U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 08:06 AM

11,758 posts, read 5,543,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Why are people making jokes out of a tragedy?

Sick
It's just a coping mechanism for the truly nice and compassionate people.

Or something like that.

Mick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 09:25 AM

13,612 posts, read 10,296,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
Has anyone seen that guy that ran Hillary's e-mail server lately.

bill
Haha! I love gallows humor.

You can laugh or you can cry. In the words of Billy Joel " I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints." This does NOT mean that I have no sympathy for the victim. It means that I can't do anything about it, and for my own sanity, cannot dwell in the darkness.

Old 06-14-2016, 07:33 AM

10,279 posts, read 4,856,239 times
I can't tell you how many times people here in Florida think it's a good idea to go for a little swim in a nearby lake or canal. Not a good idea as you have to remember if there is water there will be at least one alligator.

Back in the 80's a little girl named Erin Glover was walking with her dog and her older brothers near a lake when a gator attacked and killed her. I've hated them ever since.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:41 AM

14,310 posts, read 9,064,637 times
Let's just kill all the wildlife because it's obvious that humans are too stupid to be around it.

Like another poster said someone thought it was a good idea to go swimming knowing gators all are over Florida.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:56 AM

10,577 posts, read 7,270,970 times
Just to keep some things in perspective, for those that think going near water in Florida is a lethal threat:

*There are 1.3 million alligators in the state.
*There are more than 20 million people in the state.
*As with all states, a hefty subset of that population are various degrees of idiotic.

And yet, despite the numbers...

Though three people were killed by alligators in the state in 2015 (3 out of 20,000,000+), there were no fatal alligators attacks in Florida in 2014. Or 2013. Or 2012. Or 2011. Or 2010. Or 2009. Or 2008. The point is that the state averages fewer than one fatal alligator attack per year. And the fact is that millions of idiots acting idiotically around alligator-infested waters, from Florida up to North Carolina and over to Texas survive just fine.

That should tell you something.

And now, back to acting like walking along a lakeshore in the sunshine state is a death-defying activity...

Old 06-14-2016, 05:52 PM

7,247 posts, read 4,669,329 times
People in Florida are approximately 10 times more likely to be killed by lightning than by alligators - but those who are killed by alligators are 487,923 times more likely to have a thread in their honor on City Data.

That said, I just want to point out that crocodiles and alligators are entirely different animals. Crocodiles get along just fine with everyone in Florida; it's those damned alligators who are the troublemakers.

Last edited by Mr. In-Between; 06-14-2016 at 06:17 PM..

Old 06-14-2016, 08:15 PM

5,549 posts, read 4,340,026 times
When asked for a last statement prior to his execution he was reported to have said, "tastes like chicken".

Old 06-14-2016, 09:54 PM

109 posts, read 148,181 times
Default 'Child Dragged Into Water by Alligator at Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando': Sheriff

This is absolutely terrifying! How did this happen so close to the theme park? And if it's a generally-prevalent and real danger, how has it not happened before?

From what I've read, they have not found the 2 year-old as of yet and are still searching for the little girl's body at this time. Including, with helicopters and dive teams.

Edit: I can't help but be curious and want to ask, is this just a very rare and tragic accident? Or were the parents likely irresponsible or neglectful? It mentions that, "According to several tweets, the child was on the beach during a “movie night” event when the incident occurred," but wouldn't there be precautions and safety measures taken if this were being done in a place where gators were a realistic danger and concern?

And I hate to have to ask this, but it seems like a reasonable question to at least consider, but does anyone think that something else may have happened to the child and the parents are blaming it on a gator attack? I have only read one article so far, so it's certainly possible that there are some stories with reports of witnesses confirming having seen an alligator taking the child away. I'm just asking questions I'm curious about while my mind is racing form thinking about this disturbing story.

Link to article: Child Dragged Into Water by Alligator at Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando: Sheriff | KTLA

"Deputies in Orlando are searching for a child who was apparently dragged into a lake by an alligator at the Walt Disney World’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, the Orange County Sheriff’s Office confirmed to the Orlando Sentinel.

The child, who is about 2 years old, was dragged into Seven Seas Lagoon around 9:30 p.m. ET, sheriff’s office spokeswoman Rose Silva said.

Crews are currently searching by helicopter and a dive team is en route, Silva said.

According to several tweets, the child was on the beach during a “movie night” event when the incident occurred.

As of 11:30 p.m. ET, crews are searching the water for the missing child."

Check back for updates on this developing story.

Last edited by BillyJackAz; 06-14-2016 at 10:01 PM.. Reason: To add to my original post

Old 06-14-2016, 09:57 PM

184 posts, read 102,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJackAz View Post
This is absolutely terrifying! How did this happen so close to the theme park? And if it's a generally-prevalent and real danger, how has it not happened before?

From what I've read, they have not found the 2 year-old as of yet and are still searching for the little girl's body at this time.

Link to article: Child Dragged Into Water by Alligator at Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando: Sheriff | KTLA

"Deputies in Orlando are searching for a child who was apparently dragged into a lake by an alligator at the Walt Disney World’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, the Orange County Sheriff’s Office confirmed to the Orlando Sentinel.

The child, who is about 2 years old, was dragged into Seven Seas Lagoon around 9:30 p.m. ET, sheriff’s office spokeswoman Rose Silva said.

Crews are currently searching by helicopter and a dive team is en route, Silva said.

According to several tweets, the child was on the beach during a “movie night” event when the incident occurred.

As of 11:30 p.m. ET, crews are searching the water for the missing child."

Check back for updates on this developing story.
How horrible. I read on the daily mail that the father was wrestling the gator to try to save his kid.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:59 PM

2,748 posts, read 874,462 times
My God, that is beyond horrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or