near freshwater at dusk and 10 feet is too close. But all DISNEY GUESTS ARE NOT Floridians. IMHO these parents had reasonable expectations of safety, while attending a resort sponsored event on a beach at dusk.

I was on that beach, in daytime, decades ago and it is small and is called a beach. No news article specifically says the child was unattended. While we are speculating we could say that the parents were at the edge of the water with the child; after all, the Floridians who have seen alligators in action have informed us that a gator attack is stunningly swift, silent and stealthy. By news accounts, the parents SAW it happen. Therefore I conclude that they were most likely standing or sitting in the sand near the baby. That is more reasonable to believe of parents of young children. They were close enough to react to the attack and the creature and their child.

As for the signage...well it said no swimming. It did not say, stay out of the water. One who is not a Floridian might conclude that it is an unprotected beach, therefore no swimming. Splashing on the shoreline of water that has skiing and water parades and various other events, while waiting for a Disney program, scheduled on the beach at dusk equals reasonable expectation of safety, in my mind. Because they did not see the alligator, before it attacked, but did as it made its move and then tried to rescue the child makes me assume they were very nearby. Again a horrific accident.

It was in Florida, at dusk and they were attending a resort sponsored event. The Floridians have all told us that it is not safe to be within 10 feet of water at dusk: But it was a party thrown by their hotel on the hotel's beach. I believe I would have a reasonable expectation of safety as well.

Are we talking a matter of inches on the sand that makes them fair game for judgment or a matter of feet that makes a resort negligent? Reasonable expectation of safety in my opinion that has possibly led to a lifetime of what ifs and If onlys accompanied by an unending loop of mental horror.

Last edited by corpgypsy; 06-18-2016 at 07:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or