Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2016, 01:39 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,110,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The child wasn't swimming. The child isn't old enough to swim. He was sitting in the water. The sign doesn't say "no wading", or "keep out of the water". It very graphically says "no swimming". That's undoubtedly part of the problem. The other part of the problem is that the parents didn't want to leave the kid at home with a sitter, so they dragged him everywhere they went on vacation, including to night-time entertainment. As if a 2-year-old could enjoy a movie, or whatever the program was.
It was a kid movie event. Why would you get a sitter to go to a children's movie event??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 01:39 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
In Disney's promo ad for the beach area, Disney shows people wading into the water on their beach. This greatly infers to the public that it is safe to wade into the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80;
There is no way that Disney was ignorant about alligators in its artificial lake. Just because these tragedies happen rarely does not make them impossible. A corporation the size of Disney has lots of in-house counsel whose job it is to be informed about all liabilities and the potentiality for law suits. If there's even an inkling of a hazard to the public, it is these lawyers' job to notify the parent company.

Disneyworld has been around since 1971. So they know the area well. Resorts consult with and hire all sorts of wildlife experts in planning and maintaining their parks in order to minimize danger to their patrons. Obviously Disney was informed about the high population of alligators in the area and their entry into the artificial lakes. Other resorts in the area know about the dangers of alligators and post warning around bodies of water on their properties. If the smaller resorts in Orlando do this, do you really think the biggest one of them all would be unaware of this?

Disney is toast if the couple decides to sue.

Old 06-16-2016, 01:40 PM

5,132 posts, read 4,482,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
This case will never get to trial, assuming one is filed (they may even make sure it doesn't go that far). Disney will deal with it as quietly and quickly as possible, no matter how much it costs.
Yep. I doubt this case will ever go to trial. Disneyworld just wants this thing to go away asap without marring its reputation. Their pockets are deep enough to ensure that.

Old 06-16-2016, 01:46 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
It was a kid movie event. Why would you get a sitter to go to a children's movie event??
I'm talking about leaving the kid at home altogether, when the couple plans a vacation for themselves. 2 seems like way too young for an amusement park vacation.

Old 06-16-2016, 01:54 PM

4,288 posts, read 2,058,162 times
Quote:
I'm talking about leaving the kid at home altogether, when the couple plans a vacation for themselves. 2 seems like way too young for an amusement park vacation.
They went with 2 other children. I have always taken all of my children to Disney and any other vacations

Eta. I think they had 1 older daughter.

Old 06-16-2016, 01:56 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,752,657 times
There will be a lawsuit soon.

Old 06-16-2016, 02:01 PM

37,795 posts, read 40,994,120 times
Heck, you can even put a saddle on their bugs.

Old 06-16-2016, 02:06 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,316,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
They went with 2 other children. I have always taken all of my children to Disney and any other vacations

Eta. I think they had 1 older daughter.
Yes, really, and to answer those who say "child is 2, shouldn't be in the water," my son was jumping off lower cliffs at a quarry (granted, with a lifejacket) when he was 2. He was swimming in water over his head without a lifejacket when he was 4, and WITHOUT formal training.

Know why? I don't know this for a FACT, but I think it's because we LET HIM DO THINGS rather than "protecting" him from everything. We're nearby, but we provide instruction that encourages them to try rather than yelling "STAY OUT OF THERE!!" every 3 seconds. A child is MUCH more likely to die from drowning than from an attack of this nature, so anything that helps them learn to swim is great. Besides that, I want my son to ENJOY life rather than being smothered to death by helicopter parenting. I've seen these parents and I feel sorry for the kids, they can be in the safest pool of water known to man surrounded by 34 lifeguards AND with the parent able themselves to swim, and the MINUTE that child is in water above its ankles they go screaming bloody murder. A child's childhood is not supposed to be like that, it's supposed to have some ADVENTURE and without all the freaking bubble wrap.

Old 06-16-2016, 02:11 PM

17,142 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Disney is toast if the couple decides to sue.
They'll lose money, but will hardly be "toast."
A $100M settlement would be to Disney what $1000 is to the average American. Might put a slight dent in your pocket, but you recover in no time. Disney will be fine.
They DO need to redesign those "beaches" though.

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.3699...7i10240!8i5120

No Floridian would consider beach chairs that close to a large freshwater lake's edge to be a safe and good idea. It's stupid. Very much so.

Old 06-16-2016, 02:12 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Without my having to read 35 pages, can someone tell me why they killed five alligators when the body was found INTACT (uneaten) in some brush? How could they even tell which one was "the killer," or are they just out to eradicate all alligators? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events