U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2016, 12:25 AM

13,819 posts, read 24,553,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
A 2-year-old should have been in bed by 9:00 p.m., not at the beach. It seems there was some bad judgment involved. The parents should have left the child at home with a sitter, or with a grandparent, if they wanted to be out at night on their vacation.
Have you ever been to Disneyworld??? People have kids up until 1am, routinely!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 12:26 AM

11,033 posts, read 6,574,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
There once was a pond in FL where a gator named Allig lived.

One day a cute little girl in crinalins and lace got to close to the water.

So Allig ater.
Hopefully you never have to experience losing a child in a horrific way and have people make jokes about it on the internet. Seriously, a two year old child is killed, and people think its something to make jokes about? Sickening....

Old 06-15-2016, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I don't really think the horrifying death of a 2 year old is something to joke about.
For some, humor is a coping mechanism for all the horror that happens in the world.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:32 AM

109 posts, read 131,170 times
Quote:
Seriously? We are now going to judge the parents based on the child's bedtime while on vacation? They were probably out there for the fireworks, that are not until 10pm, or the electrical water parade that starts after 9pm.
I would have mostly been in agreement with you with regards to not blaming the parents just for having the child with them, but according to the article I just read, the child was actually playing in the water!

Link: Child, 2, Dragged Into Water By Alligator Near Disney Resort - NBC News

"A 2-year-old child on vacation with his family at a Florida Disney resort was attacked by an alligator that dragged the boy into a lake in front of his horrified parents, police said.

The child was playing in the water on a beach area near Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa at around 9:16 p.m. Tuesday when the alligator described as between four and seven feet long attacked, Orange County Sheriff Jerry Demings said.

"The child was playing in the water, just a foot or so into the water, and the alligator came up and attacked," Demings said. "The father at some point struggled to try to get his son and was not successful."

The family is visiting from Nebraska, Demings said. The father was near the child when the attack occurred, and the boy's mother also may have entered the water, Demings said. "The parents diligently tried to get the child," Demings said.

The search for the child at Seven Seas Lagoon continued early Wednesday. More than 50 law enforcement officers were searching the lake. The state fish and wildlife commission said it was also searching and had a trapper looking for the alligator.

"We're not leaving until we recover the child," Demings said.

"As a father, as a grandfather, we're going to hope for the best in these circumstances, but based upon my 35 years of law enforcement experience, we know that we have some challenges ahead of us at this time," Demings said.

There were signs that say not to swim in the lagoon, Demings said. Family members alerted a nearby lifeguard after the attack, and authorities were called.

Demings said he was not aware of another alligator attack under similar circumstances.

Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission Officer Chad Weber said he wasn't aware of any reports of nuisance alligators in the area, but the agency was investigating.

"We're putting every effort into locating the child and trapping this alligator," Weber said.

A representative for Disney said the company's thoughts are with the family. "Everyone here at the Walt Disney World Resort is devastated by this tragic accident," she said.

There have been at least 41 unprovoked "major" alligator attacks in Florida since 2010, according to the state Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission records. At least two deaths in 2015 were the result of alligator attacks.

A swimmer in Blue Spring State Park was killed in an attack in October, and a burglary suspect in Brevard County is believed to have been killed in November as he hid from police, according to the commission and the Brevard County Sheriff's Office."

After reading that article with that information, and even recognizing that this family was apparently visiting from Nebraska, as other people have said, there are numerous signs warning people not to swim in the water there because of alligators, so I don't see how you can't at least place some blame on the parents. Obviously, they were not trying to be blatantly irresponsible, but they surely must have just not there was any real danger by letting their child play in the water. Realistically, though, I would have to think that they had been alerted to how prevalent alligators are in the waters there in Orlando. This is just an absolutely horrible story to read about and I hate to hear this happened to this family.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:41 AM

14,271 posts, read 15,241,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwick View Post
My mom is actually in Orlando with my daughter right now. I texted her about it and she called me right back . . . of course they are fine, but it really scared me. They were on their way home from Disney World and had no idea this had happened.
Unless she swims in fresh water (especially at night) you have very little to worry about, since alligators are not very aggressive except when protecting their nests. As I wrote in an earlier comment, there were an estimated 105 million tourists in 2015 (and another 19.8 million FL residents) and only 2 fatal alligator attacks.

I just heard an update and the toddler was playing in a foot of water. The police said there were "no swimming" signs posted all around the lagoon and no other people were in the water. I don't want to blame the parents, since they will suffer for the rest of their lives, but what didn't they understand about those warning signs?

Old 06-15-2016, 01:01 AM

1,359 posts, read 780,696 times
The Daily Mail article said:

"Later, as the child played waded in about one foot of water with his mother, the alligator - believed to be anywhere between four and seven feet long - attacked."

Could it be possible that the mother didn't realize that there were alligators in the water? If she did know that there were alligators, why on earth would she wade into the water with the toddler? Maybe she interpreted the signs to mean that wading was permitted although swimming was not.

Horrible thing to happen...So sorry for the poor child and the parents.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:03 AM

11,033 posts, read 6,574,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post

I just heard an update and the toddler was playing in a foot of water. The police said there were "no swimming" signs posted all around the lagoon and no other people were in the water. I don't want to blame the parents, since they will suffer for the rest of their lives, but what didn't they understand about those warning signs?
They probably had similar thoughts as the OP, that it was safe being so close to a theme park. The magic kingdom is right across the lagoon, there are boats and a parade in the lagoon... False sense of security. Although, it seems like alligators have been in the news a lot lately, so you would think anyone in Florida would be extra cautious. But being from out of town, I can see how they might not realize that they can be anywhere.

And I'm sure they're not the only ones to go in the water. Since Disney attracts so many people from all over the world who probably don't know a lot about alligators, maybe their signs around the lagoon should warn of alligators. Might keep such a tragedy from happening again, even if it is rare.

ETA: Disney used to allow swimming in the lagoon, but stopped allowing it because of the amount of motorized boats in the lagoon were a safety issue. Its possible one or both parents remember swimming in the lagoon before, and thought nothing of it. They also allow water skiing, so there was no reason to think the water was dangerous.

Last edited by Sundaydrive00; 06-15-2016 at 01:16 AM..

Old 06-15-2016, 01:26 AM

14,271 posts, read 15,241,835 times
Quote:

And I'm sure they're not the only ones to go in the water.
I only wrote that there were no people in the water at that time, according to the police.
Quote:
Since Disney attracts so many people from all over the world who probably don't know a lot about alligators, maybe their signs around the lagoon should warn of alligators. Might keep such a tragedy from happening again, even if it is rare.
As always, when any story first breaks, we get different reports. Now I'm hearing that both parents were fighting the gator, but it was too strong. Everyone who visits FL should be warned that any freshwater pond, river, lake or canal can have alligators. The time of night didn't help either, since alligators usually hunt at dusk or at night. However, about 10 years ago, a woman on Sanibel was working in her garden and an alligator crawled out and dragged her back into the water. She was screaming and rescued by a neighbor, but she later died from her injuries. So, although fatal attacks are extremely rare, they can happen, even when someone is being careful. Still, there's a much greater chance of getting into a fatal car accident or being a crime victim than being attacked by a wild animal.

In any case, this is a very sad story.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:32 AM

From gays to gators...no good news in Orlando these days.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:57 AM

6,121 posts, read 3,320,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
A 2-year-old should have been in bed by 9:00 p.m., not at the beach. It seems there was some bad judgment involved. The parents should have left the child at home with a sitter, or with a grandparent, if they wanted to be out at night on their vacation.
You don't get to decide what is an appropriate bedtime for somebody else's children. You don't get to decide when anyone can go to the beach. Who do you think you are?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or