U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 01:53 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,114,298 times

Advertisements

LOL poor guy isn't going to starve to death by missing one meal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2016, 03:56 PM

13,349 posts, read 16,514,328 times
Notice that an annoyed fellow passenger was telling the passenger to stop what he's doing (pestering the FA? baiting the FA? recording the FA?) near the end of the excerpt.

Old 06-11-2016, 04:19 PM

387 posts, read 321,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by octo View Post
I'm not with the FA. Threatening with arrest over a petty issue like this is way out of line.

The FA has too much power if he truly can have a passenger arrested just for talking to him.

Besides this, business class or first class tickets are usually extremely expensive so why can't American stock enough food for the few passengers who pay or qualify for these expensive seats?
I have to agree. I think it is completely out of line to tell people to "shut up" in this or any other work situation. I've been on plenty of flights where attendants have been really rude for no reason, and people are now often intimidated to say anything because with all the "safety training" they can basically do anything to you in the name of it.

Hey, I'm not saying it isn't a hard job, but they chose it for the perks. My colleagues and I work for very low pay in community clinics, and often deal with people flipping out because they haven't been able to get their medications, death threats even sometimes, and I have never in 10 years spoken abusively to the patient, no matter what they have said to me. It is possible, it is professional, and I just think there isn't an excuse.

If I can sit there while someone is screaming at me that I'm a b*tch who does't care about care about their back pain or that they are going to sue me and take away my license to practice if I don't write whatever medication they want, and I can calmly talk with them, sometimes fix the situation, and if not then get either my supervisor or the police without raising my voice at any point (or insulting them), then a flight attendant can handle an irate pasta person. Jeez!

Old 06-11-2016, 04:44 PM

3,192 posts, read 4,232,952 times
So the passenger owns a business? He probably thought he was some social justice hero by doing this. What he doesn't realize that this is most likely going to backfire on him like the guy who criticized Chick-fil-A a couple years ago. The guy who went through the drive through and confronted the girl working at the window.

As a business owner, this will probably ruin his business.

Stupid should hurt, though. You'd think that stupid that hurts would reduce the repeat stupid but some people are just hard headed.

Old 06-11-2016, 05:26 PM

1,278 posts, read 831,331 times
these videos never show what happened prior. always out of context when shown on media.

Old 06-11-2016, 06:17 PM

6,680 posts, read 11,896,336 times
I've had this job. The disrespect a FA puts up with can take a heavy toll. In this day and age it is worse than ever. There is no excuse for it. Most passengers are OK to deal with. It is just now days society has deteriorated so much. Some passengers are not capable of conducting themselves properly and should stay home.

Old 06-12-2016, 05:43 AM

1,809 posts, read 604,741 times
The sad part is, the airline will probably apologize to the passenger and reprimand or fire the FA. Companies always take the side of the customer, regardless of how out of line the customer was. They choose the customer over the employee who comes in every day, does a great job, and who cares about the company. When push comes to shove, the customer always wins.

I worked for one company where a customer returned 5 of the same item, claiiming each one was defective. Finally, on the 5th return, the manager told him he could not take back any more because the customer was obviously doing something wrong. The customer called headquarters, and a call came down immediately. They told the manager to call the customer, apologize, return the 5th item, and give him a $25 gift certificate for his inconvenience.

From then on, we knew the rules and never made any waves, regardless of how much we were trying to do the right thing.

Old 06-12-2016, 06:42 AM

2,564 posts, read 3,585,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Nope.
Flying has become an onerous chore. No longer almost a pleasure. And when you pay of business or first class service, you ought to be treated better than you are on flights today.
I would have maybe sided with the flight attendant had this been in economy class, which usually seats 4 times as many passengers. Other than just flat out poor planning and execution, there's no reason a flight should run out of a menu choice for business class. Some may say the guy is being an entitled whiner but imagine if he's a vegetarian with pasta being the only option. He's in the right to be a little upset considering he may have paid significantly more for business class.

I fly a lot and I've had good service and bad service. Sometimes it feels like walking on eggshells asking a flight attendant for coffee. Airline service is already bad enough, flight attendants shouldn't be encouraged to be rude to passengers.

Old 06-12-2016, 06:48 AM

2,564 posts, read 3,585,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senah View Post
I have to agree. I think it is completely out of line to tell people to "shut up" in this or any other work situation. I've been on plenty of flights where attendants have been really rude for no reason, and people are now often intimidated to say anything because with all the "safety training" they can basically do anything to you in the name of it.

Hey, I'm not saying it isn't a hard job, but they chose it for the perks. My colleagues and I work for very low pay in community clinics, and often deal with people flipping out because they haven't been able to get their medications, death threats even sometimes, and I have never in 10 years spoken abusively to the patient, no matter what they have said to me. It is possible, it is professional, and I just think there isn't an excuse.

If I can sit there while someone is screaming at me that I'm a b*tch who does't care about care about their back pain or that they are going to sue me and take away my license to practice if I don't write whatever medication they want, and I can calmly talk with them, sometimes fix the situation, and if not then get either my supervisor or the police without raising my voice at any point (or insulting them), then a flight attendant can handle an irate pasta person. Jeez!
Exactly, I fly a lot and it seems like a curt personality with at least a mild contempt for passengers is common across the industry. I don't know if has always been like that. Could the attitude of the security lines seeped into all aspects of air travel?

Old 06-12-2016, 07:29 AM

5,484 posts, read 5,204,399 times
When he pulled out his camera, now he has stepped out from trying to clarify a situation to now making the situation potentially dangerous for the stewardess. It could have turned into a legal lawsuit, stupid social media harassment, or something else. The stewardess did the right thing by not taking it and playing that passenger's twisted game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or