Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2016, 07:28 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,985,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
To make it even more confusing, the title of the original thread indicated a body was found in an alligator's mouth but at the time the second story was posted, the poor kid's body hadn't even been found yet.
I posted this a week or so ago in regards to a "dead" body that was spotted in a Florida gators mouth in Lakeland, FL

Unsure how these got merged , because the disney world story was just posted a day or so ago...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 07:38 PM

555 posts, read 616,990 times
Wildlife Officials Vow to Find Gator That Dragged Boy to His Death - NBC News

WTF? Is this a joke?

WTH is wrong with people... it was a horrible tragedy. but what exactly is the point of searching for the gator and killing it? Why do animals have to get killed because of negligent parents?

It seems someone else always has to pay when something bad happens, it can never just be a horrible accident or tragedy.. no, someone else must pay! and since there is no one else here, then lets go and kill the animal who had the nerve to act like... a wild animal!

Old 06-15-2016, 07:43 PM

30,254 posts, read 23,725,162 times
Ooooooooooookay, I have to make some corrections here on the myths about alligators and humans.

First of all, alligators do not seek out humans for meals. Alligators typically go for things that they can gulp down in one bite. They don't "roll and roll" their prey, they BITE their prey, and then schloop, down the hatch in one gulp.

If it's a deer, (or stupid human), they will pin the prey underwater, but it's not that "death roll" that people talk about. Then they have to sit there and wait until the flesh starts to drop off. They bite, they don't "chew". Their teeth are not designed to chew. They do not have the capability of slicing off pieces of meat, they literally have to wait for the pieces of meat to come off with little effort.

Second, while I know Albert the Crocodile was being funny in his post, it's actually the crocodiles you need to be more concerned about. There aren't nearly as many, and most people will never encounter one, but man...you better hope that you don't. They are far, far more aggressive than alligators. (Sorry to talk bad about your family, Albert.)

Here's how you get attacked by an alligator - this is the ONLY way that you get attacked by an alligator:

You are within 10 feet of the gator.

Maybe you see it, maybe you don't. If you see it, and you're closer than 10 feet, it's because you're an idiot who has watched one too many gator wrestling shows and think you can do the same. Let me fill you in on a secret: Every. Single. Person. that I know who does gator wrestling has been bitten. They survive because a) the fat ass gator is well fed b) there's people right there to help (radios, flat out yelling, or a tourist losing their s**t running to tell other employees about it) c) they cover their eyes and do NOT MOVE.

What do idiots do? "Hold my beer and watch this". They stick their hand in the gator's mouth, they put a stick in the gator's mouth, they completely and totally underestimate how fast that gator will move because the gator does NOT move until it strikes. When you see it move, it's too late for you. You will never be fast enough to escape. So they get bit. What do they do next? They panic. Usually it's because the other person they are with, or the people they are with that they were showing off to, all start panicking. The guy, (because it's always a guy), starts trying to yank his hand or foot out of the gator's mouth. You're not going to win that battle. You're going to get dragged. You're going to get bit further as the gator tries to get a better grip on you...you will be pulled in, you will drown.

OR you jump in a lake and land on a gator, or swim right next to one, or eventually bob over one because you apparently forgot that you were in Florida.

OR you were walking your dog along the dock or the banks thinking that the gator would not come after your dog because you were there. Yes, gators don't tend to make flying leaps towards humans...unless that human is way too close. But that dog? What a tasty little morsel that would be! Yum! So they tend not to care much anymore that there's a human attached to the leash and they go for the dog. In a split second, you went from walking your Jack Russell along the dock to standing there with half a leash. (That is an actual true story.)

Those who don't see the gator - apparently forgot that they were in Florida. In Florida, not only do you have oceans and the Gulf, you also have many lakes, rivers, and canals.

You do not walk next to the water. You don't dunk your feet in the water. You don't sit on the edge of a dock and let your feet hang over. You don't reach down with your hand to touch the water to see how cold it is. If you go fishing, you sure as hell do not stand on the banks. You don't run and do a cannonball in to the water and then swim back towards the edge. (It's not the middle of the lake you normally have to worry about...it's the edges.) Your 2 year old should never be within 10 feet of the bank of the lake, river, canal. Ever. Your dog should never be within 10 feet of the bank of the lake, river, canal. YOU should never be withing 10 feet of the lake, river, canal unless you have a clue about gators. Most people who grew up in FL or have lived there for awhile, know and are aware of where gators can, and more than likely, are. They do go canoeing in the Everglades, they do go swimming in the Everglades (I've done both..yes I have swam in 'gator infested waters' BUT I KNEW the area because it was the area that we drove our airboats every day. Gators are territorial, you will learn where each one likes to hang out. So when I did it, it's because I knew the area. I would never go swim in an area where I did not know the gators and where they liked to stake their claims.)

Alligators do not hunt humans. If a human is killed by a gator, either the human was a total idiot, the human had an idiot for a parent, or someone threw them to the gators...although that is a bit far fetched. Not totally out of the question, just not as likely as: Human stupidity.

In the end, any gator over 4' in the state of FL will pay with their life for human stupidity. And for the ones who put themselves in that situation (not the ones who had crappy parents - like innocent 2 year olds), I say I hope the gator enjoyed its last meal because your stupidity just killed that gator.

Finally, the longest recorded length of a gator is 19' and some inches back in 1900 in Louisiana. The gator on the golf course was not 20 feet. Average length is 13'....if they live long enough.

This is breeding season. That means gators are out and about, doing their thang, trying to make mini gators. That means you'll have a much better chance of seeing them. That means, typically, that humans start acting even more stupid than usual.

And for crying out loud, stop feeding the gators! This is what causes them to lose their fear of humans and makes them even more dangerous. They are supposed to go away from you when they see you, not towards you. If it comes towards you, you are too close to the gator, to the gators eggs or hatchlings, or it was fed by humans.

To answer the above post: The excuse given as to why any gator over the length of 4' who kills a human has to then be killed is because, 9 times out of 10, that gator was fed by humans, and that gator no longer fears humans. It is not always the case that the gator was fed, there's plenty of times when people were just stupid...but the gator will always pay for it with his/her life. Always.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:12 PM

37,594 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
They don't "roll and roll" their prey, they BITE their prey, and then schloop, down the hatch in one gulp.

If it's a deer, (or stupid human), they will pin the prey underwater, but it's not that "death roll" that people talk about.
You mean like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KwYILC0yyc

Old 06-15-2016, 08:16 PM

37,594 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
Wildlife Officials Vow to Find Gator That Dragged Boy to His Death - NBC News

WTF? Is this a joke?

WTH is wrong with people... it was a horrible tragedy. but what exactly is the point of searching for the gator and killing it? Why do animals have to get killed because of negligent parents?

It seems someone else always has to pay when something bad happens, it can never just be a horrible accident or tragedy.. no, someone else must pay! and since there is no one else here, then lets go and kill the animal who had the nerve to act like... a wild animal!
The alligator killed the kid. You seriously think that they would NOT kill it?

Wow.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:24 PM

555 posts, read 616,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
The alligator killed the kid. You seriously think that they would NOT kill it?

Wow.
parents negligence killed the kid...

wild animals will be wild animals, what does a manhunt search to hunt down and kill an animal accomplish?

I think you deserve the eyeroll... someone must pay for the parents mistake right?

Old 06-15-2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Please do tell us how often humans are out there in the wild holding the gator's food, fighting him for it. Tell us, is that on every pond apple tree, every 10 meters, how many humans are out there in the wild trying to yank the gator's food away from him?

Old 06-15-2016, 08:25 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,776,075 times
Why anyone wants to take a two year old to Disney is beyond me anyway. For one thing, they won't remember the visit when they get older, so it really isn't for them. For another, it is an overcrowded tourist trap with parents who take small whiney children (ages infant to toddler) out for a day in the blazing heat to wait on long lines, eat crappy food, and sweat. Take them when they are teens or tweens so they will at least remember the time spent there.

With regard to gators, one should always assume that ANY body of water in Florida may have a gator residing there. They move about and you just never know. I just don't understand people sometimes. Just like the idiot who went swimming in crocodile infested waters in Australia recently and paid for it with her life. Signs posted everywhere and she was aware of the probability, just didn't think it would happen to her.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:29 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,833,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
Why would you bother to respond to me without even fully reading what I posted. Contrary to what your ASSUMING about alligator attacks, the link I posted and many other studies have clearly illustrated Alligators are exponentially less successful attacking out of the water then in it. Btw a Crocodile is a whole different beast then an Alligator. The fact that your comparing the two tells me that you haven't really researched either one too well.

If this had been a crocodile attack that happened in crocodile infested water that had no signs indicating such I would have a totally different opinion. In that case, even if the parents were walking 10 feet from the water, armed with hand guns and holding the child's hand; that attack still would have been unavoidable. This attack is a completely different story and normal parenting behavior would have prevented it.

So you consider not letting a 2 year old go into water alone that clearly is marked as "no swimming," in the middle of the night and without the parent being in the water with the child "helicopter parenting?" Seriously???

1. The child was not alone, he was with his mother.
2. It was nine o'clock, not the middle of the night.
3. "No swimming" does not indicate "no wading."
4. See number 1.
5. This was "a crocodile attack that happened in crocodile infested water that had no signs indicating such." Just substitute alligator for crocodile. Time to change your opinion.

The attack was completely avoidable if Disney was honest enough to inform its customers of a very real danger, but one that would compromise some of their huge profits.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:31 PM

Where is the death roll?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm8NRGJSOV8

Where is the death roll?

(To those who hate to see an animal be eaten by another, while still alive, do not watch this.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dJ2lEnu-vM

THIS is normal. A man holding a gator's food in his hands, attempting to pull it from the gator is NOT normal. Fighting a python is also NOT normal as python are not indigenous to the Everglades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events