U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2016, 10:53 AM

9,862 posts, read 13,199,006 times

Advertisements

Early reporting of course, but Evan Perez on CNN just said he recently bought the guns and was on an FBI watch list as a known ISIS sympathizer

This guy was a security guard too that should have been back ground checked?

Old 06-12-2016, 11:02 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,040,293 times
Temporarily closing

Reopening after review. If you cannot hold your opinion back, and you cannot frame it in away that will not cause this thread to go off topic to debate things do not post here. Mentions of gun control, anti/pro islam, anti/pro homosexuality comments out of the context of the current event will result in a deletion of the comment. Do not waste your energy in a comment that will be deleted. Before you post ask yourself if you have worded your comment in a way that will cause another poster to have to interject their opinion on a specific hot button topic. This specific tragedy hits hot button issues on several polarizing fronts. I WILL NOT allow anyone to use this thread to frame a narrative. This is a moderating post. Do not respond to and/or quote it.

Last edited by mjlo; 06-12-2016 at 11:37 AM..

Old 06-12-2016, 11:40 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,040,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
I was at a gay nightclub last night in Boston. It could have easily been me. R.I.P.
This also hits close to home for me. I was at a pride event all day yesterday. I'm really glad my friends in Orlando didn't go out last night. I've been to Pulse a couple times myself

Old 06-12-2016, 11:49 AM

3,510 posts, read 2,795,787 times
Reports are that Santa Monica, CA police have detained an individual that was on his way to the L.A. gay pride parade. Found in his vehicle was a cache of weapons and explosive materials.

Old 06-12-2016, 11:59 AM

8,071 posts, read 5,080,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Reports are that Santa Monica, CA police have detained an individual that was on his way to the L.A. gay pride parade. Found in his vehicle was a cache of weapons and explosive materials.
Some are speculating ISIS is targeting gay pride events.

Old 06-12-2016, 12:05 PM

4,024 posts, read 1,801,369 times
Of course we all want to understand the "why" of such senselessness.

It still seems unclear.

LEO is stating the perp called 911 shortly before the attack and "swore allegiance to the leader of ISIS ".

On the other hand, the perps father stated he was with his wife and child a few months ago when he saw two men kissing and it made the perp angry. His father went on to say it was not a religious issue.

It was also stated he was trained in security/weapons as that was his job.

My personal opinion is he was just a loner, homophobic/psychopath with a deadly skill set and he went off the deep end. He just threw the ISIS thing in because the mental break down had already occurred, he was about to play it out and in the end he thought it might justify his actions if he brought a "cause" into it.

To the rest of us, it is just insanity. Many people live a somewhat tenuous existence due to a great many pressures. Many just fold and are born by the rest of society. Others explode.

May peace be with the victims and their families.

Old 06-12-2016, 12:07 PM

3,279 posts, read 3,759,909 times
What bothers me as much as anything is how everyday activities now arouse suspicion. I was swimming at a creek about 2 weeks ago near a bridge, a spot where people have fished before, and somehow that was "suspicious" enough for someone to call the local sheriff whereby they asked REPEATEDLY if I was on drugs and if my car had weapons.

I guess this is related to the small town outside of Waco (maybe 3 hours from here) where an improvised crude explosive device was found under a bridge. No one wants anything awful to happen, but if merely swimming in a creek near a bridge is now all it takes for something to be "suspicious," well even after all this that is just not how our society should be.

Old 06-12-2016, 12:08 PM

29,937 posts, read 34,545,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
An easy target of unarmed loving people just celebrating life. It could easily be something like a pool full of kids.

Shows that police can't be everywhere protecting everyone.

Old 06-12-2016, 12:10 PM

4,948 posts, read 6,877,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Direct your anger into stamping out the root cause - hate, intolerance, and probably mental illness (from your posts that got deleted, something tells me you think the root cause lies elsewhere). If not, you are part of the problem, not the solution.
Uhhh, I think u have me confused for someone else. None of my posts were deleted.
and I dont even know what you're talking about/

Old 06-12-2016, 12:13 PM

1,631 posts, read 1,910,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
That would make sense. They throw gays off roofs in their occupied territories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or