U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2016, 04:28 PM

26,039 posts, read 33,056,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
You'd think the fact that, despite 20 million Floridians living together with 1.3 million alligators, the fatality rate is only about one per year would clue you in to the reality that, basically, getting killed by an alligator takes not only a whopping does of negligence by a pretty hefty dose of bad luck as well.
Absolutely agreed. Bad luck and Disney's negligence made for a really bad day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2016, 05:26 PM

6,409 posts, read 3,596,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You're saying the Florida panther is alive and well? That's big news! Maybe not so much for city dwellers, but they're believed to be on the brink of extinction.

Living in Seattle, I had raccoons meandering across my and the neighbors' back yards, and possums living in the trees. I have friends who live in a town in WA where small herds of deer stroll nonchalantly down the street as if they owned the place. Wildlife in neighborhoods, amusement parks and hotel properties aren't something tourists think of when planning and enjoying a trip, though. Which is why effective warning signs are so important.
Yes, I have seen a panther alongside Rt. 951 in Collier County. While their numbers are down, they are not totally extinct. I saw a big male sleeping alongside the roadway just a few years ago. Other motorists were stopping to take his picture.

I will agree with you about warning signs. Up North on Ocean Beaches, we have been told to get out of the water when a Shark has been spotted near the beach. Why not an Alligator in Florida?

Old 06-18-2016, 11:17 PM

6,999 posts, read 3,886,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
And that's their right. Are you actually saying that Disney should have the right to lie by omission in order to boost its profits?
No, not at all. Why would you consider that?

Old 06-18-2016, 11:35 PM

6,999 posts, read 3,886,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I doubt this will keep anyone from going to Disney. There have been other deaths at Disney, and still millions of people visit each year. Most people have a " that would never happen to me" mentality. And considering this was an extremely rare incident, it will be easier for people to think that way.

Really? Then why do you think Disney didn't post those signs long ago when they knew there was an alligator problem? Read some of the Florida relocation forums here and recognize that there are people who express a fear of crossing from Georgia on I-95 due to alligators.

Old 06-19-2016, 07:51 AM

7,330 posts, read 4,179,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
No, not at all. Why would you consider that?
Because it's what you wrote. (And what you continue to write, in the reply you just made to Sundaydrive00).

If the only reason Disney didn't post warning signs prior to this incident was to protect their finances because some people would be scared off by the signs, that by definition is putting profits ahead of people's safety.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:13 AM

14,457 posts, read 9,105,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Who said anything about abusing and slaughtering animals?

Controlling the population is as good for animals as much as people. The alligator population is a huge issue if they are encroaching into very public areas.

Humans are allowed to breed as much as they want destroying animals & taking their homes away. Of course this is called progress. And cry when something like this happens & of course the animal is put down & everyone feels sorry for the human.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:21 AM

12,675 posts, read 7,582,455 times
Quote:
Really? Then why do you think Disney didn't post those signs long ago when they knew there was an alligator problem?
They knew their were alligators, I don't think they knew it had become such a problem. They actively work on removing the alligators, so maybe they thought were doing a better job then they were. A posted earlier about how Disney hosted a party on that beach in 2012, pictures showed plenty of people in the water. Why would Disney cast members allow people in the water if they thought it was dangerous? I just think that since alligator attacks are rare, they thought it was fine. Now they know better, and have put up signs.

Quote:
Read some of the Florida relocation forums here and recognize that there are people who express a fear of crossing from Georgia on I-95 due to alligators.
Well it seems like those are people who would never go to Disney World to begin with.

Old 06-19-2016, 11:44 AM

56,235 posts, read 54,695,623 times
Quote:
Really? Then why do you think Disney didn't post those signs long ago when they knew there was an alligator problem? Read some of the Florida relocation forums here and recognize that there are people who express a fear of crossing from Georgia on I-95 due to alligators.
Why? Do the alligators know and respect the Georgia-Florida border or something?

But serious question--how far north do alligators venture? For some reason I thought there were some as far north as the Carolinas, but I could be mistaken.

Old 06-19-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
But serious question--how far north do alligators venture? For some reason I thought there were some as far north as the Carolinas, but I could be mistaken.
Here you go: Crocodilian Species - American Alligator (Alligator mississippiensis)

As you can see from the map, they are found mostly near the Gulf Coast in most of the states mentioned.

Old 06-19-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Well it seems like those are people who would never go to Disney World to begin with.
Unless, of course, they'd been misled into believing Disney World (unlike the rest of Florida) is alligator-free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or