U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 08:03 AM

1,546 posts, read 1,588,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Just waiting for the 'government needs to regulate umbrellas' people to chime in, since it seems to be a public danger now.
Yes, as we are all waiting for the "government needs to ban all umbrellas from entering the US" crowd to chime in, since all umbrellas are terrorists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 08:17 AM

11,821 posts, read 7,695,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is what I was thinking, too. The manufacturer could be sued. Bad design. That sharp end so handy for rooting the umbrella in the sand looks like one of those "it seemed like a good idea at the time" type of things. The designer didn't take into account the potential lift power of the wind.
Go ahead and sue, in all likelihood the company is some middle guy that gets their hardware from China. Good luck getting anything. That's the reason why so many companies leave America, you can't have businesses take responsibility for all kinds of odd things.

When do we start suing baseball makers if someone dies from getting hit by a ball?

Old 06-13-2016, 09:56 AM

5,489 posts, read 6,213,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Meteors that hit the earth are a freak occurrence. Wind is not. It is to be expected. That's why there ought to be changes in the types of umbrellas or sun shade enclosures allowed on the beach. This was not the only time beach impalement has happened.
Doing a simple search I found one other person killed by a beach umbrella. That's not counting the 485 pound umbrella that was part of an art project in California that tumbled over and crushed a lady.

Christo Umbrella Crushes Woman - NYTimes.com

So with your logic, we need to also ban art.

Old 06-13-2016, 10:01 AM

9,701 posts, read 6,669,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Just waiting for the 'government needs to regulate umbrellas' people to chime in, since it seems to be a public danger now.
If there were tens of thousands of annual deaths from beach umbrellas, yeah, I would certainly hope the govt. would step in and regulate.

Old 06-13-2016, 10:15 AM

51,212 posts, read 50,499,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Go ahead and sue, in all likelihood the company is some middle guy that gets their hardware from China. Good luck getting anything. That's the reason why so many companies leave America, you can't have businesses take responsibility for all kinds of odd things.

When do we start suing baseball makers if someone dies from getting hit by a ball?
Someone related to me by marriage sued a baseball bat manufacturer and won. He didn't die, but is permanently brain-damaged. The award will care for Steven for life.

$14.5M settlement reached in Wayne family's Louisville Slugger lawsuit [video] - Story Archives - NorthJersey.com

Old 06-13-2016, 11:52 AM

20,344 posts, read 20,421,819 times
If everyone were like me and kept their heads buried in the sand, there would be no need for dangerous beach umbrellas.

Old 06-13-2016, 06:28 PM

10,392 posts, read 7,472,821 times
Y'all gotta stop making me laugh. I'm trying to be sad over here.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:48 PM

14,969 posts, read 8,536,771 times
Lucky to be alive in this case.

Beach umbrella blown in wind impales woman in chest at Maryland beach

Quote:
A woman was injured on a Maryland beach when an unattended umbrella pierced her chest, according to a beach patrol officer.

The wooden pole of an unattended rental umbrella pierced the skin of the upper left chest of a 46-year-old Pennsylvania woman Sunday on Ocean City Beach. Capt. Butch Arbin of the Ocean City Beach Patrol said he spoke with the woman Monday morning and she's doing well.

Old 07-24-2018, 06:09 AM

489 posts, read 108,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
Hope she was drunk as hell.
I'm like a Boy Scout in this regard. Always prepared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
So with your logic, we need to also ban art.
Just Cristo.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:40 AM

24,718 posts, read 59,579,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Do you really think the government needs to be giving us any more laws? This was a freak accident, we can't make laws to prevent every conceivable freak accident that may occur.
I bought a 2 foot high wooden step ladder. It had a sticker on it that said "Caution, not to be used to support motor vehicles"

we can regulate anything, every freak accident seems to result in a law or at least a requirement for a sticker. Where was the sticker saying caution do not stand downwind on windy days" ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or