Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 07:09 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,243,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
It doesn't resemble any beach umbrella I have seen for sale around here.
It looks like a typical umbrella you would rent right on the beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2016, 07:16 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
She was probably the sister of the guy impaled / killed by the jumping swordfish or the guy impaled by the sting ray barb. Really bad luck.

Old 06-11-2016, 07:19 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
Quote:
even seen someone take their cat to the beach in the cat's own little sun shelter:

What were the winds on the day the woman was impaled?

There ought to be prohibitions against the use of the type of umbrella which caused the death on particularly windy days, and yes, obviously there needs to be some regulation about how the umbrella was set up or its size or something.

I would personally vote for sun shelters only, no large, pointed poles at all. Many people nap on the beach and would have no idea that a large pointed "javelin" was heading their way. No escape possible.

This poor woman died of a preventable—not a freak—accident.

Do you really think the government needs to be giving us any more laws? This was a freak accident, we can't make laws to prevent every conceivable freak accident that may occur.

Old 06-11-2016, 08:13 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,148,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Or better yet, ban people going onto the beach entirely! That would prevent all the deaths from ocean drownings, getting eaten by sharks and other animals, terrible sunburns, alcohol poisoning from drinking too much and excessive sun exposure, and all the other safety hazards caused by going to the beach

I certainly have no answers. Our own homes are veritable death traps.

Old 06-11-2016, 08:45 AM

919 posts, read 789,622 times
since when is wind a freak occurrence?

On Maui you can no longer rent that type of umbrella (at least from Snorkel Bobs which is where I go) due to concerns over liability.
We've learned lots of things over the years, usually the hard way, but we've made modern life safer. Sometimes it's government regulation that's needed, sometimes just common sense.

I agree these sorts of umbrellas should not be on a public beach.

Old 06-11-2016, 09:07 AM

17,302 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Sure wish there was a few marksman standing around they could have shot the umbrella out of the air and saved this woman!

Old 06-11-2016, 09:08 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
Lovely that some seem to find this story funny.. its a bit sick actually.

Old 06-11-2016, 09:27 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,217,972 times
This is one of my nightmares. I used to rent chairs and umbrellas on a Destin Florida beach when I was younger. Our umbrellas had two piece poles, the upper half with the umbrella and the lower half with the sharpened end that stuck into the sand. I remember one day when a sudden storm came up and umbrellas that were firmly planted in the sand started blowing over and as they flipped some of the the lower halves were flung end over end with force high into the air. People were running from the beach and these lethal projectiles were landing all among them. Luckily no one was struck but from that day forward we closed all umbrellas if there was even a hint of a storm coming.

Old 06-11-2016, 10:23 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,249,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Just waiting for the 'government needs to regulate umbrellas' people to chime in, since it seems to be a public danger now.
Your "government needs to regulate umbrellas" people exist only in your distorted imagination. All reasonable people agree this was a freak accident. Your attempt to start an argument about what the government needs to do does not belong in current events.

Old 06-11-2016, 12:25 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,474,723 times
Reminds me of the story of a woman who was widowed on the day of her wedding. There was a motorist in need, so her husband got out to help them. Another car "swiped right" into that lane, killing him

Quote:
I have even seen someone take their cat to the beach in the cat's own little sun shelter:

I did NOT know there are cats that enjoy the beach. I guess when you think about it, all they do is just lie there in the shade, taking in the scenery, salty air, sound of waves, sound of birds, and company of people walking about... just like how some folks enjoy the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events