U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 12:16 PM

8,071 posts, read 5,356,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
An easy target of unarmed loving people just celebrating life. It could easily be something like a pool full of kids.

Shows that police can't be everywhere protecting everyone.
Of course they can't. It's impossible. If these events are really coordinated by ISIS (We don't know yet) they are hard to anticipate. If there is a mastermind behind this they might change their targets just to avoid the extra security.

Old 06-12-2016, 12:17 PM

7,856 posts, read 7,207,953 times
He reportedly called 911 just before the shooting and pledged loyalty to ISIS. His ex-wife also says he was prone to mental instability and physically abusive.

Orlando Shooting Suspect Identified As Omar Mateen, Registered Democrat Of Afghan Descent; Pledged Allegiance To ISIS | Zero Hedge

They're calling it an inspired act of terrorism. In other words, it's a copycat crime.

Mass Killings Inspire Copycats, Study Finds

Old 06-12-2016, 12:20 PM

9,716 posts, read 5,401,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
What bothers me as much as anything is how everyday activities now arouse suspicion. I was swimming at a creek about 2 weeks ago near a bridge, a spot where people have fished before, and somehow that was "suspicious" enough for someone to call the local sheriff whereby they asked REPEATEDLY if I was on drugs and if my car had weapons.

I guess this is related to the small town outside of Waco (maybe 3 hours from here) where an improvised crude explosive device was found under a bridge. No one wants anything awful to happen, but if merely swimming in a creek near a bridge is now all it takes for something to be "suspicious," well even after all this that is just not how our society should be.
We-ll.......

in 2006 or so, I was doing research work down on the Port Aransas jetty, walking out there fully clothed with my collection gear, my GPS, perhaps a camera and wearing a life jacket. Before I went, I made sure lots of people knew what I was doing such as the prof I was under, the UTMSI prof I had to consult, my primary and secondary criminal justice profs and perhaps more. I had also informed Tx Parks & Wildlife but that was more to determine what kind of licenses and permits I needed for my work.

Further, I had run into the beach constable on my way in and on his advice, I checked in with the Coast Guard station before I started work.....and checked out when I was done.

Now maybe it's just little ole security consciousness, paranoid me.......but when you look out of place, it perhaps helps to consider how others might see you.

Old 06-12-2016, 12:22 PM

6,021 posts, read 13,496,443 times
Someone on my FB feed just brought up a point:

There are a lot of LGBT+ people, especially younger ones, who are still closeted and haven't told their families about their sexuality. If any of them got killed or injured, it's likely their family would not know or think to ask if their loved one was there. How would they even go about to find out?

Old 06-12-2016, 12:23 PM

22,952 posts, read 22,399,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
As a foreign contributor to these boards; I would choose to refrain from the usual banter and instead offer my sincere condolences to the victims, their families and loved ones and to the American people as a whole.

America is absorbing far too many of these types of occasions for them to not have an affect on your psyche as a nation.

You are being sorely tested to maintain your charitable and compassionate nature for the future.

Please prevail in spite of these horrendous events.

God bless you.
Thank you BruSan. We are being tested but I believe in the end we as a nation and as a world will prevail over these vermin called terrorists.
Sadly things like Orlando will have to continue until we as a people find a solution to end the insanity.

Old 06-12-2016, 12:24 PM

6,251 posts, read 3,368,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I wish I could donate. Because I was stationed in Italy during the mad cow outbreak I'm not allowed to donate blood. I use to donate 3 times a year.
Same here .... not allowed to donate, either.

Old 06-12-2016, 12:29 PM

3,279 posts, read 4,037,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
We-ll.......

in 2006 or so, I was doing research work down on the Port Aransas jetty, walking out there fully clothed with my collection gear, my GPS, perhaps a camera and wearing a life jacket. Before I went, I made sure lots of people knew what I was doing such as the prof I was under, the UTMSI prof I had consult, my primary and secondary criminal justice profs and perhaps more. I had also informed Tx Parks & Wildlife but that was more to determine what kind of licenses and permits I needed for my work.

Further, I had run into the beach constable on my way in and on his advice, I checked in with the Coast Guard station before I started work.....and checked out when I was done.

Now maybe it's just little ole security consciousness, paranoid me.......but when you look out of place, it perhaps helps to consider how others might see you.
Perhaps. I know that the spot I was at was one where people have fished numerous times, and given that someone once drowned there who had been fishing but decided to cool off and jumped in, my activity shouldn't have been seen as THAT odd.

If they thought I was struggling in the water as that guy had and the call was one of making sure I was OK, I'd understood that, and I know that especially after this people are on edge. But gee whiz, cooling off in a creek where others have fished before numerous times shouldn't be treated like someone chatting Allah in a crowded airport.

Old 06-12-2016, 12:30 PM

22,952 posts, read 22,399,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Same here .... not allowed to donate, either.
Thankfully as soon as the call for blood went out a line started and within minutes stretched all the way around the block as shown on the news. The blood bank stated they were calling in several mobile blood mobiles to assist.
It looked like people were showing up with water/food for those in line as well.
Good for you Orlando!

Old 06-12-2016, 12:34 PM

9,649 posts, read 6,933,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
It's like deja vu of Paris night club incident.
Maybe more than you know.....

Orlando Sentinel

Gunman Who Killed 50 At Orlando Nightclub Pledged Allegiance To ISIS CBS New York

Old 06-12-2016, 12:35 PM

3,911 posts, read 3,433,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Someone on my FB feed just brought up a point:

There are a lot of LGBT+ people, especially younger ones, who are still closeted and haven't told their families about their sexuality. If any of them got killed or injured, it's likely their family would not know or think to ask if their loved one was there. How would they even go about to find out?
I think that may be a possibility. However I think it would be the exception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or