U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 06:54 AM

26,044 posts, read 33,056,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
You have now officially disqualified yourself from further comments in this thread.
Yeah that was pretty funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 07:26 AM

7,330 posts, read 4,179,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
LOL! I thought that that location was pretty well known. You've never been to the Outer Banks I guess. 😄
Nope, I've not yet seen that part of the country (although I have been to other parts of the Carolinas; I have relatives there).

Which just goes to show one of the main points of this thread: "pretty well known" isn't universal. Which is why some people fly to the wrong Sydney (https://airodyssey.net/2014/03/27/wrong-airport/) and Floridians shouldn't assume all tourists know that alligators aren't only found in the Everglades.

Old 06-20-2016, 07:30 AM

6,416 posts, read 4,841,701 times
Born and raised in Florida, I have ate my share of gator meat. Im never surprised when they return the favor to humans. I encourage all humans to eat some gator meat some time in their lives. Its the circle of life.

Old 06-20-2016, 07:34 AM

6,416 posts, read 4,841,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Just remember next time you order that gator tail appetizer: chances are that protein came from human flesh!
Gatortail is yum yum. Im not sure if human arm or leg taste just as good. I guess someones to ask Barney.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:34 PM

6,999 posts, read 3,886,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Why do you keep defending Disney's decision not to post warning signs prior to this tragedy, even after several park patrons told them about close encounters with gators?
I don't. You just can't read.

Old 06-21-2016, 06:07 AM

In response to rialise's list of reasons for why Disney should have posted warning signs prior to this tragedy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Don't you get it? It's not Just about the public safety. Or rather, it's 50% in the public's interest and 50% in theirs. A simple sign like that would a) in all likelihood have prevented this tragedy (because I think most parents would NOT have their children in alligator infested waters, despite what the CD crowd asserts) and b) from a business/legal perspective remove any hint of negligence on the part of Disney. If people "are dumb" enough to enter the water with alligators present, then they enter at their own risk and whatever happens is on them. Same with any warning sign. It protects businesses from true acts of Darwinism.
you responded with this remark:

Quote:
You left out c) reduce by an unknown amount the revenue of Disney due to the fact that some potential customers would choose not to patronize a place with these dangers and some customers would choose to minimize their risks by spending less time and therefore less money at Disney World.
Sorry, but however understandable that might have been from a business standpoint, it's not a valid ethical reason for not erecting a warning sign, hence it doesn't belong on rialise's list.

Quote:
I don't. You just can't read.
On the contrary, I can read just fine. The problem lies in what you wrote above. Own it.

Last edited by Aredhel; 06-21-2016 at 06:31 AM..

Old 06-21-2016, 07:07 AM

13,612 posts, read 10,320,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
In response to rialise's list of reasons for why Disney should have posted warning signs prior to this tragedy:

you responded with this remark:

Sorry, but however understandable that might have been from a business standpoint, it's not a valid ethical reason for not erecting a warning sign, hence it doesn't belong on rialise's list.

On the contrary, I can read just fine. The problem lies in what you wrote above. Own it.
I think Kokonutty was actually agreeing with you. He or she was just pointing out the $$$$ reason why they didn't have the warning signs. One sign with a picture of an alligator ( not all Disney patrons read English ) would have probably done the trick, but it would mess with their " Happiest Place On Earth" business model.

Old 06-21-2016, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I think Kokonutty was actually agreeing with you. He or she was just pointing out the $$$$ reason why they didn't have the warning signs. One sign with a picture of an alligator ( not all Disney patrons read English ) would have probably done the trick, but it would mess with their " Happiest Place On Earth" business model.
That's probably true, and we're arguing over nothing substantial, just the phrasing of a post. But hey, it's the internet! Arguing over nothing is a time-honored tradition!

Old 06-21-2016, 08:23 AM

56,246 posts, read 54,695,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
LOL! I thought that that location was pretty well known. You've never been to the Outer Banks I guess. ��
I never heard of it, either. And isn't Florida a town in upstate New York?

I used to see cars with an OBX sticker on the back, which perplexed me. In the transportation world, OBX is shorthand for the Outerbridge Crossing, a bridge connecting Perth Amboy, NJ, with Staten Island, NY. It's an old cantilever bridge, not particularly impressive, and i wondered why people would be so proud of having driven over it that they would slap a sticker on their car. Eventually I figured it out.

Old 06-28-2016, 04:26 PM

4,365 posts, read 3,244,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
In the transportation world, OBX is shorthand for the Outerbridge Crossing, a bridge connecting Perth Amboy, NJ, with Staten Island, NY. It's an old cantilever bridge, not particularly impressive, and i wondered why people would be so proud of having driven over it that they would slap a sticker on their car.
Hahaha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or