U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 08:05 AM
Status: "We're all entitled to my own opinion." (set 14 hours ago)

17,387 posts, read 8,548,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
All the educational programs and money thrown into drug enforcement hasn't done anything but increase the drug epidemic. The drug companies came up with an antidote for a heroin overdose yet one would think they could come up with a drug to break the addiction.

How many times does one give a $50 antidote to someone who continues to shoot up?

Why are so many people turning to drugs today? Is it because of peer pressure for the young people? The lack of employment or educational opportunities? Lack of parenting? Refusal to have responsibility?

My spouse has a debilitating condition which can be very painful yet she refuses prescription drugs for pains as she doesn't like how they make her feel. What is the high that these people get from these drugs?

It isn't a high, it's relief from pain using prescription drugs that can lead to needing more and more and eventually lead to heroin use when they can no longer either get, or get relief, from prescription drugs.

Your spouse may have a pain threshold that allows her to refuse to take prescription drugs. Many don't.

We keep talking about the drug problem here in America and leaving pill pushing doctors out of the equation. Why do they automatically prescribe pain medication "you'll need" following surgery without even seeing how the patient is managing the pain using OTC medication? They're all guilty of that and when questioned they tell you "the addiction incidence is low". Low isn't low enough as far as I'm concerned. Not when there is an epidemic of addiction to these drugs.

They prescribe them and then the nurses drill it into your head to be sure to take your meds every X hours "to stay ahead of the pain". So people get it in their minds that they should not be feeling ANY pain ever. Severe pain, I can understand the need for narcotics. Mild to moderate pain? I think most people can deal with that without messing with something they could be playing Russian roulette with. They just need to be told that, instead of being told they need narcotics and should stay ahead of the pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 08:36 AM

19,237 posts, read 11,145,594 times
I have received pain meds after surgery- and very limited by INSURANCE- they do NOT approve, so its cash,I figure for some??- in either case i have pretty good pain tolerance and except when I hurt my back- I would take anything more than aspirin - start the exercises etc etc to fix the problem- but I understand-- pain- however when my son passed the Dr I went to see when I did not have insurance between jobs- at one of those small walk in clinics pushed pills on me- and even walked me OUT and asked me again- I said NO! he was insistent- and thank GOD I was too- or might be hooked today! Losing my son was not easy- i took it out on the garden,, but darn that DR almost-- scary- i was hired and never returned there as had my insurance

Old 06-12-2016, 11:21 PM

9,862 posts, read 13,199,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashystyle View Post
Aside from marijuana use, which isn't causing these deaths and is increasing because of legalization and medical marijuana, drug use isn't up. https://www.drugabuse.gov/publicatio...ionwide-trends

More people are dying because the drugs that people are using, specifically heroin and prescription opiates, are deadlier than other drugs.
That's one of the main reasons I support MMJ........you can't overdose.......which you can easily with heroin or opiate based pills yet employers drug test for MMJ even in medical states and yet you can stop pills for a few days and they leave your system and you pass the test

Old 06-13-2016, 08:21 AM

20,872 posts, read 22,451,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
All the educational programs and money thrown into drug enforcement hasn't done anything but increase the drug epidemic. The drug companies came up with an antidote for a heroin overdose yet one would think they could come up with a drug to break the addiction.

How many times does one give a $50 antidote to someone who continues to shoot up?

Why are so many people turning to drugs today? Is it because of peer pressure for the young people? The lack of employment or educational opportunities? Lack of parenting? Refusal to have responsibility?

My spouse has a debilitating condition which can be very painful yet she refuses prescription drugs for pains as she doesn't like how they make her feel. What is the high that these people get from these drugs?
I do too. I have almost had to fight with my doctors for them not to just dismiss me with opiates because that's what they do. It makes it easier for them I think when they can't do anything else.

Thing is, Vicodin, Oxycontin, etc doesn't do a thing for my pain. They don't even make me high, just sleepy. But the doctors keep wanting to prescribe them. Opiates don't work for everyone, GOOGLE "Opiates don't work."

They also reach the point of not working after people have to increase their dosages time after time but doctors continue to prescribe them and people continue to get hooked on them.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:45 AM

10,328 posts, read 12,421,365 times
Prescription drug abuse, guns. Too many lives lost each day. Seems to get worse everyday also.

Make it STOP!!!!

Old 06-15-2016, 08:01 AM

514 posts, read 419,076 times
I think it is just a cycle. Unfortunately we are in the opiate cycle of popular drugs which are the easiest to die from. When cocaine/crack was the thing in the 1980s people weren't dying at the rate they are today simply due to the fact it is very hard to die from those drugs. Yes they are equally addictive, but the overdose potential is just simply not as high. Pain pills are just a lose lose situation. It is inhumane to expect people to live in pain 24/7 but at the same time it is nearly impossible to diagnose pain which leaves the door wide open for people to lie to doctors to obtain them. We need strict regulations no doubt, but not so strict that it hurts those who truly need them. I saw an article yesterday that NY (go figure) is now going to limit pain meds to 7 day scripts. While in theory this may help, IMO it is not fair to expect someone with cancer or who has been mangled in a car accident to make it to CVS every 7 days. There just really is no good answer besides personal responsibility is what it all comes down too.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:52 AM

526 posts, read 412,388 times
What I don't understand is why all of a sudden are so many people in pain? I get it that doctors the last few years have been over prescribing pain medications, but why are so many people supposedly in pain and asking for relief? What changed between 20 years ago and now? It just doesn't make sense, unless people came to realize how easy it is to get a doctor to put them on some kind of pain medication, and they just want some kind of high to escape problems in their life.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:09 AM

9,862 posts, read 13,199,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
What I don't understand is why all of a sudden are so many people in pain? I get it that doctors the last few years have been over prescribing pain medications, but why are so many people supposedly in pain and asking for relief? What changed between 20 years ago and now? It just doesn't make sense, unless people came to realize how easy it is to get a doctor to put them on some kind of pain medication, and they just want some kind of high to escape problems in their life.
Life is much more stressful than it was 20 years ago in case you haven't noticed.

Terrorism, unstable job market, unstable world economy

Just a few small differences.

Stress causes people not to sleep, get injured more often, develop addictions easier.

I can see all sides of this argument and there are good points about stress vs responsibility.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:14 AM

11,828 posts, read 7,699,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
Life is much more stressful than it was 20 years ago in case you haven't noticed.

Terrorism, unstable job market, unstable world economy

Just a few small differences.

Stress causes people not to sleep, get injured more often, develop addictions easier.

I can see all sides of this argument and there are good points about stress vs responsibility.
Accelerated capitalism is the source all all these stress. Rich people worry more than the poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or